What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast or Gold Coast?

The 16th team should be...

• Central Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bender

Juniors
Big-Steve said:
Also comparing the Sydney Premier League comp to the Queensland Cup is unreasonable. It’s not a similar standard most Premier league teams include Current NRL first graders! And none of the Queensland teams are under direct pressure from 10 odd NRL sides buying up their players on a regular basis like North Sydney and Newtown are.

The Qld Cup sides regularly beat the NSW Premier League equivalents in trial games. Qld Cup is easily a similar standard to to the NSW comp, probably stronger. Where do you think that Cowboys, Broncos and Melbourne first graders play when they dont make the 1st team, not in the sydney premier league, that is for sure. Qld cup also is the only of the two comps who will have a current Kangaroo playing fulltime for them this year. It is a shame that there isnt a playoff game each year or even a challenge cup to sort the issue out, but in any case, saying that the Qld Cup is not a similar standard to the NSW premier league is silly. Unless of course you think it is much higher, which is arguable but probably not sustainable.

t-ba

Post Whore
Norths are most certainly dead as an NRL entity. The Bears are simply waiting for an ideal time and an opportunity to arise again.

Clubs in Sydney will die, and Norths Will acquire a dead clubs license. The won't get the new franchise, but you can guarantee if Manly, Souths or Cronulla fall by the wayside that license is heading 100km north.

Razor

Coach
1. Gold Coast
2. Perth
3. Wellington
4. 2nd Brisbane
5. Central Coast
6. Adelaide
7. Redcliffe

Should be the order of new teams for new licences. Of course teams could relocate to other areas first. Something I think Wests(to Perth), Bulldogs(to Wellington), Sharks(to Adelaide), Roosters(to Brisbane) should do. So only Gold Coast, Redcliffe and Central Coast be new NRL teams, to leave the perfect number of 18 teams.

Razor

Coach
Sheros los Deros said:
I voted for the central coast.

The Gold Coast has already had an opportunity, and they weren't competitive. Why would they be any better now? Adding a side as wooden spoon contenders, will not make the competition stronger.

Most of the time the Gold Coast were in, they didn't actually play in the Gold Coast. They played in Tweed Heads, which is in NSW.

Ever since they moved to the actual Gold Coast in QLD at Carrara, they did perform very well financially.

And they were at a crap stadium, which the QLD government had given money to upgrade before the Gold Coast was kicked out(in fact they had started).And the current QLD government has also given its word that they will upgrade the stadium to a 35,000 seat RL stadium

Big-Steve

Juniors
bender said:
Big-Steve said:
Also comparing the Sydney Premier League comp to the Queensland Cup is unreasonable. It’s not a similar standard most Premier league teams include Current NRL first graders! And none of the Queensland teams are under direct pressure from 10 odd NRL sides buying up their players on a regular basis like North Sydney and Newtown are.

The Qld Cup sides regularly beat the NSW Premier League equivalents in trial games. Qld Cup is easily a similar standard to to the NSW comp, probably stronger. Where do you think that Cowboys, Broncos and Melbourne first graders play when they dont make the 1st team, not in the sydney premier league, that is for sure. Qld cup also is the only of the two comps who will have a current Kangaroo playing fulltime for them this year. It is a shame that there isnt a playoff game each year or even a challenge cup to sort the issue out, but in any case, saying that the Qld Cup is not a similar standard to the NSW premier league is silly. Unless of course you think it is much higher, which is arguable but probably not sustainable.

Come on mate you know that the concentration of current NRL players is higher in the Sydney Comp and Norths and Newtown are in particular situations. Norths had to virtually start from scratch after it came out of debit and a great Queenslander, Gary Larson is doing a decent job of re-building them. Take a Queensland cup side put it in the same situation as Norths and see how they go.

My original point was that this journalist feels the need to criticize the Bears and this is what I was arguing my point on I was not trying to criticize the Queensland Cup. I am also a big fan of the 2 comps having a championship (I have suggested exactly this myself before).

Cheers

IKnowIt

Juniors
Both the Central Coast and Gold Coast have solid credentials for an NRL team. If anything they both have equal credentials and no real advantage overall over each other. Ideally I would like to see the Bears come back via the Central Coast, and there is a most pressing need for another team in the Brisbane/South East Queensland area.

The Gold Coast has also been a graveyard for top-level teams (as others have listed), but none have had the long term support needed from the governing body to enable it to gain acceptance and build support. The AFL supports Sydney and Brisbane because they know how important they are for there competition, and they will continue to support them until they can support themselves, the NRL needs to do this for all expansion clubs (Melbourne included). The Gold Coast and Central Coast will not need as much support though.

