What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2018

Old Timer

Coach
I really hope we use this as a proper trial with at most a 20 man squad.
Not sure how Souths are going with injuries but with a bit of luck maybe they play Gagai and Inglis in the centres and that would help us provided Mc Fookknuckle concentrates on the fact he has to sort out the best combination from Mann, Lafai, Aitken and form in this game should be the guide for Rd 1.
Same applies to the LHS back row and I hope he realises that Sims should not be part of that process as he is a bench player best suited to the prop rotation.
Kerr went well for his 1st taste of NRL and on that basis also deserves some quality game time and to see him against a tough Souths pack will give us a better indication of where he is at.
It would also be good for Lomax to play again as it would be good to see what the kid can do with a bit of open ground against a backline with some definite pace in it.
I would like also to see what Robson can bring to the table as I think he went very well last night and having him split game time with Mc Innes may very well be to our advantage.
I think this squad should sort out the answers we are looking for and forget the rest for the time being.
Dufty
Mc Donald
Aitken
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
Hunt
Graham
Mc Innes
Vaughan
Frizz
Host
De Belin

Sims
Kerr
LAM
Leilua
Mann
Lomax
Robson

BennyV

Referee
Not sure how Souths are going with injuries but with a bit of luck maybe they play Gagai and Inglis in the centres and that would help us provided Mc Fookknuckle concentrates on the fact he has to sort out the best combination from Mann, Lafai, Aitken and form in this game should be the guide for Rd 1.
Same applies to the LHS back row and I hope he realises that Sims should not be part of that process as he is a bench player best suited to the prop rotation.
Kerr went well for his 1st taste of NRL and on that basis also deserves some quality game time and to see him against a tough Souths pack will give us a better indication of where he is at.
It would also be good for Lomax to play again as it would be good to see what the kid can do with a bit of open ground against a backline with some definite pace in it.
I would like also to see what Robson can bring to the table as I think he went very well last night and having him split game time with Mc Innes may very well be to our advantage.
I think this squad should sort out the answers we are looking for and forget the rest for the time being.
Dufty
Mc Donald
Aitken
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
Hunt
Graham
Mc Innes
Vaughan
Frizz
Host
De Belin

Sims
Kerr
LAM
Leilua
Mann
Lomax
Robson
I think Mann has 100% earnt a starting spot over Aitken. Other than that, starting line up looks fine. I’d love to see more of Kerr, Robson, Lomax and Field getting a shot (standouts from the youngsters) and I’d like Herbert to get a run - apparently had a blinder on Friday night and considering Garrick tanked it, would be good to see if we actually have him as a depth option.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Robson needs 40
Start Mcinnes, give him 20 then Robson for 40 .... if Mcinnes gets injured we need to know we have an alternative.

Would also give mann 80 at centre ... 40 on the left and 40 on the right ... start Aitken.

Dragsters

First Grade
If we learned anything from last night's performance then Robson, Lomax, Field and Kerr earnt themselves the opportunity to get some more game time next week.

At this point the team looks to be best serverd with Sims in the prop rotation with Host starting left egde back row and Luc coming on at the back end of each half for impact.

Imo there is little point trialling Latimore and Allgood again as they are known quantities, whereas Kerr showed some real promise and is worth exploring further.

Nene looked better on the left outside Lafai and Flo is the best option on the right wing ouside Mann, who on last nights performance must be first choice right centre based on both his attacking and defensive display.

I would go for 21 next week and I would go with...

1. Dufty
2. Nightingale
3. Mann
4. Lafai
5. McDonald
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizz
12. Host
13. De Belin

14. Sims
15. Ah Mau
16. Leilua
17. Aitken
18. Kerr
19. Lomax
20. Robson
21. Field

I think players 17 - 21 are all viable candidates for the final bench spot during the season depending on the opposition...

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
I think Mann has 100% earnt a starting spot over Aitken. Other than that, starting line up looks fine. I’d love to see more of Kerr, Robson, Lomax and Field getting a shot (standouts from the youngsters) and I’d like Herbert to get a run - apparently had a blinder on Friday night and considering Garrick tanked it, would be good to see if we actually have him as a depth option.
Interesting with Field just how much zip he added in his short cameo.
Yes it was late and Hull were spent but he looked like Benji cicra 2005 but not sure that will cut it week in week out in 1st grade today.
If he doesn't make 1st grade for whatever reason he could travel the world and cut a fine career playing rugby 7's or even in the new 10 player format.

BigBoss

Juniors
I'm really liking Mann at right centre, he's really fixed up the horrid defence we've had there for a while now, and he knows how to set up his winger which are both things Aitken should have learn't to do by now. This was a big problem for us out wide. I think Mann has finally earned a starting spot imo.

Nightingale gets the nod at right wing, then next year once he's retired Lomax slots straight in and stays in the squad for the next decade. If either Mcdonald or Flo get injured Lomax straight in.

I still can't decide on who replaces Thompson in the 2nd row. Both Sims and Leilua seem like impact players to me, who would both better serve the team coming off the bench and I'm still not sold on Host yet tbh.

