What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Chris is a big part of our family': Rabbitohs make emotional pitch

Glenn Jackson

April 30, 2011

JUST hours after Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson met Chris Sandow's family in a late effort to hold on to him, the halfback showed why the club desperately wants his services. ''He's part of our family,'' Richardson said.
Despite a big-money offer from Parramatta, Richardson said the Rabbitohs were a ''good chance'' of retaining Sandow, who scored two tries and kicked a late field-goal in the 31-12 victory over Cronulla last night.
''I spent time with his family today,'' Richardson said after the match. ''We're hopeful he'll say. We're trying to build a family here. Chris is a big part of that family.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''We brought Chris into the club when Gold Coast threw him out. The bottom line is he had problems and we worked with him, he's been really great for the club. We feel he's part of the club and part of the family. It'd be like losing a family member if he leaves, but that happens in football and that's a decision he's got to make for his future. I'll be disappointed if he leaves. But you've got to deal with the reality of life. I think we're a good chance of re-signing him, but you never know, we'll have to wait and see.''
Richardson said he was reluctant to pressure Sandow into making a decision. ''We're down to the wire,'' Richardson said. ''When he's going to give that answer, I'm not sure, but I know this, I don't want to pressure him into giving one.
''I want him to make the right decision when it comes along. I'm hearing all the rumours, he's signed with Parra one minute and signed with us the next. I'll worry about that when 'Chrissy' comes to me and says, 'This is what I'm doing 'Richo'.''
What he did last night was play wonderfully. His two tries were both pieces of individual brilliance, but still different in their execution.
''He was terrific,'' coach John Lang said. ''Hopefully he keeps going. I've always said that I think Chrissy's an elite rugby league talent.''
Skipper Roy Asotasi said his teammates wanted Sandow to stay, but ''that's up to Chrissy''.
Sandow won the man-of-the-match award last night, but Lang was quick to praise some lesser names in the side who provided the platform for the 22-year-old No.7 to display his brilliance, having previously dragged the Rabbitohs back into the contest from 12-0 down.
''I thought we were going very ordinary in the first 20 minutes, but I thought Eddy Pettybourne, Shannon McPherson and Jason Clark were absolutely magnificent off the bench,'' Lang said. ''I said to the boys after the game, 'the South Sydney spirit is alive in those boys'. Souths juniors, put in every week, training, games. I thought they were fantastic. Chrissy won the man of the match but I would have given it to 'Clarkey'.
''Chrissy wouldn't have been able to do what he did if Clarkey didn't do what he did. They had the energy. When you've got people like that alongside you, that energy rubs off, and it gives confidence. They were charging forward and they were ripping in in defence.''
Asotasi, meanwhile, suffered a wrist sprain, which may harm his Test aspirations. He had been under strong consideration for a recall to the Kiwis' squad to face Australia on the Gold Coast next Friday night.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tohs-make-emotional-pitch-20110430-1e1dw.html

Last edited by a moderator: