What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Childish or Justified?

Charlie124

First Grade
Triple M commentator Dan Ginnane to refuse to call Robert Lui by name when calling Cowboys games

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...6653341613?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+bi_rss

TRIPLE M commentator Dan Ginnane will refuse to call the name of Cowboys halfback Robert Lui, who last year pleaded guilty to assaulting his girlfriend, for the remainder of the season.

Ginnane publicly vowed last year he would refer to Lui as a "wife basher" every time he touched the ball during his future calls of Cowboys matches.

He has slightly backed away from that pledge, but last night told The Daily Telegraph he will only refer to Lui as "the seven" or "the Cowboys halfback" during Sunday's call of North Queensland's clash with the Gold Coast.

"I don't think we should be celebrating Robert Lui," Ginnane said last night.

"I just fear that it will be 16-all with a couple of minutes to go, and I tend to get excited in those moments, and I just can't bring myself to get excited yelling his name at the top of my lungs.

"I understand the case isn't as cut and dried as we think, and there may be circumstances we don't understand, but the fact is he's a wife basher.

"I made a statement last year that I wasn't going to call his name. I made a promise and nothing's changed my mind."

Lui pleaded guilty to assaulting Taleah Backo, his girlfriend and the mother of his young son, after drunken Mad Monday celebrations while playing for the Wests Tigers. He was placed on a two-year good behaviour bond and fined $2000.

The Tigers sacked him and the NRL suspended him before the Cowboys extended him a lifeline.

Lui made his return to the NRL two weeks ago during the Women in League round, running out for the Cowboys in a pink jumper. Last week, the Cowboys re-signed him for another season.

Last year, Ginnane branded Lui as "human scum", telling Triple M listeners: "The young lady told the court Lui kicked her in the temple and headbutted her. He pushed her in the chest, then dragged her by her hair to a mattress where he kicked her a number of times.

"She said, 'He was trying to kick into the sides of me I was trying to cover myself, that's when he kicked me in the head'."

Ginnane has the backing of Triple M management, but an NRL spokesman said it would discuss the matter with the network.

Cowboys chief executive Peter Jourdain last night said: "It's a disappointing stance. He's done his time, he's done time in rehab and he is not being treated like the rest of society."

The move comes as Queensland and South Sydney star Ben Te'o faces accusations of assaulting Brisbane woman Katie Lewis at the home of Brisbane Broncos player Corey Norman.

Ive never stuck up for Robert Lui and i was completely against his signing with our club, and that wont change now. However does this come across as a little childish to anyone else?? A "professional" commentator bringing his own opinions on a player into his call, and not only that but playing it out in the media in the process.

Amadaca

Juniors
Do respect where he's coming from, however, you can't have your cake & eat it too. If he wants to accept his paycheque, he has an obligation to professional commentary.

Usain Bolt

Bench
lol imagine if every player was called by the crimes they'd committed. Would make for some hilarious commentary

Perth Red

Post Whore
If he takes this stance with every player he thinks is trash it could make for amusing commentary! I applaud his morals but he is being paid to do a job, either resign if it clashes with your principles or swallow hard and do your job.

T.T

Juniors
"The young lady told the court Lui kicked her in the temple and headbutted her. He pushed her in the chest, then dragged her by her hair to a mattress where he kicked her a number of times.

wow..never realised it was to that violent extent.. how is he not in jail?

Amadaca

Juniors
Reading it back, I'm a little surprised his station are supporting this. Its an incredibly dangerous precedent, for one, & they have to know it will put them offside with the NRL.

Son of Minto

Bench
Childish as shit. This is the same guy who was all chummy with Mike Tyson (a convicted rapist) on the radio a few weeks back. When someone called him out on that he claimed "Tyson claimed he was innocent the whole time". Dude is just picking and choosing who he calls out for their indiscretions and should stop being a knob and do his f**king job.

Amadaca

Juniors
Childish as shit. This is the same guy who was all chummy with Mike Tyson (a convicted rapist) on the radio a few weeks back. When someone called him out on that he claimed "Tyson claimed he was innocent the whole time". Dude is just picking and choosing who he calls out for their indiscretions and should stop being a knob and do his f**king job.

Didn't realise that.

F**k him. Tyson has a rap sheet miles upon miles worse than Lui. He never denied hitting Robin Givens either (I know, I know, but its still hypocritical of this announcer).

Shut up & do your job, dickface.

Last edited:

Paullyboy

Coach

If that's true, he's a ridiculous hypocrite.

Having said that, there is no way someone like Lui should be celebrated (and playing first grade is doing just that).

People go on about 'he's done his time' - piss off, you're just desperate for a premiership and haven't got any morals.

MSIH

Bench
It's unprofessional to the max.

The Mike Tyson story just makes him out to be a joke. Zero credibility.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Definitely justified, the bloke is an absolute bottom feeder and has no place on a stage like the NRL.
That being said, he'll have to wear the hypocrite tag if he was indeed chummy with Tyson.

TheDalek079

Bench
Morrow didn't call Jake Friend by name (Jakey and a few others were involved in an incident where Morrow's relative got assaulted and Jake got the blame - case goes to court, and Friend wasn't even present when the assault occurred).

Flapper

First Grade
I agree 100% with Ginnane's stance. I don't give a f**k about Mike Tyson, the only people trying to call him out on that are people trying to get a better deal for Lui ie a wife basher sympathiser.

GAZF

First Grade
Doesn't matter what he thinks of Lui. His job is to call names, just call the f**king names and don't use the position as your own moral platform.

Pig Champion

Juniors

All those nazis at Nuremburg protested their innocence as well. Maybe Dan will get chummy with them as well.

When you take the high moral ground, look out (see bourbon bec, collington eddie et al)

ek999

First Grade
I agree 100% with Ginnane's stance. I don't give a f**k about Mike Tyson, the only people trying to call him out on that are people trying to get a better deal for Lui ie a wife basher sympathiser.

Disagree completely with his stance. I don't like Lui and I'm not going to stick up for him and I think he belongs in a jail cell and not in the community. But Ginnane's job is to call the match for his listeners. If he is not able to do that as he should then he should let someone else call any matches that Lui is involved in.

Latest posts