What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 wins TV rights

hutch

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...7/news-story/caa68aa3e1d0bf60c10f8a29d1baa166

Footy Form

Channel Seven has won the television rights to the Rugby League World Cup in 2017

an hour ago
Phil Rothfield ExclusiveThe Daily Telegraph
Subscriber Exclusive Icon

The short turnaround debate contradicted

CHANNEL Seven has snuck under the guard of Channel Nine and Fox Sports to secure the television rights for the upcoming rugby league World Cup in Australia next year.

And there are plans to launch the tournament in Melbourne on Derby Day at Flemington with a Kangaroos-England blockbuster at the MCG two hours after the last race.

Channel Seven is believed to have paid almost $10 million for the Australian rights. The network’s highly respected sports news director Jim Wilson is certain to host the tournament.

Now they have to find some commentators, with most already aligned to Nine and Fox Sports on five year contracts.

The rights were owned by the International Rugby League Federation and sold to IMG to carry out a tender process with Australia’s TV networks and world broadcasters.

The tournament will be played over five weeks starting in the last weekend of October.

Seven will show the big matches on their main free-to-air channel and minor games on their digital on 7mate.

World Cup tournament director Michael brown has revealed every state and territory in Australia has been bidding to host games.

Greg Inglis and Paul Gallen with the World Cup trophy. Picture Gregg Porteous
“We’re looking to achieve a good spread of matches right across the country including venues like Adelaide Oval,” Brown said, “It’s a fantastic opportunity to grow the game.

“You’ll end the NRL season in early October, have a few weeks rest, then the World Cup is on.

“We’re anticipating enormous interest and that’s why Channel Seven wanted the rights.”

Brown said Seven were keen bidders from the beginning of negotiations.

“We spoke to our partners at Nine and Fox Sports but we always knew seven wanted it,” Brown said, “It was a tender process and they were the keenest.

“It is a great result for rugby league to have the game on three networks next year.

“It gives us another reach and it’s on an AFL channel. It shows the dominance of our game

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Great news. I enjoyed Ryan Phelan's passion last time around and hope he fronts the RLWC17 over that AFL buffon Jim Wilson. Nearly $10mil for TV rights, that's pretty impressive and imagine what the RLIF can do with that money!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I thought their coverage in 2013 was good. Every game live on 7 mate and replayed again the following day.

Looking forward to this one.

Burns

First Grade
Lots of interesting tidbits here. Firstly, $10 million is incredible. 7 did a great job showing games from the 2013 World Cup. I hope they can sign Vossy and the like who are actually supportive of the international game.

The real juicy stuff is Australia and England in same group possibly, and then being played at the MCG? Also Adelaide Oval? Those venues seem incredibly ambitious and I'm not confident they would work without a HUGE marketing push.

PaulyTom

Juniors
I loved watching the last world cup games on seven mate. I think this will be the biggest and best rlwc ever.

Can't wait to hear more in regards to cities and venues.

Burns

First Grade
Also hope that 'Main Games' don't just mean games featuring Australia like we had with Channel 9 during the 2008 World Cup.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Also hope that 'Main Games' don't just mean games featuring Australia like we had with Channel 9 during the 2008 World Cup.

Ch 9 did the ones from the super pool, Aus, Eng, Nzl and PNG, plus the semis and final. Aside from the semis and final, the games werent live.

No doubt 7 will show them live.

yakstorm

First Grade
That money will go to RLWC 2017 Pty Ltd. At the end of the tournament any profits will go to the RLIF.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Suncorp could sell out an England vs Australia. MCG will be a push but you never know if promoted the right way.