What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not showing Super League during Wimbleon?

hutch

First Grade
went to record my weekly super league games for this week and found out that channel 9 are showing wimbledon instead. of course i dont expect the tennis to be delayed for the sake of a super league replay, but i havnt been able to find the games anywhere else. seriously, why did channel 9 even buy the rights? they show the games at an hour where only zombies are awake, and if it doesnt suit them they dont bother showing it at all. i would much rather fox sports having the rights, even if they dont bother showing the games live each week.

i suppose i better ask if anyone knows if nine are just showing it at a different time for the next few weeks before blowing up too much?

RedVee

First Grade
Don't know for sure but I'd guess not. But they have the Go! channel, they should put them on there.

Lambretta

First Grade
Don't know for sure but I'd guess not. But they have the Go! channel, they should put them on there.

I suggested this to Nine and they advised that they have done extensive research and the feedback is that Go viewers (teenage girls) dont want League to be shown on that channel. Any sport actually.

Sunday night they showed Warrington away to Bradford. I recorded it.

Next week however......

deal.with.it

Juniors
The father of my friend is the Manager of NBN Gold Coast and he is a huge AFL fan. He explained to me that with Nine releasing their new GO channel, they did not get the rights to play any sport on GO. Their second channel can only play non sport programs. He also said that in the short term future, nine will either release a new channel for sport, or will apply to get their rights changed so they can play sport. I didnt quite understand it, since 7two is allowed to play replays of AFL games. Rather odd. And then you look at ten's second channel, and its soley sport, with no other channel for regular programs. I wonder who makes the rules?

Lambretta

First Grade
The father of my friend is the Manager of NBN Gold Coast and he is a huge AFL fan. He explained to me that with Nine releasing their new GO channel, they did not get the rights to play any sport on GO. Their second channel can only play non sport programs. He also said that in the short term future, nine will either release a new channel for sport, or will apply to get their rights changed so they can play sport. I didnt quite understand it, since 7two is allowed to play replays of AFL games. Rather odd. And then you look at ten's second channel, and its soley sport, with no other channel for regular programs. I wonder who makes the rules?

It's probably more to do with broadcasting licencing classes and how much each licence costs and what rights you have. For instance, a community channel showing programmes concerning that minorities programmes would not pay the same money as Channel 9 to broadcast programmes.

It comes down to the potential audience you will reach and the likely revenue return you would make on certain programming choices.

Take the History channel on Fox. Their broadcasting licence would be cheaper than say Fox Sports. Same company, but the audience pentration would be smaller for history programmes.

It's the same with entertainment licences for venues. The licence to sell food and alcohol is much more expensive than a food licence that allows BYO.

So in very simple terms, Nine werent sure if Digital was going to have a strong uptake (it did) and werent prepared to spend big on what was a new type of broadcasting, especially when the parent company in Singapore was having a massive cash flow problem due to the GFC 18 months ago when they launched.

stimpy u idiot

Juniors
Take the History channel on Fox. Their broadcasting licence would be cheaper than say Fox Sports. Same company, but the audience pentration would be smaller for history programmes.

ahhh .... what broadcasting licence? cable TV doesn't use radio spectrum (certainly not terrestrial radio spectrum) so it doesn't need to get a licence for a high-power transmitter of x watts at y frequency situated at site z.

unlike channel 2/7/9/10/SBS ... I'm not sure exactly how digital is different to the old analogue regime though, but its really the radio spectrum that is 'licenced' for a particular purpose (in this case for digital TV). based on my 20 years unused radio engineering experience I would have thought with digital TV you could multiplex a larger number of channels onto a single radio frequency/bandwidth but obviously the regulation is complex.

I enjoy watching the ESL on TV and it is a pisser that Nine plays it erratically enough that its hard to catch it. But I'm not so sure it's about GO! as I've noticed that Nine tends to screw over various TV programs that it doesn't see as 'core' (millionaire, friday night football etc). Everything else is expendable to them.

RedVee

First Grade
Hull Vs Wakefield last night (monday), and they started it about 5 minutes BEFORE advertised time.

WTF 9!!!! They have no respect for their audience.