What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charities

Do you trust them?

Why do some CEOs of these"not for profit" organisations get a salary in excess of 1 million AUD? WWF, Red Cross and Amnesty International to name a few.

Source: IRS Form 990 and glassdoor.com.

These organisations procure individuals, usually backpackers, to pester shoppers outside places like shopping centres and railway stations for no recompense, i.e volunteers.

Good on these organisations for fighting for a valid reason but....

....how much of donations is swallowed up with administrative costs, including salaries for executives?

I used to have a subscription to ChildFund, sponsoring an eight year old boy from Bali but no more.

The more I look at it, the more shady these organisations look.

Incorrect

Coach
I have a strong disdain for the merkins that stand in the middle of shopping centres who are firstly getting paid to be there, are spruiking for ongoing donations, and try and make you feel bad for saying no.
This. The practice should be banned from all shopping centre thoroughfares. If they are going to set up a kiosk or similar, it should be out of the way and the spruiking should be prohibited too. If people are inclined to make donations they can approach the said charity reps of their own volition and not because they feel guilted in to it by these merkins.

And in response to the OP, I went off some of these mainstream charity outfits after an experience my missus had with one of them (which I won't name here). But essentially my missus nominated her bank account to make contributions from when she and some workmates wanted to sponsor youth in need. After a while they decided to pull the pin. Despite communicating this decision to them, they continued to debit the monthly contribution from her account. Took a good 4 or 5 separate increasingly heated conversations with them before they finally stopped their theft for want of a better word....

Last edited:
This. The practice should be banned from all shopping centre thoroughfares. If they are going to set up a kiosk or similar, it should be out of the way and the spruiking should be prohibited too. If people are inclined to make donations they can approach the said charity reps of their own volition and not because they feel guilted in to it by these merkins.

And in response to the OP, I went off some of these mainstream charity outfits after an experience my missus had with one of them (which I won't name here). But essentially my missus nominated her bank account to make contributions from when she and some workmates wanted to sponsor youth in need. After a while they decided to pull the pin. Despite communicating this decision to them, they continued to debit the monthly contribution from her account. Took a good 4 or 5 separate increasingly heated conversations with them before they finally stopped their theft for want of a better word....
Direct debit is a minefield.

Latest posts