The Central Coast also had the Northern Eagles at one stage to support but didn't, and I don't blame the people for doing that. North Sydney was moving up there and because there were construction problems with the stadium (which is out of the Bears control) the move was delayed which hurt the Bears financially. The NRL also said that they would support the Bears, which they ultimately didn't. The Northern Eagles was never going to work, anybody in League with even the most basic knowledge on the game would know a merger between Norths and Manly was never going to work, and the Manly only version of the Northern Eagles was just that, a different version of Manly.

Would you support a team you didn't like simply because it was your closest team? I live closer to 3 different teams from my own and I would never support something other than my own club, the only time I go to these teams grounds is when my club is playing against them.

Ideally I would like to see both the Central Coast and Gold Coast in the Competition but for the NRL's long term interest the Gold Coast should get the go ahead first.

Razor

Coach
IKnowIt said:
Would you support a team you didn't like simply because it was your closest team?

No but I would go to the games because I like watching RL.

I despise the Broncos but goto 8-9 Bronco games a year because I love watching the game.

Central Coast people told the NRL we don't want to support RL, we just want to support our team. That wouldn't be something the NRL is looking for. Gold Coast has shown the past 3 years with the huge trial crowds - all sold out, except last weekend when it was 40 degrees, no matter the teams, that it supports RL, not just a Gold Coast team. Even the Gold Coast bidding team would support a relocated Sydney team. Central Coast rejects that as an option.

Big-Steve

Juniors
I'm very happy the discussion has started although the NRL still seems to be stalling on the expansion bit.

Singo Puts His Submission On The Table For The CC Team To The NRL Tomorrow Friday
CENTRAL COAST HERALD - 25/2/2004

Plans for a Central Coast team in the National Rugby League will be vastly superior to a rival bid from the gold coast.

Russell Tate, representing the John Singleton-led consortium behind the Central Coast team bid, said yesterday that while the Gold Coast has a reasonable case for a team of it's own in the NRL it's case was not as compelling as ours.

"The Central Coast's case is a structured, well-though-out plan that is totally funded and totally viable", Mr Tate said.

"The issues of financial support, the 20,000-seat capacity of Central Coast stadium and support for rugby league in the region are believed to be the key features of the Singleton bid".

Mr Tate said exact details of the local bid would not be revealed publicly until they were presented to the NRL board and league chief David Gallop on Friday.

"Financial support is a fact" Mr Tate said. "It is not something that may or may not come from sponsors and crowds-Singo has already put the money on the table".

"Support for rugby league in the region has not waned" he said.

"You only have to look back to last saturday night when nearly 11,000 people turned up (at Central Coast stadium) to watch Souths and Wests in a trial", Mr Tate said.

"They're not really teams expected to do that well this year, but an extraordinary amount of people still turned up to see them'.

But it remains apparent that a Central Coast team in the NRL will only come about through the demise of an existing club or expansion of the competition by the NRL. Mr Gallop maintains that the latter won't be considered before 2006.

John singeleton, who will join the consortium when it meets the NRL on Friday, insists that the NRL should stop-sitting on its hands and make a decision about the competition's expansion.

Following a recent meeting with Rupert Murdoch-whose company News Ltd has interests in the NRL- Mr singleton said "commonsense must prevail in regard to a Central Coast NRL franchise"

While he said the league should be looking at expansion now and not in two or three years time he also identified six clubs vulnerable to losing their licence including the News Ltd-owned Melbourne storm.

"Melbourne has no support only about 6000 people watch the games' it's not given any coverage, no radio airplay and no Foxtel subscribers", Mr singleton said.

"It's a folly".

"We have the money in the bank the ground, the junior player base and we'll get the best coach available".

"We could have sell-outs every game if we can get the right to a franchise".

Big-Steve

Juniors
eagleangel said:
an article from rleague i found quite valid...

Gold Coast the only choice for the 16th NRL side
Mon Feb 23, 10:46am (QLD)
Written by: Cameron Smith

Read - Biased Reporting.

I've just been told from a reliable source that supossed professional journalist Cameron Smith is apparently a Manly Supporter and hates the Bears.

It's not surprising concidering what he says in the article.

littleduck

Juniors
Razor said:
Hulkamanic 36 said:
not relocated ones either

What's wrong with relocated teams?
they seem to work better into nontraditional areas, as the bris lions afl team show. fitzroy provide the history, brisbane provides the future.

i just cant see the entire gold coast embracing a sydney teams heritage and culture. a distinctly gold coast team would work far better.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
How about both, whats wrong with having both teams enter the comp at the same time. The reason I say this is because we would have so many people whinge one way or the other. GC needs a team because its gets more QLD juniors involved in the NRL, and is a good area to play league. CC is also a good area and is one of the biggest junior developments in Australia, and it needs a team for sure we cant loose it to Union.