Field didn't hurt his chances at all and would be handy around some tired forwards late in a game but can probably only cover a couple positions as utility, fullback, 5/8 ect. Aitken could cover centre and 2nd row, although his size may be an issue for the latter.

Next week I'd have the following.

1. Dufty
2. Nightingale
3. Mann
4. Lafai
5. McDonald
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizz
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14. Kerr
15. Ah Mau
16. Leilua
17. Field
18. Host
19. Lomax
20. Robson
21. Aitken

Dragonslayer

First Grade
From the game yesterday, it appears that our LHS edge 2nd row is the greatest concern. So, for the CS we need to include all candidates in basically a trial within a trial. Host and Leilua are probably in front of Sims on yesterdays performance although none really shone out.
I dont think Friz will be risked for a full game either maybe 40 mins. So there is also the impact bench forward position that can impact on both sides of the field.
I think what it did show yesterday is that we dont have a 4th prop that can maintain any go forward once our starting props come off. So, Sims, Sele (who is not really a prop more a lock), Lawrie, Kerr and probably Latimore need to be included to battle that last prop spot.
Finally, the last bench spot is going to be critical this year with Robson, Field and Lomax doing their chances no harm yesterday.
The biggest issue is what to do with Aitken now and moving forward. From yesterday he's obviously not fit enough.
My CS squad would be 25:
Dufty, McDonald, Nighty, Mann, Lafai, Widdop, Hunt, JDB, McInnes, Graham, Vaughan, Friz, Host, LAM, Sims, Leilua, Robson, Lomax, Field, Herbert, Sele, Lawrie, Latimore, Kerr, Nichols.
There will be a few who wont play full games so we need to include replacements for them.

possm

Coach
From the game yesterday, it appears that our LHS edge 2nd row is the greatest concern. So, for the CS we need to include all candidates in basically a trial within a trial. Host and Leilua are probably in front of Sims on yesterdays performance although none really shone out.
I dont think Friz will be risked for a full game either maybe 40 mins. So there is also the impact bench forward position that can impact on both sides of the field.
I think what it did show yesterday is that we dont have a 4th prop that can maintain any go forward once our starting props come off. So, Sims, Sele (who is not really a prop more a lock), Lawrie, Kerr and probably Latimore need to be included to battle that last prop spot.
Finally, the last bench spot is going to be critical this year with Robson, Field and Lomax doing their chances no harm yesterday.
The biggest issue is what to do with Aitken now and moving forward. From yesterday he's obviously not fit enough.
My CS squad would be 25:
Dufty, McDonald, Nighty, Mann, Lafai, Widdop, Hunt, JDB, McInnes, Graham, Vaughan, Friz, Host, LAM, Sims, Leilua, Robson, Lomax, Field, Herbert, Sele, Lawrie, Latimore, Kerr, Nichols.
There will be a few who wont play full games so we need to include replacements for them.
How did Herbert and the new second rower from the Tigers go in reserve grade?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
How did Herbert and the new second rower from the Tigers go in reserve grade?

I didnt see the game Possm but reports are that Herbert had a great game.
Nisbett (i think thats who you are referring to) is signed to reserve grade part time contract (as far as im aware) and is not in consideration to play anywhere near NRL.

epDragon62

First Grade
I t
Dufty
Mc Donald
Aitken
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
Hunt
Graham
Mc Innes
Vaughan
Frizz
Host
De Belin

Sims
Kerr
LAM
Leilua
Mann
Lomax
Robson
I think Aitken has to earn his spot from the Reggies and Lomax sounds like the one for game time. It also sounds like Leilua is showing the second row should be his.

Dragons22

Juniors
I'm really liking Mann at right centre, he's really fixed up the horrid defence we've had there for a while now, and he knows how to set up his winger which are both things Aitken should have learn't to do by now. This was a big problem for us out wide. I think Mann has finally earned a starting spot imo.

Nightingale gets the nod at right wing, then next year once he's retired Lomax slots straight in and stays in the squad for the next decade. If either Mcdonald or Flo get injured Lomax straight in.

I still can't decide on who replaces Thompson in the 2nd row. Both Sims and Leilua seem like impact players to me, who would both better serve the team coming off the bench and I'm still not sold on Host yet tbh.

Field didn't hurt his chances at all and would be handy around some tired forwards late in a game but can probably only cover a couple positions as utility, fullback, 5/8 ect. Aitken could cover centre and 2nd row, although his size may be an issue for the latter.

Next week I'd have the following.

1. Dufty
2. Nightingale
3. Mann
4. Lafai
5. McDonald
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizz
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14. Kerr
15. Ah Mau
16. Leilua
17. Field
18. Host
19. Lomax
20. Robson
21. Aitken
That is most definitely the best side that can be played. I agree with basically everything you have said.

kit66

Bench
I really don't get this 2 Hookers mentality, it's just wrong on so many levels and I've never seen it once benefit a team in any way. Dragon's coaches of the past persisted with that dubious strategy for years and it never helped once that I can recall. And now with less interchanges it makes even less sense.

