What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield Side?

matPORTS

Juniors
Starting XIII

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Farrell
4. Beale
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Williams

8. Stockwell
9. Rein
10. Creagh
11. Frizell
12. Thompson
13. Merrin

BENCH/OTHERS:

Garvey
Stanley
Hunt
de Belin
Cooper
Ah Mau
Harrison
Matthews
Groat
Quinlan
Runciman
Witt
Drinkwater
Mata Uta’Utia
Bird
Green

Twenty10

Juniors
I had some optimism about this season. But looking at the 9s and how many talented and big blokes every other team has I think we will come up well short in the forwards. We really have zero X factor in the pack. Plus, I no longer believe Farrell is the answer at centre. He's fairly pedestrian and is better suited to the Wing. I Hoped he would play on the Dane gaigai mould, but no. He's just run of the mill.

The team you selected is pretty much on the money though

TheRev

First Grade
Wait till after the upcoming 9's game gang! Runciman playing too apparently, though im incredibly confused why Green played both games if Charlie was available? I assumed he was injured and back home with Beale.

FlameThrower

Bench
Green, very average in defence, chasing down big Storm prop over 40 metres. I' m now worried about our fitness levels, the 9' s has this up as a potential new issue...I'll hold off panic button just yet, but Charity Shield will be real test across all key ares, attack, defence, fitness and attitude....not to mention the League 101 basics of handling, errors, penalty count....

What's Brian Smith doing these days...?

bottle

Coach
Green ain't a centre at the best of times, let alone in an open filed game like this.
Disturbing choice.
I like him, he's strong. But has to be weaned into a back rower role. If he can't fit there, he will end up a journeyman.

mickeylane

Bench
Agree w below starting team except
Rein Out Garvey In
Frizzell Out Ah Mau in

Starting XIII

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Farrell
4. Beale
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Williams

8. Stockwell
9. Rein
10. Creagh
11. Frizell
12. Thompson
13. Merrin

BENCH/OTHERS:

Garvey
Stanley
Hunt
de Belin
Cooper
Ah Mau
Harrison
Matthews
Groat
Quinlan
Runciman
Witt
Drinkwater
Mata Uta?Utia
Bird
Green

GT0007

Juniors
Starting XIII

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Farrell
4. Beale
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Williams

8. Stockwell
9. Rein
10. Creagh
11. Frizell
12. Thompson
13. Merrin

BENCH/OTHERS:

Garvey
Stanley
Hunt
de Belin
Cooper
Ah Mau
Harrison
Matthews
Groat
Quinlan
Runciman
Witt
Drinkwater
Mata Uta?Utia
Bird
Green

The backline you picked really picks itself as a season starter and then form or injuries will dictate if Quinlan, Runciman and Stanley get an opportunity in that order though we really need to watch the charity shield for a better indication. Re: Farrell...he made a great run before being knocked unconscious today which to me showed his potential. In the forwards I'd like to see Creagh and Stockwell put on a bit of beef and they will go well, can't comment on Groat or Ailaomai so the Jury is out.

Bench
Ah Mah (Certainty)
De Belin
Quinlan/Stanley/Garvey/Witt
Hunt/Ailaomai/Groat

gonz

Juniors
I had some optimism about this season. But looking at the 9s and how many talented and big blokes every other team has I think we will come up well short in the forwards. We really have zero X factor in the pack. Plus, I no longer believe Farrell is the answer at centre. He's fairly pedestrian and is better suited to the Wing. I Hoped he would play on the Dane gaigai mould, but no. He's just run of the mill.

The team you selected is pretty much on the money though

Dousty and chinless knew we had no size yet did nothing bout it

love my saints

Juniors
Wow... writing the team off because of a 9's comp??? Every team admitted to not knowing how to go about this comp... some screwed up some got it right.. pot luck to those who did... but to write our team off because of a 9 a team comp... you lot are kidding yourselves!!!!

Highland Saint

Juniors
Is it unreasonable to assume that all the players names and positions are in a hat ready to be drawn on Saturday morning?

to_ddeath

Coach
Don't worry, the cobwebs have come off & the attack, execution etc is coming together. Building blocks are being put in place for us to become the benchmark.

T.

blacksafake

First Grade
I for one didn't see any of the nines,just some highlights on the nrl website but for those who did were there any positives? to come out of any of the games.Sure it was a disappointing result but i would much rather we had a successful year in the "proper" comp.There seems to be plenty of negative thoughts out there but shouldn't they be left until the first six weeks of the season before we start slashing wrists etc.?:(

Godz Illa

Coach
I've never been a wrist slasher, but there was very very little to be encouraged by during the Nines. It was depressing for Saints fans.

If I had to come up with something it would be:

that one of our only tries not scored from kicks (two in total - a depressing fact in itself) was created via smart dummy half work by Craig Garvey. Hopefully it was noticed by the coaches.

possm

Coach
I for one didn't see any of the nines,just some highlights on the nrl website but for those who did were there any positives? to come out of any of the games.Sure it was a disappointing result but i would much rather we had a successful year in the "proper" comp.There seems to be plenty of negative thoughts out there but shouldn't they be left until the first six weeks of the season before we start slashing wrists etc.?:(

Well, I thought Witt did better than I expected. In my view he did better than Williams.

Garvey showed some flashes of potential.

Duges is great however, he needs to understand he can't do it all alone.

Morris was great.

blacksafake

First Grade
I've never been a wrist slasher, but there was very very little to be encouraged by during the Nines. It was depressing for Saints fans.

If I had to come up with something it would be:

that one of our only tries not scored from kicks (two in total - a depressing fact in itself) was created via smart dummy half work by Craig Garvey. Hopefully it was noticed by the coaches.
Thanks Godz.
It sure looks like another long year!
The No 9 spot does look to be problem so lets hope it is noticed.