It would be a disgrace not to have the Central Coast in the competition.

greeneyed

First Grade
The answer is obviously NEITHER. Teams for Perth and Adelaide first are the priorities, then Wellington or Christchurch. Then an extra team in Brisbane.

If people think Central Coast or Gold Coast are goers, it is a joke.... let alone places like Redcliffe........

Surandy

Bench
Big-Steve said:
Following a recent meeting with Rupert Murdoch-whose company News Ltd has interests in the NRL- Mr singleton said "commonsense must prevail in regard to a Central Coast NRL franchise"

While he said the league should be looking at expansion now and not in two or three years time he also identified six clubs vulnerable to losing their licence including the News Ltd-owned Melbourne storm.

"Melbourne has no support only about 6000 people watch the games' it's not given any coverage, no radio airplay and no Foxtel subscribers", Mr singleton said.

I think Singo should try coming to a Melbourne Storm home game if he seriously thinks we only have 6000 watch the games and no foxtel subscribers.

Storm's smallest crowd from memory was about 7,800 when an AFL game involving two popular Melbourne teams was being played at the nearby MCG. The Storm averaged 9,626 for their home games in 2003.

Not all fans can get to every game due to other commitments like work and family.

As for tv and radio coverage, well the NRL should bring more pressure to bear on Channel Nein and local radio stations. The Storm administration and supporters are damn well doing a bit to try and get more coverage.

If Singo really did make those comments then I seriously hope Gold Coast get a licence before the Central Coast. The NRL doesn't need another NSW team.

DIEHARD

----
greeneyed said:
The answer is obviously NEITHER. Teams for Perth and Adelaide first are the priorities, then Wellington or Christchurch. Then an extra team in Brisbane.

If people think Central Coast or Gold Coast are goers, it is a joke.... let alone places like Redcliffe........

What is the point? We have to support the storm until they are viable and going well. Government support, good crowds, on field success, a proper junior system, local players in the side and media support. We do not need to have Perth and Adelaide at this point in time. Just for the sake of having a national competition. Its ridiculous! They would be nothing more than shells of clubs.

If you care for a national competition. Give the Storm concessions and spend millions on the local junion system. Give them proper developement support. Bring the storm up to standard so their future is assured. Spend millions pumping money and support into the local perth and adelaide teams. Schedule NRL games there as one offs during the year. Push for fair national TV coverage for rugby league. We dont need three clubs relying on players from QLD and NSW and with uncertain futures. If your rehashed Perth and Adelaide clubs fold. It certainly is GAME OVER.

We can't screw new Perth and Adelaide clubs up. We only have one chance if that. And certainly not just for the fact that we can say, "WE GOT A NATIONAL COMPETITION! YIPPEH!!!!" Trust me it would last a few years and collapse, then the joke is on us. And the money is better spent...differently.

Perth and Adelaide the priority? Don't be a dick!

Bring in the Gold Coast and a North Brisbane club. Queensland has a right to more than just two clubs!

Don't listen to greeneyed! He will bring us all to doom!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Melbourne's crowds are poor is because Olympic Park is too expensive for those diehard league supporters. And its a crap ground too, since they moved to Colonial Stadium and moved back to Olympic Park, some of the fans turned away from going to the games. Plus theres been good TV coverage so thats the reason the crowds are down.

Diehard, if we're gonna get a North Brisbane team in the competition, where would they play. Lets not go back the Crushers, what a waste that was.

And if we're gonna have a team outside Eastern Australia, if has to be Perth. Theyve got a good comp going, good ground and a few juniors playing in the NRL/Premier League. Bring back the Reds!!!

But before we bring in Perth, Adelaide or Wellington, Central Coast and Gold Coast comes first. :D

rugged

Juniors
Well if Sydney had ONE team like Brisbane has, then I'd say that the Central Coast needed a team!!!

Wake up to yourselves and realise that Queensland deserves more than 2 teams you Sydneycentric people!!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Of course Qld need another team you fool. Theyve got a lot of juniors up there.

CC needs a team as well.

Get over yourself :roll: :x

coolumsharkie

Referee
Has anyone considered a team comprised of both regions?

"Combined Coasts" or something!? that way they both get a team in the NRL,it would solve any relocation issues or speculations (which means loss of SUPPORTERS to other codes).

OK its a weird idea but it might work...... :eek:

DIEHARD

----
It'd die a terrible death. The Gold Coast deserve their own club and the Central mob have already shown us what they think of joint ownership of a club. :|

Latest posts