What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chad

PJ

First Grade
Put in the best kick I have seen him do for a try.

Other than that same Chad, different jersey. Though the Warriors did seem to prefer the 19 year old for a lot of last tackle kicks.

bluefox68

Staff member
If anyone feels like a good laugh - check out the article on the ‘Sporting News’ website, where Chad relates his “advice” to Reece Walsh.

If you can stand reading it, you will witness an incredible exercise in utter delusion and inexplicable lack of self-awareness!

bluefox68

Staff member

Chad Townsend's message for Reece Walsh after narrow defeat to Brisbane​

WRITTEN BYBRENDAN BRADFORD
@1bbradfo

Reece Walsh

LEAGUE
NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS
NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS V CANBERRA RAIDERS
BRISBANE BRONCOS
BRISBANE BRONCOS V NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS
CANBERRA RAIDERS
LEAGUE

Warriors playmaker Chad Townsend backs Reece Walsh to learn and grow from last weekend's heartbreaking defeat to the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

Still in his first season in the NRL, Walsh is already a proven match-winner for the Warriors, but was left crestfallen after missing a tough conversion and a long-range two-point drop goal attempt in the dying stages of Sunday's 24-22 loss to Brisbane.

Townsend, who was playing his first game in the halves in a month after recovering from a shoulder injury, said the side wanted Walsh to have the ball in his hands in the closing stages of the game.

You want the ball in those situations. It’s what you live for. You dream about it and practise it.

“We backed him to kick it, it’s just unfortunate it didn’t go our way.”

After spending two seasons with the Warriors in no 2014 and 2015, Townsend is back at the club for the second half of 2021 before taking up a contract with the Cowboys next year.

With Tohu Harris injured, and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Leeson Ah Mau granted releases, the 191-game 30-year-old is the most experienced player in Nathan Brown's squad.

He made a point of speaking with Walsh, who, despite being drafted into the Queensland State of Origin squad in June, has still only played 14 first grade matches.

“He was one of the first guys I saw after the game,” he said.

“I went over to him and just asked how he was feeling. He was devastated, he couldn’t really talk. He was speechless.

I got him to make eye contact with me and just told him, ‘you’ve got a long career ahead. You’re not going to get every single opportunity, you’re going to make mistakes, you’re going to win the game sometimes and you’re going to lose the game sometimes. What’s important is you take a lesson out of it and learn from it.’

“An NRL career isn’t all rosy. It’s not all up the top. It’s a dead-set rollercoaster.

“The best thing about it is that he wanted the ball in that situation. You want your key guys to step up and want the ball. We can’t fault and will continue to back him.”

One of the most talented young players in the game, Walsh joined the Warriors from Brisbane in April.

Brown eased him into first grade, resisting the urge to play him in the halves full time despite a solid performance at five-eighth in a round eight win over North Queensland.

Townsend says there's a huge amount of pressure on Walsh's shoulders, and urged Warriors fans to be patient with his progression.

“People need to appreciate what he’s doing at such a young age,” he said.

“I think Reece has handled it really well. He’s got pressure, but he wants to step up, learn, and be a great player. We need to support him and find a way to take some pressure off as well.

“He handles the responsibility. He’s a huge part of this club and the way we play. He’s a big part of our attack and his positional play at fullback.

He’s still learning the game and learning to become an NRL player.”

snout

First Grade
There's guys who had far far better careers who show nowhere near the self importance of the Chad.
Man he's in for a tough 3 years.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Nothing like bagging a local junior, who won a premiership for his team and now is wanted in all parts.

You all know better.

The Chad, will have to live through a cyclone.

would still be no.1 in TA and FDO.
what kind of legend could pull that off.
plays less than half the season and still gets the Monty porter medal lol

Latest posts