What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Champion & Merritt

Blue Bagger 66

Juniors
Still can’t fathom how the NSW selectors continue to overlook the right side attack of South Sydney duo Champion and Merritt. Collectively they have scored 27 tries, compared to the combined total of 7 for what I presume will be our right side attack in Scott and Gordon. Sure Scott is there for his defence against Inglis but surely we need to ask questions of Inglis in defence by putting him under pressure with the speed of Champion and Merritt. Lets face it NSW need to score 24 points plus to have a chance and personally that right side is not capable of scoring points, unless from kicks. Also as much as Barrett has been a great player in the past I thought we were picking a side for the future? Barrett has already indicated he is retiring so why waste this perfect opportunity to blood a Soward, Sutton or Carney for that matter? Once again I am left baffled by the NSW selections but I shouldn’t be surprised as they are becoming as predictable as a QLD victory. Its groundhog day!

mrpwnd

Bench
Not Merritt
Champion definately.
But remember, scoring tries in club level doesn't mean scoring in origin(Brett Morris)

Mr Saab

Referee
Champion might get a run next yr of the year after, but Merritt is a million to one

Doomednow

Bench
Are you a bunnies fan by any chance? It seems everyone on here thinks wholesale changes need to be made to the team, mostly removing certain players and replacing them with their favourites from their own team. Take the (insert team colours here) glasses off and watch some other games between teams that aren't your own, please. Try and appreciate that objective stats don't always translate into origin form. Accept that sometimes certain teams will not be represented in your favourite origin side as much as you would like.

If everybody got their say we would be chopping and changing for the next three years based on every fanboy's favourite players at the moment, and by the time we got through them there be a whole bunch of new players people were demanding rep spots for.

On a side note, I'd be happy with less panthers players, please. After all the years outside the 8 I'm stoked we seem to have got it right and built a such a dynamic team. Those rep caps are going to make it difficult to keep that combination of players together for next year. Not to mention the increased risk of injuries destroying our season. Again. Take that as a consolation prize.

Last edited:

NGR

Juniors
Makes sense, souths are scoring more points than anyone else atm mainly because the sutton, champion, merrit combination... That is also the side of the field the least points are conceded too..

Looks like NSW will stick with their flavour of the month sides...

Lawrance and jennings were both dominated by souths when they pummelled them... particulary because of merrit, champion and sutton...

Eels Dude

Coach
Souths fans are getting annoying the way they whinge so much when their players aren't selected. Get over it. Just enjoy the fact your club is having a solid season for only the second time in the last twenty years.

NGR

Juniors
Souths fans are getting annoying the way they whinge so much when their players aren't selected. Get over it. Just enjoy the fact your club is having a solid season for only the second time in the last twenty years.

Dammed if we do, dammed if we dont.. Why shouldnt we be pissed that yet again the most prolific try scorer of the past 5 years is overlooked? Why shouldnt we be pissed that everyone makes out merrit is a bad defender when if you watched our games you would see he is one of the best defending wingers in the comp? Why shouldnt we be pissed that his stats glow in comparison to other players picked?

Ask those same questions for champion and sutton..

F88k me, we are coming 5th and putting away teams like melbourne and penrith yet we still arnt good enough? lol, what else do we have to do to get some recognition?

Eels Dude

Coach
Dammed if we do, dammed if we dont.. Why shouldnt we be pissed that yet again the most prolific try scorer of the past 5 years is overlooked? Why shouldnt we be pissed that everyone makes out merrit is a bad defender when if you watched our games you would see he is one of the best defending wingers in the comp? Why shouldnt we be pissed that his stats glow in comparison to other players picked?

Ask those same questions for champion and sutton..

F88k me, we are coming 5th and putting away teams like melbourne and penrith yet we still arnt good enough? lol, what else do we have to do to get some recognition?

Start by performing year after year. I've got nothing against Souths, they are my second favourite team after the Eels. But you can't expect any players in your side to be automatic inclusions in rep teams based on half a season of 'solid' form.

chills74

Juniors
Forget Laawrence and Jennings next year - i believe a certain M Gasnier will be in the side by game 1 next year!

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Forget Laawrence and Jennings next year - i believe a certain M Gasnier will be in the side by game 1 next year!

Yeah forget the dark days of 2009 and 2010. It will be the brighter days 2008 and 2006 all over again.

Yep Gasnier's the answer.

RHCP

Bench
Yeah forget the dark days of 2009 and 2010. It will be the brighter days 2008 and 2006 all over again.

Yep Gasnier's the answer.
You're forgetting one important factor that makes a great Origin player. He plays for the Dragons.

Latest posts