What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Championship Week

dogslife

Coach
NFC Championship game

San Francisco@Atlanta - 3pm local

AFC Championship game

Baltimore@New England - 6.30pm local

Discuss

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Come on Tom, a 4td 376 yard game would be lovely

Heart Says NE, Head saying the Ray Ray Train is Going To the Dome Feb 3 so with that NE 31 - BAL 28

Atlanta 24 - 49ers 34

Early SB Prediction NE- 17 - 49ers 31

dogslife

Coach
I think the Falcons can get it done this week. Being an underdog at home will hopefully fire the boys up. The biggest challenge will be containing SF's pass rush, they're pretty awesome. But we overcame Seattle's secondary which I think is better than SF's, and we've got a better defense than the Packers, and unlike them we're capable of making adjustments throughout the game and not leaving the middle of the field wide open. And Kaepernick is coming into a hostile environment, last time he did that it was a bloodbath.

Hoping the Ravens get up too. They're probably my favourite team in the AFC

abpanther

Staff member
I'm feeling quite confident about the 49ers v Falcons game from the 49ers perspective. I guess in terms of things going for us, Kaepernick is obviously playing lights out, Crabtree has emerged and our Oline has just gotten better and better. Atlanta was in the bottom third of the league in stopping the run (although they have tightened up as of late and did a great job of stuffing Lynch) so I think we should be able to get the running game going. In terms of our O vs the Falcons D, I expect them to gear up to stop the read option, they will be sending their ends wide and pinching the line to contain Kap and any running lanes. I actually expect our coaching staff to minimise the read option stuff in an effort to counter Atlanta, I expect to see plenty of power running and playaction stuff. Zach Miller seemed to have success last week so I expect Davis and Walker to feature heavily. On the other side, it will be a mighty tough task to cover Jones, White and Gonzo, who in my opinion are the best trio in the league. Despite his performance last week, I’m still not sold on Ryan; he made some questionable throws (that last INT was horrendous) and seemed to fold as the Seahawks were coming back. Falcons Oline did a great job of giving him plenty of time, the 49ers front four needs to get there and rough him up a little, if they can do that I can see a few turnovers. It will be another close high scoring game, just hoping the 49ers can do enough to take it.

In the AFC, I think this will be a close game. I think the Pats O will put up 30+ points, they have plenty of weapons (even with Gronk out) and the Ravens D has hardly been stellar. The big question in this one, can Flacco continue his impressive postseason so far and score enough points to keep the Ravens in it? Pats D is pretty stout against the run so I expect him to have to air it out often to keep up. Torrey Smith will be huge in this game and I expect Belichik to take him away and force Flacco to win with Boldin and his TEs. In the end, I see the Pats winning something like 35-24

abpanther

Staff member
My biggest concern is all the attention that Kap and the 49ers is getting right now, I really hope it doesn't get to their heads.

The other interesting thing is that Atlanta's performances this year against a similar QB, Cam Newton, were horrendous.

The 49ers coaches said that they shied away from the read option stuff late in the season as they were saving it for the playoffs, specifically the Packers as they saw a weakness there. I expect given how much attention it is getting, they will look to get back to their more traditional offense

AnfieldIron

Juniors
Brady doesn't hold a whole lot of fear for the Ravens. We've managed to take him away on a few games recently and we have a pretty good record against the Pats. Should have won the Championship game last year bar Evans and Cundiff.

I don't know if we'll win it, but I know we'll be damn close.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Atlanta could be go either way with the playoff win under their belt, it could give them a boost, or they could feel like it's mission accomplished and the 49ers win easily, I think the latter will happen.

I'll back Belichick/Brady in the other game, too many weapons.

dogslife

Coach
My biggest concern is all the attention that Kap and the 49ers is getting right now, I really hope it doesn't get to their heads.

The other interesting thing is that Atlanta's performances this year against a similar QB, Cam Newton, were horrendous.

The 49ers coaches said that they shied away from the read option stuff late in the season as they were saving it for the playoffs, specifically the Packers as they saw a weakness there. I expect given how much attention it is getting, they will look to get back to their more traditional offense
That's been the news for the past 2 weeks, how we've struggled against the mobile QB. We're 4-1 though and were supposed to be torched by Lynch and Wilson last week, so I'm not buying into it, but we shall see. And as I said, I'm looking forward to getting Kaepernick out of his comfort zone at Candlestick and throwing him into a hostile environment

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
San Francisco police have interviewed 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree about allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman in the city following the team's victory last weekend, The Chronicle has learned.

The alleged attack occurred at an unnamed hotel early on Jan. 13, hours after the team's victory over the Green Bay Packers at Candlestick Park.

The incident is being investigated by the Special Victims Unit, whose detectives have interviewed Crabtree with his lawyer present. Crabtree has agreed to make himself available for possible further interviews about an assault.

The 25-year-old player - who has not been detained or arrested - is expected to play in Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/49ers-Crabtree-sex-assault-investigation-4207109.php

Not what we need at all!!

abpanther

Staff member
Reports coming through that it seems like a nothing story, they are just going through the formal process.

Getting real excited for this game, very nervous!!!

Parra

Referee
Brady doesn't hold a whole lot of fear for the Ravens. We've managed to take him away on a few games recently and we have a pretty good record against the Pats. Should have won the Championship game last year bar Evans and Cundiff.

I don't know if we'll win it, but I know we'll be damn close.

Interesting stats from NFL.com. Recent Ravens/Pats history

03/12/2007 Pats 27 Ravens 24
04/10/2009 Ravens 21 Pats 27
10/01/2010 Ravens 33 Pats 14
17/10/2010 Ravens 20 Pats 23
22/01/2012 Ravens 20 Pats 23
23/09/2012 Ravens 31 Pats 30

Makes the +8.5 for the Ravens look good.

Latest posts