What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 commentary

Incorrect

Coach
Rabs was on fire today. Calling Gillett Parker and wondering why Kahu was kicking goals

Well past his used by date, shame to hear him like this

Don't forget that time all those years ago when Karmichael Hunt was still playing for the Boncos, he called him "C&^T" during the commentary.... turns out he was spot on though on that occasion....

hellteam

First Grade
Hadley says "straight through" about 30 times a game, about one in ten is actually a break.

He says "out the back" on any cut out pass (not a second man play).

He says "great" dozens of times a game.

He is getting worse.

hutch

First Grade
Channel 9's presentation is just old and boring. Rabs should have retired a decade ago, he is a terrible commentator these days. Hadley is even worse!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ive given up, i barely get to watch the game anymore...

I cant sit through a ch9 game for fear that Gus's bitching will give me a stomach ulcer and Fox is f*cking expencive.

Ill catch a few games at the pub, but really 9 has put me off NRL...

CSFC

Juniors
Hadley is absolute garbage. How he's made a career out of broadcasting is beyond me.

FlameThrower

Bench
Last night Dogs V Broncos, was terrible, Hadley, Wally, Lockyer, broadcasting like it was only going into Brisbane and you wonder why most ppl hate the Broncos Friday night games?

no name

Coach
if it's true that Rabs has a job as long as he wants it, I hope he gets off the punt soon.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

If Smith gets a massive offer from Ch 9, he'd surely take it. Of course there's no gurantee Raaayyy would get the top job considering he's said he's nearly retiring, thank god.

If Mat Thompson is still at Ch9 he'd be the second caller.

Andrew Voss might be paying $5, but considering what Ch 9 did to him and he's got more gigs on Fox Sports, he'd be next to no chance of returning.

Joel Caine would be an interesting one, considering he's on 9 but mainly for his Sportsbet gigs.

Also Andrew Moore wouldnt be a bad one, Im listening to ABC more now that he's their main caller.

Dan Ginane isnt too bad, but not a number 1 caller.

As for others in that list, Sterlo wouldnt want to do it. Neither would Graham Hughes. Jimmy Smith is a good commentator, not sure if he'd be a good caller, Jason Costigan ? Isnt he in politics?

And the female commentators, Erin Molan, nahh. Yvonne Sampson would be a better. And I cant believe Kelly Underwood was even mentioned. Probably the last person you'd expect, cause of her AFL background. Surprised Lara Pitt didnt get a mention as she's got a lot more Rugby League knowledge than Underwood.

undertaker

Coach
If Smith gets a massive offer from Ch 9, he'd surely take it. Of course there's no gurantee Raaayyy would get the top job considering he's said he's nearly retiring, thank god.

If Mat Thompson is still at Ch9 he'd be the second caller.

Andrew Voss might be paying $5, but considering what Ch 9 did to him and he's got more gigs on Fox Sports, he'd be next to no chance of returning.

Joel Caine would be an interesting one, considering he's on 9 but mainly for his Sportsbet gigs.

Also Andrew Moore wouldnt be a bad one, Im listening to ABC more now that he's their main caller.

Dan Ginane isnt too bad, but not a number 1 caller.

As for others in that list, Sterlo wouldnt want to do it. Neither would Graham Hughes. Jimmy Smith is a good commentator, not sure if he'd be a good caller, Jason Costigan ? Isnt he in politics?

And the female commentators, Erin Molan, nahh. Yvonne Sampson would be a better. And I cant believe Kelly Underwood was even mentioned. Probably the last person you'd expect, cause of her AFL background. Surprised Lara Pitt didnt get a mention as she's got a lot more Rugby League knowledge than Underwood.

Raaaaaaay would've been a chance had Rabs bowed out at the end of the previous tv rights deal but not now. He will be 63 or so at the beginning of the next tv rights deal in 2018, and as you said, he's nearly retiring and has taken on more hours at 2GB since his well-publicised divorce and other matters that I keep hearing about in the news. He has also scaled back his commentary commitments with Ch9, with Matt Thompson calling more matches. I agree that Matt Thompson will be the back-up caller.

I disagree about Graeme Hughes. I think he would definitely put his hand up if Ch9 approached him, but it won't happen since, like Raaaay, Hughes is over 60 and Ch9 are looking for a younger face for the long haul. It's a shame and waste of talent someone like Hughes is confined to a boring sports show in 2SM.

IMO, only Warren Smith or Andrew Voss are the two who have a 'broadcaster's voice' (if you know what I mean) that Ch9 are looking for as the 'voice of RL' to take over from Rabs, and both are in still in their 40s. Remember, events like Origin and the GF are broadcasted to an audience of over 3.5 million in Australia and one of the highest rated programs on tv in the year. Unfortunately for Voss, he'll always be out of favour with Ch9 whilst Gyngell is running the show. So, I agree that Smith will be the favourite especially if Ch9 give him a big money offer.

Last edited:

Latest posts