What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

challenge cup final is a sell out

xXSANDYXx

Bench
Final is 73,000 sell-out

There will be a capacity crowd for next week's Powergen Challenge Cup final at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.
All 73,000 tickets for the rugby league showpiece between St Helens and Wigan have been snapped up, the first time the event has been sold out since 1997.

"We've been delighted by the response of the fans," said Gary Tasker, the Rugby Football League's marketing and development director.

A crowd of 78,022 watched St Helens beat Bradford at Wembley in 1997.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/challenge_cup/3698111.stm

looks promissing for league in Britain :D i wish i could be there :(

DrewBeliever

Juniors
I'm going, come on you mighty Cherry and White!!

Been there, done that worn the shirt- Bradford Bulls challenge cup winners 2003 :D

DrewBeliever

Juniors
Ooh there really inspirational, I've been to 3 now, the MurrayField one in 2000 between Bradford and Leeds, 2001 at Twickenham between St Helens and the Bulls sadly, my lads lost and the ground was really poor, and Millennium Stadium (Cardiff) where my Bulls beat Rhinos, that was the most important match of my life, and I will never forgett the atmosphere and conditions with the roof closed, and how tense a match the game was.

This weekend's will be my fouth, so I'm really buzzing about going back to Cardiff.
Can't wait till Wembley is built, I'm looking forward to it so much.

Hightown Tiger

Juniors
I went to the 2001 Super League grand final, although I'm told they don't compare to Challenge Cup finals.

I've always though Twickenham was an overrated ground. Must be soemthing to do with union being played their :D

DrewBeliever

Juniors
2001's Grand Final will never be forgotten either, that was a very special match with a great atmosphere, but the Bulls just kicked Wigan's back sides, and it seem's they never really showed up to play a Final.

Twickhenam is a dump, lucky, the Bulls supporters were placed in the fully sheltered Stand, and the unfrortunate winners on that day were pi$$ wet through at the end, but they deserved it, as they beat my Bulls, and I came home heart broken.
The stands don't have much leg room, and well basically it's not a nice Stadium.

Hightown Tiger

Juniors
Oops, I meant the 2000( I think?) grand final between Wigan and Saints.

I hate stadiums with little leg room (especially Old Trafford) with me being 6ft 3''

MjM

Juniors
DrewBeliever said:
2001's Grand Final will never be forgotten either, that was a very special match with a great atmosphere, but the Bulls just kicked Wigan's back sides, and it seem's they never really showed up to play a Final.
Great atmosphere? The '01 GF was the worst of the lot! The Bulls fans were quiet most of the game and we actually saw some outside less than 5 mins after the siren - hardly celebrating were they! And the Pies were predictably silent.

The '99 GF was probably the best for atmosphere of the ones so far. But I'd say the GF definitely tops the Challenge Cup Final nowadays. The last few of the latter have been quiet to say the least - including last years despite what some Leeds and Bradford fans might think. The '98 one was the last time I recall there being complete chaotic insanity. Although the game helped :D

Old Trafford seems to bring out the best in League fans - the '94 second test was perhaps the ultimate in atmosphere. At least as the teams walked out it was anyway. It went fairly quiet after that :?

DrewBeliever

Juniors
Huh :shock: all you have to do, is watch that video, if you taped it, and you will see the Bulls fans sang.
I thinbk the only ground where you can actually sing the oposition supporters sing, is Cardiff.

Well, that 1999 Grand Final, is one some would like to forgett along with 2002 :lol: :(