What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheaters never prosper

broncos2010

Juniors
I think melbourne played pretty well with the thin front row they had all year pretty much young guys and washed up players no one else wanted. Yesterday just like against manly they got owned in the go forward the warriors just mad yards to easy and melb struggled.

Still a very good season to melb with the players they had this year so Congratz to them.

Hmmm, one week before Grand Final and so much hate. I just don't get people's obsession with hating a sports team. Supporting one I understand, but hating one so much (like they murdered a member of your family or something) I just fail to grasp for some reason

It is not teams people hate, it is their knob like inbred supporters.

You know like the ones who never accept a loss and every penalty conceded is crucial and the refs have an agenda against them and that if, and coulda, and shoulda and woulda.....things would have been different.

Never beaten by a better team, that is what frustrates people and drives them to hatred.

mongoose

Coach
I think melbourne played pretty well with the thin front row they had all year pretty much young guys and washed up players no one else wanted. Yesterday just like against manly they got owned in the go forward the warriors just mad yards to easy and melb struggled.

Still a very good season to melb with the players they had this year so Congratz to them.

The Storm had the worst front row rotation in the NRL bar none this season. They did amazingly well considering.

Guys like Woolnough, Norrie, T. Thompson, Jaimen Lowe would be lucky to get a run at the Sharks.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Oh my mistake, you meant the minor premiers are bottom :roll:

images

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
A little amused at people suggesting the Storm weren't at their best. They were fine just outplayed by a much better team with a stronger line up across the park. The Bellamy nuffy brigade played to and beyond their potential all season, including last night. They lost last night but that's what you get when you have to abide by a salary cap. A team with a few good quality players and a lot of average players. It's a lot harder to make and win GF's every year when you don't have up to 17 origin and test players in your squad. Welcome to reality.

Great post. Spot on. There was no choking here, with their team under the cap they just weren't good enough.

broncos2010

Juniors
The Storm had the worst front row rotation in the NRL bar none this season. They did amazingly well considering.

Guys like Woolnough, Norrie, T. Thompson, Jaimen Lowe would be lucky to get a run at the Sharks.

spot on mate that is why I am wondering why they are getting so much hate.They should be congratulated for making it this far with the forwards they have.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors

Which is exactly why people are starting threads like "lol@cheats". Because they are now finally under the cap and couldn't win. If they had a couple of decent props and Inglis, they probably win that game.

HowHigh

Coach
spot on mate that is why I am wondering why they are getting so much hate.They should be congratulated for making it this far with the forwards they have.
I dunno about others but the hate I have for the Storm is because they cheated the cap, not the fans or any particular players, just the club itself. Takes more than 1 season of being under it to forgive and forget...

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
spot on mate that is why I am wondering why they are getting so much hate.

because they have been banging on about how they deserved to win the 07 and 09 comps because they "worked hard". This year proves if you work hard you still could lose, especially if you are under the cap.

These threads are are a sign of how much frustration Melbourne have created by being in denial of the fact they cheated ALL RUGBY LEAGUE FANS out of genuine competitions over the last 5 years.

imasharkie

Coach
great work Warriors.
sent the cheaters packin.
i'm not a warriors fan but I detest all things Manly and Storm.

taxidriver

Coach
Take a side so far over the cap that it's not funny and then let the cheats decide who they keep and who they cut out of the side

Pffft that's no punishment.

The whole illegally assembled side should have been thrown onto the open market with Melbourne being forced to sign any players who didn't sign elsewhere.

Slackboy72

Coach
because they have been banging on about how they deserved to win the 07 and 09 comps because they "worked hard". This year proves if you work hard you still could lose, especially if you are under the cap.

These threads are are a sign of how much frustration Melbourne have created by being in denial of the fact they cheated ALL RUGBY LEAGUE FANS out of genuine competitions over the last 5 years.

Pretty sure Ronnie Biggs worked hard on organising the great train robbery too.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Exactly. The penalties handed down to the Warriors were obviously indicative of the severity of the offense. Same with Storm last year, same with Dogs in 2002. Let's say a disgruntled ex-Dragons, Eagles or Broncos employee comes forward and says "I have proof that the club breached the cap by 200k thet year they won the premiership". I'd certainly expect the penalty to match the crime. If that means stripping premierships or massive fines then so be it.
The Storm were $3.1 million over the cap, and knowingly corrupting the books for over five seasons. It's absurd to compare this to a $200K breach that was declared or perhaps unavoidable.
LESStar58 said:
Leaving myself wide open here but I don't differentiate between a 200k breach and one million dollar breach. As soon as you break that 200k' ceiling then you are fair game if you get busted. There's no "chalk and cheese" when it comes to cheating. Once you are over 200k you are doing just that.
That contradicts your earlier belief that the penalty should match the crime.

But regardless of this, salary cap breaches are not as cut-and-dried as having a cut-off point of say, $200K. Technical breaches, second tier breaches etc doesn't mean clubs are systematically rorting the cap. For example, the Wests Tigers breach last year (about $200K over, long service breach) saw a fine being issued. Deemed to be punishment enough given the circumstances.

Chalk and cheese? I'm sorry but IIRC the "line in the sand" drawn by Gallop in 2002 after the Dogs cap drama was that if a team exceeded the cap by 200k there would be sanctions.
Plenty of fines have been issued to clubs for minor breaches. Plus since 2002 there have been numerous changes to the salary cap, namely increasing it.
I seem to remember Gallop himself reminding everybody of it last year. 200k was the no tolerance breach limit that was established after what happened with the Bulldogs.
Not doubting your memory, but again, it's not that cut-and-dried.

The salary cap allows for an extra $200,000 for long-term one club players. After the WT breach, there ere articles this year about the limitations of this concession. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of.

For reference: http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

Latest posts