What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheap versus expensive brands: PLASMAS and LCDs

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
What are the pros and cons of buying a cheap screen compared to a more expensive, well recognised brand?

The obvious ones are that it is obviously better on your pocket, but the quality is usually a street or 2 behind.

Also, does it make a difference when repairs are needed i.e. getting replacement parts?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I've got a cheap LCD (68cm AWA brand from Big W, was $1500 new about 18 months ago and got it 2nd hand off a mate for $800 about 6 months ago) and it does the job fine, plenty of input options, 1280x768 res, picture is great, no ghosting, dead pixels or anything. Only annoying things about it are the sh*thouse remote (not really a problem as I usually use the remote from my hi-fi) and it's a bit slow switching between inputs.

[furrycat]

Coach
Brand means jack sh*t- you need to find out who makes the actual panel and ensure it is a decent manufacturer.

cainen

Juniors
The cheaper ones will generally have poorer build quality meaning they probably won't last as long as a more expensive one. But like furry says, half of them probably come out of the same factory in china.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
[furrycat] said:
Brand means jack sh*t- you need to find out who makes the actual panel and ensure it is a decent manufacturer.

Correct. In reality there aren't really that many different panels on the market anyway. From memory I think mine actually uses an LG panel (or one of the other Korean brands).