What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Champ’ Will Be Pumped: Burgess

03 May 2010

2010Rd8WrapBurgessDetail-869e4d4e-c3f6-4171-b8b7-7cc7e51729ec.jpg

Rabbitohs English representative Sam Burgess says City Origin debutant Beau Champion will be jumping out of skin to make his representative debut this Friday night in Port Macquarie.

Champion scored a double in yesterday’s loss to Manly taking his season tally to nine tries, helping to secure him a starting centre position with the City side.

Burgess, who made his representative debut with Great Britain when he was just 18 years of age, said Champion will be fired up all week to perform strongly in the City vs Country game and give himself a shot a NSW jersey later in the year.

“I’m pretty surely he’ll be pumped,” Burgess said.

“I know ‘Champ’, we’re pretty close because we play together on that right edge, and I know ‘Champo’ will be pumped and you know he thoroughly deserves it.

“He’s worked hard and he’s probably been, especially through training, been one of the ones that’s impressed me the most with his dedication and his will to win so you know he deserves it thoroughly.

“I’m over the moon for him and I’m pretty sure he’ll be excited and he’ll be celebrating if he wins.”

Burgess says the Rabbitohs have much to work on before their next game against the Wests Tigers in round 10.

“What I think we need to improve on is playing in that first 40 minutes,” Burgess said.

“We definitely played for the last 40 minutes in the last few weeks but we need to learn how to score points when the scoreboard’s nil-nil.

“We do it pretty easily when we’re behind and I’m not sure whether it’s a mental thing or not, but we need to fix it up if we want to give it a really good shake up this year.”

Speaking of the Tigers game, Burgess will be coming against two fellow Englishmen in Gareth Ellis and Mark Flanagan.

“I went for dinner with them last week and we didn’t really talk about it too much but I’m sure when it’s coming up to the game we’ll send a few texts out,” Burgess laughed.

“It’s all good. I can’t say we’ll be friends on the field but afterwards we’ll be friends.”

With the Rabbitohs scheduled to have their first bye this weekend, Burgess intends on getting away from Sydney and football for a few days.

“I was going to go up to the north coast which I think I might do for a little bit, just get up there and get to the beach and relax for a few days, kind of get away from the football in Sydney,” Burgess explained.

“I’ve got a few mates which are travelling up there so I’m going to go and catch up with them and try and do a bit more surfing and see if I can have a few days away.

“Try and put footy behind me for three days and then get back into it on Monday when we start back for the Tigers game.” h but I’m sure when it’s coming up to the game we’ll send a few texts out,” Burgess laughed.

“It’s all good. I can’t say we’ll be friends on the field but afterwards we’ll be friends.”

With the Rabbitohs scheduled to have their first bye this weekend, Burgess intends on getting away from Sydney and football for a few days.

“I was going to go up to the north coast which I think I might do for a little bit, just get up there and get to the beach and relax for a few days, kind of get away from the football in Sydney,” Burgess explained.

“I’ve got a few mates which are travelling up there so I’m going to go and catch up with them and try and do a bit more surfing and see if I can have a few days away.

“Try and put footy behind me for three days and then get back into it on Monday when we start back for the Tigers game.”

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/News/Club-News/Champ-Will-Be-Pumped-Burgess.html

cornerposter

Juniors
Champion's been great this year. Good to see him earn a rep spot & I dare say there's a NSW spot with his name on it.