What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Centre of Excellence - Whats doing ???

SaintPauli

Juniors
ALL the Sydney Clubs

Souths
Cronulla
Easts
Wests Tigers
Canterbury
Parramatta $40 million
Penrith - Built & Operating
& including Newcastle $20 million

have all officially announced a Centre of excellence
which is partly funded by the state goverment.
All will be operating by 2020

(Except and Only Dragons)

Whats doing ??? dragons management, shares holders and sponsers !
You made a vague statement ,

"Dragons comment on Centre of Excellence funding"
Wed 20 Dec 2017, 11:00 AM
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/20/dragons-comment-on-centre-of-excellence-funding/

We are fed up with not being updated or second guessing how Dragons Management are planning this great club.
We keep hearing how we are a juniors development and NRL feeder club yet we are lagging behind ALL the clubs
in the Sydney NRL.

merahputih

Juniors
Even if the NSW Government chipped in for a 'Centre of Excellence' for the Dragons I doubt the club could afford to pay for it. Mary's now legendary painting of the gym a few years ago was partly to save the club about $100,000. He also apparently called in favors all around town to negotiate cheap deals to upgrade the gym equipment. Bruce Gordon's WIN Corp. is closing down news rooms in its country radio stations in a cost cutting program, so they may not be willing to stump up any cash for this centre. Scandal ridden financial basket cases like the Eels and Sharks can afford it but a club like the Dragons can't. Go figure?

jak

Bench
Even if the NSW Government chipped in for a 'Centre of Excellence' for the Dragons I doubt the club could afford to pay for it. Mary's now legendary painting of the gym a few years ago was partly to save the club about $100,000. He also apparently called in favors all around town to negotiate cheap deals to upgrade the gym equipment. Bruce Gordon's WIN Corp. is closing down news rooms in its country radio stations in a cost cutting program, so they may not be willing to stump up any cash for this centre. Scandal ridden financial basket cases like the Eels and Sharks can afford it but a club like the Dragons can't. Go figure?
come on merahputih be fair the gym got undercoat plus two coats of high gloss.

redV06

Juniors
Tottenham FC are setting up an academy with Uni of Wollongong (agreement for 5 years in place). We should look at doing something similar..

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Our management and reporting to members has been severely deficient for many years.
It is a key responsibility of the board to update members on activities and plans going forward.
We receive nothing of any substance and it would seem that we have day to day crisis management in place.
A real shambles of a business with no real plan or direction.

FlameThrower

Bench
We are not a top tier team anymore.
Board is living in the past with the glorious 11 in a row glory days.
We could have purchased property in 60’s and 70’s around Kogarah - that could have funded a proper centre of excellence.
What’s happening with that Sizzlers building?
WIN buy out has not really brought us an extra corporate muscle?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
We are not a top tier team anymore.
Board is living in the past with the glorious 11 in a row glory days.
We could have purchased property in 60’s and 70’s around Kogarah - that could have funded a proper centre of excellence.
What’s happening with that Sizzlers building?
WIN buy out has not really brought us an extra corporate muscle?

WIN isn't interested in the Dragons of Kogarah. Their focus is moving everything down to Wollongong.

They will state it is not cost effective to run two sets of everything, ie: grounds, clubs. I'm quite sure they will allow the club to die a natural death, Jubilee to be for lower grades only.

They will say that these hard decisions must be made to stay viable.

Mark my words, it will happen.... it already is in place. We are just watching it vanish before our eyes.

Our weak board (Saints) a totally non qualified board, in the name of sharing and looking after each other, have sent us up the river.

People may say l'm overacting but blind Freddy can see what's happening.

Gareth67

First Grade
Most unfortunately I do believe that you are right OKB1 , it would appear that our southern cousins are no longer the ‘ kissing ‘ type and wish to be allowed to run the whole show .

Honestly thought that B.Gordon would had helped turned the Joint Venture into one of the better clubs in the competition - how wrong I was , more so that many on this forum had forewarned the members of the likelihood of the current situation occurring.

As you have said the Saints board seem to be incapable of doing anything to prevent this from continuing , poor old Frank Facer would be turning in his grave if he could see the state of the club as it now is . To borrow one of possums favorite lines “its a f##king mess ! “

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Been reading for years. Long before our last premiership. My first post. Maybe the club should do a go fund me ?

Welcome to the Print Room, mate.
Hope you don't wait for another premiership before your next post, half the forum will be six foot under if that's the case!

As you were.....

"Centre of Excellence" = Over-priced gym.

That we are the only Sydney club not dumb enough to pay for the wankfest shitholes is one of the only things we have to be proud of.