If your hooker can't play 80 minutes and do his job then get a new one who can. You don't change your 1, 6 or 7 halfway through a game unless you're forced to. Hooker is only a forward in name. Your props, locks and 2nd row are the big dummies, run, tackle, don't think too much, they're interchangeable. The Hooker is different, he is part of your spine, directing and organizing in the most hands on job on the field. Everyone relies on him so much for all the basics and expects him to be in the right place at the right time and unless you have 2 Hookers who play exactly the same game you're going to mess with everyone elses expectations and change the whole structure and dynamics of your game if you swap them out.

Plus it takes a very skillful coach in my opinion to even mess with the prospect.
No two Hookers play the same game, most are completely different, speed, passing, running, kicking, positioning, all different. How can you expect the rest of the team, mid game, to suddenly adjust and Why anyway ? Because your 1st choice needs a rest ? You're losing and you have no faith in your 1st choice hooker but think your 2nd best hooker can suddenly save you ? If your 2nd choice Hooker is such a game breaker why the f**k is he on the bench ?
Makes no sense to me, it's a desperate and disruptive move with no real benefit. Like a bad move from a poor coach.

RufusRex

Post Whore
its about 75% of clubs that run 2 hookers isn't it? Maybe more ..
Surprised so many places have it wrong ...

If you have a bloke that can play 80minutes of hooker and still be running and making smart decisions at the end then you play one hooker ... There are not too many blokes like that about.

Some of the recent premiers show this too ...

Dragons in 2010 an obvious example, Storm in 2012 carried Hinchcliffe who could play 9/13, Roosters 2013 had Mortimer who covered 6/7/9, Cowboya 2015 had Granville and Kostjaysn.

A 9/13 type hooker is a great bench option ...

SBD82

Coach
Can’t work out how Leilua has so much support
Still had a long way to go to warrant anything but a bench spot at best
We don't agree on much OT. But I'm in total agreement with this.

For the raps that he gets, he looked passable at best. Still a way to go if he is going to early the plaudits he receives.

ALSGI

Bench
Listened to Mary interview on the 2GB show this arvo. He’s sounding very relaxed, confident and happy. Talked about finally having the roster he wants. Said he has high expectations.
Team’s in camp from Wednesday in Mudgee for 4 days.
When asked what the plan was with Hunt/Widdop for the CS he said he’d play them for longer minutes together. Why the hell would he broadcast this to all and sundry?? Why?
WTF?
At least he didn’t talk about the power game this time.

BennyV

Referee
I really don't get this 2 Hookers mentality, it's just wrong on so many levels and I've never seen it once benefit a team in any way. Dragon's coaches of the past persisted with that dubious strategy for years and it never helped once that I can recall. And now with less interchanges it makes even less sense.

If your hooker can't play 80 minutes and do his job then get a new one who can. You don't change your 1, 6 or 7 halfway through a game unless you're forced to. Hooker is only a forward in name. Your props, locks and 2nd row are the big dummies, run, tackle, don't think too much, they're interchangeable. The Hooker is different, he is part of your spine, directing and organizing in the most hands on job on the field. Everyone relies on him so much for all the basics and expects him to be in the right place at the right time and unless you have 2 Hookers who play exactly the same game you're going to mess with everyone elses expectations and change the whole structure and dynamics of your game if you swap them out.

Plus it takes a very skillful coach in my opinion to even mess with the prospect.
No two Hookers play the same game, most are completely different, speed, passing, running, kicking, positioning, all different. How can you expect the rest of the team, mid game, to suddenly adjust and Why anyway ? Because your 1st choice needs a rest ? You're losing and you have no faith in your 1st choice hooker but think your 2nd best hooker can suddenly save you ? If your 2nd choice Hooker is such a game breaker why the f**k is he on the bench ?
Makes no sense to me, it's a desperate and disruptive move with no real benefit. Like a bad move from a poor coach.
Wholeheartedly disagree. There’s about 3 hookers in the comp who are completely and totally effective over 80 minutes throughout the year. Looking through last years Top 8, 7 played most games with a hooker rotation and even Storm used the tactic throughout the year.

Hooker is the single most demanding position on the field. Defending in the middle, usually targeted by opposing forwards and expecting to continue to pass accurately, run dynamically and ball play creatively the whole time they are on the field. Have a player on the bench to tactically cover the position and provide a point of difference is hugely beneficial...

mickeylane

Bench
I’m pretty certain Lomax will be given a sniff at right centre during next weeks game either starting or coming on. The kid showed too much of doing the simple things right..plus the wraps on him from Gasnier, McGregor, and the commentators yesterday just tells you he’s on the cusp.. Mann is NOT a right centre.. crab running is his speciality he’s a left winger at best..

Simms IMO will be given one more go as a starting 2nd rower -

Host is honestly very average and offers no thrust , impact or defence ..

Wingers are sorted and Field looked electric - but Dufty has done enough to start next week.

20 Man Squad
Dufty
Nightingale
Mann/Lomax
Lafai
McDonald

Widdop
Hunt

Vaughan
Mciness
Graham
Frizell