What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chip n Chase Try

The_Savage_1

Juniors
How come the dude who does a chip n chase and scores doesn't get a try assist, only the try (ala Cronk tonight)? Should get both IMO.

ceagle

Bench
Because it wasn't even an intended kick for himself, it ricochet off a player's heel.

ram raid

Bench
I'm not sure. It doesn't quite add up to me. You can't score something and assist it at the same time. It's like saying I am the manager and assistant manager at my work.

maple_69

Bench
I think assist is not quite the right measure. We should be measuring who created the opportunity that led to the try not the guy that through the last pass. Individual tries should also get more credit in the stats.

pHyR3

Juniors
I think assist is not quite the right measure. We should be measuring who created the opportunity that led to the try not the guy that through the last pass. Individual tries should also get more credit in the stats.

they often do through tackle breaks, line breaks and metres run.

but chip and chases definitely dont get enough like cronk tonight

The_Savage_1

Juniors
I'm not sure. It doesn't quite add up to me. You can't score something and assist it at the same time. It's like saying I am the manager and assistant manager at my work.

what's the difference between (for example) cronk chipping and chasing but slater regathers to regathering himself? the act of assisting was identical.

it's a bit like in cricket not giving the bowler a catch when he gets a caught & bowled

not sure what they do in soccer when the player who earns the penalty also kicks the penalty?

The_Savage_1

Juniors

I think that's why they created line break assists. I know it's not perfect but it's objective and I think what you're describing is subjective.

maple_69

Bench
Good points. It's not a perfect system but it would be impossible to tell the whole story through stats.

ram raid

Bench
Maybe there should be a stat for "non-assisted" tries--- basically where you do it all yourself.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
jarrod saffy got a try assist from a falcon one game...

bloody funny falcon too.. Knocked him right over..

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Happens every week, and not just from kicks.

Great play on the inside can create a two on one out wide but if the centre is left with a simple catch and pass he's the one credited with the try assist for the last pass. Stats are very misleading in this regard.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
if someone say passed the ball to Greg Inglis in their own in-goal and then he runs around 200 players and scores a length of the field try, does that guy get an assist?

I have no problems with the scenario where a centre passes to his winger for a try because he still has to make that decision, draw his man, not throw it over the sideline etc etc.

Big LIMA

Juniors
Throwing the last pass to a scorer doesn't always earn a player a try assist though. At least, not with most stat keepers.