What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 wins TV rights

Stallion

First Grade
Chanell 7 have also smoothed over some embarassing attendances at this world cup very well. Thankfully they have done this in a tactful way. Surely questions with respects to high ticket prices must be asked in a review? Thankfully most of the footy has been entertaining and gained very good tv audiences!

Last edited:
Mark Braybrooks call of Gagai try (which he confused Gagai with Chambers ) was embarassing. At least it is not getting replayed on the highlights

Vee

First Grade
Forgot to mention how good Laurie Daley's half time analysis has been.

His footy brain is so good, he could have won Origin if he was coaching Qld.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Channel 7 Commentary

Post game Tonga v England game, i think everyone's emotions were running a little high in the studio. Benji thought that Tonga were the better team, (trailing 20-0 eh?), i guess everyone has an opinion, bit like a nose. The lady on the panel did not want England to win from the start, she wrote them off after the png game. They seemed to all really want tonga to win

For my two bobs it was a fifita knock-on

Funny thing, after one of ad breaks, it felt like they had been told to get over it, from the producer or executive? As they positively talked up the final

Last edited:

Golden point

Juniors
Chanell 7 have also smoothed over some embarassing attendances at this world cup very well. Thankfully they have done this in a tactful way. Surely questions with respects to high ticket prices must be asked in a review? Thankfully most of the footy has been entertaining and gained very good tv audiences!
Totally agree. When the crowd were poor it was dealt with appropriately, didn't focus on it and just highlighted the footy. Even the floggings were shown in a tasteful way and was even still enjoyable.
I think if it were channel 9 an their guy's just having a dig , it would have been terrible.

Springs09

Juniors
The majority of Channel 7's coverage has been great, they are better than 9 merely by having all games on FTA, but Braybrook and Belcher are appalling, there's a reason why they're no longer at Fox. And the panel were much too bias and ref-blaming after the England-Tonga game.

Knight76

Juniors
Mark Braybrooks call of Gagai try (which he confused Gagai with Chambers ) was embarassing. At least it is not getting replayed on the highlights

His comment also after the full time siren in the England/Tonga match, can't recall who it was but he commented on an English player comforting Taumalolo, when it was clearly Fafita he was comforting.

But overall I think the commentary has been pretty good.

Nightward

Juniors
Forgot to mention how good Laurie Daley's half time analysis has been.

His footy brain is so good, he could have won Origin if he was coaching Qld.

Some of his comments before games were hilarious, like questioning why teams were going in with 3-4 forwards on the bench when two would be enough against Pacific Island teams bristling with massive players.

Stallion

First Grade
His comment also after the full time siren in the England/Tonga match, can't recall who it was but he commented on an English player comforting Taumalolo, when it was clearly Fafita he was comforting.

Well spotted!

thorson1987

Coach

Haha I noticed that too.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
When the commentators were announced I honestly thought Braybrook would be the Third string commentator with Andrew Moore the main caller along with Dan Ginnane. Could not believe it when he was commentating the opener, he doesn't actually commentate as such but rather describes the game in a monotone.
Moore and Ginnane at least commentate with emotion and get excited when something happens.

Rory

Juniors
This world cup i reckon has been worse than 2013. I really enjoyed the BBCs commentary and coverage, and they didn't get players names wrong every 5 mintues. I also wish Andrew Voss was commentating still, he made a blow out game like PNG v NZ amazing and a joy to watch. The BBC made the world cup a more beautiful spectacle, and they wern't talking about f**king fiji and tonga every second. Seriously hope taumalolo and his clan play for nz and aus in the future. Btw f**k tonga.

Knight76

Juniors
When the commentators were announced I honestly thought Braybrook would be the Third string commentator with Andrew Moore the main caller along with Dan Ginnane. Could not believe it when he was commentating the opener, he doesn't actually commentate as such but rather describes the game in a monotone.
Moore and Ginnane at least commentate with emotion and get excited when something happens.

I was hoping Debbie Spillane was going to get a run.

Those were the days.

Reactions: Vee

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Not just during the matches but throughout the whole network, its been promoted everywhere. They even mention it on Sunrise or Morning Show and really promote the games, something Channel 9 would never do.

Well done Channel 7, another great job. I hope you do it again for 2021.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Considering Ginnane was in one of the photos leading into the cup I would've thought he'd be the main caller but I think only called 3 matches. Moore was excellent in some of the lower teir nations games and that call in the Italy/Fiji game was pretty good.

Braybrook still has the "don't care" attitude whenever there is a flogging. Even the Kiwi commentator in the Tonga/Samoa game sounded more exciting.

Probably one negative for Channel 7 is not using the other two commentators more often.

This world cup i reckon has been worse than 2013. I really enjoyed the BBCs commentary and coverage, and they didn't get players names wrong every 5 mintues. I also wish Andrew Voss was commentating still, he made a blow out game like PNG v NZ amazing and a joy to watch. The BBC made the world cup a more beautiful spectacle, and they wern't talking about f**king fiji and tonga every second. Seriously hope taumalolo and his clan play for nz and aus in the future. Btw f**k tonga.

Vossy, Dave Woods and there was a third commentator (don't know his name) were good cause their tone sounded exciting each time a try was scored and of course some of the games were pretty close.

They even had some useful facts on the some of the players, like USA they mention one of the players was from Hawaii and worked as a bartender.

Stallion

First Grade
Considering Ginnane was in one of the photos leading into the cup I would've thought he'd be the main caller but I think only called 3 matches. Moore was excellent in some of the lower teir nations games and that call in the Italy/Fiji game was pretty good.

Braybrook still has the "don't care" attitude whenever there is a flogging. Even the Kiwi commentator in the Tonga/Samoa game sounded more exciting.

Probably one negative for Channel 7 is not using the other two commentators more often.

Vossy, Dave Woods and there was a third commentator (don't know his name) were good cause their tone sounded exciting each time a try was scored and of course some of the games were pretty close.

They even had some useful facts on the some of the players, like USA they mention one of the players was from Hawaii and worked as a bartender.

On that note its a real shame no individual stories were done on players from each of the visiting nations participating. Im sure it would have been fascinating viewing hearing how they found rugby league and their background story. But no! None of this sort of human interest stuff occured. Dissappointing just like the ticket prices and ground allocations. Their's the negative aspect of the world cup. The positives are the football played and tv ratings.​

Rory

Juniors

They even had some useful facts on the some of the players, like USA they mention one of the players was from Hawaii and worked as a bartender.[/QUOTE]

Oath to that, vossy and co know there footy

grouch

First Grade
Channel 7 did a sensational job i thought. Was a welcome change on a number of fronts.

One other wonderful thing I did realise... minimal gambling shit! No crosses to Joel Caine or whoever else, no talk about odds or any of that crap. Pure

docbrown

Coach
Ray Warren usually spends half the game reading catalogues trying to decide what kind of sandals he'd like to purchase.

Latest posts