What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Thorman update

Parraren

Bench
from http://www1.superleague.co.uk

Widnes Vikings 0
London Broncos 40

(Tries - Caine 3, Moran, Peden, Thorman. Goals - Thorman 8 from 8 )

London Broncos put themselves into the driving seat for a Tetley's Rugby Super League Play-Off spot with a win at Widnes Vikings on Saturday evening.

The Broncos now sit a point above Hull and Warrington in fifth place going into the final weekend's games, and know that a win against Huddersfield next Sunday will seal their first ever place in the Play-Offs.

They emerged from a lacklustre first period to run away with the game in second half, with Australian winger Joel Caine grabbing three tries and Chris Thorman helping himself to 20 points.

Widnes winger Chris Giles - on his return to the first team - was twice denied by video referee Gerry Kershaw in the opening quarter after kicks from young half back Stephen Myler were fumbled by Caine.

Firstly, Myler just managed to kick dead, before Caine himself recovered to ground the ball dead in goal before the Vikings youngster pounced.

London's first chance came through Dennis Moran, who stepped past Paul Devlin and raced clear from inside his own half, only to lose his footing and then the ball.

Tony Martin was pulled back by the video referee on 20 minutes for an earlier knock on, while Deon Bird was unable to collect the ball when he ran onto a Myler grubber.

London took a 35th minute lead through a Chris Thorman penalty, after Jason Demetriou had tackled Tony Martin without the ball.

They extended the lead to 8-0 seven minutes after the restart, Thorman breaking through and managing to offload to Tony Martin, who allowed Rob Purdham to put Joel Caine over, Thorman goaling.

The Parramatta-bound half back almost got onto the end of a Moran grubber five minutes later, but agonisingly saw the ball roll dead.

He added a penalty to open up a 10-0 cushion before converting a second try for Caine, the former Wests winger supporting Bill Peden's break to race under the posts.

Widnes - struggling without the influence of injured Jules O'Neill and Castleford-bound Ryan Sheridan at half back - saw the game further slip away after the hour when Peden freed Thorman and Moran applied the finishing touch.

It was his 23rd try of the season, and the goal put them 22-0 ahead, and a Caine completed his hat trick on 68 minutes after taking Moran's grubber at the corner.

The ever-dangerous Peden raced in from 30 metres in the 72nd minute before Thorman followed up his own grubber to seal the win, adding his eighth goal from as many attempts.

"I didn't enjoy the first half, it was a poor game of Rugby League," said Broncos coach Tony Rea.

"We were frustrating and complicating ourselves in the first half but we kept ourselves controlled better in the second.

"Jimmy Dymock started read and dominate the game and he has such a good computer game between his ears."

Widnes coach Neil Kelly was a disconsolate figure afterwards, saying: "I am ashamed of the way we played and I probably feel lowes than at any other point in my coaching career.

"I want some answers as to how 2-0 becomes 40-0. I don't think it has anything to do with technique or handling, it's all behind the rib cage.

"I think we lack a leader and at times in the second half it was more evident than ever. I feel sorry for some of the younger players."

Parraren

Bench
parrot said:
superleague must really suck if caine can score 3 tries

Yeah the overall standard is probably equivalent to our Premier League competition so we shouldn't expect Thorman to come over and dominate in first grade. I think he will start off in Premier League and will be eased into first grade if his form warrants it. Dykes & Witt will be the starting halves next year no doubt about it. Hopefully we can ease him into a winning side rather than rush him into a losing side hoping for miracles from him.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I diasagree!!

The top 6 sides in the Super League at present eg Bradford, Leeds, Wigan, St Helens, Hull & London would all be very competitive in the NRL!!....

Chris thorman seems looks the goods......have to remember that he's the bloke that pushed Moran to full back....and we all know Moran had good talent!!

He seems to be a better kicker then Witt also....every week he's scored a stack of goals!!

Also seems to be very innovative.

PJ Marshal

Coach
I think the NRL is years ahead of the ESL, the ESL teams are competitive on their day but you need look no further than the Roosters thrashing of St Helens earlier this year to show how tough the ESL clubs would do it in the NRL.

Suitman

Post Whore
Mr Parra Eels said:
I think the NRL is years ahead of the ESL, the ESL teams are competitive on their day but you need look no further than the Roosters thrashing of St Helens earlier this year to show how tough the ESL clubs would do it in the NRL.

Actually, go back and check out how many WC Championships Aussie clubs have won. Not many.

In saying that, not even the English think that the ESL is close to the NRL.
Just read some of their chat sites.
I think Thorman will do alright. Why? Because he really wants to.

Suity

Misty Bee

First Grade
Suitman said:
Mr Parra Eels said:

Actually, go back and check out how many WC Championships Aussie clubs have won. Not many.

Suity

Look, don't expect Thorman to be the next Brett Kenny. Tehre is a step up to NRL, but it's mainly in fitness and speed. if Thorman has the talent (as many of my pommy mates tell me) then he will have a shot of making it here. But give him time. And don't give him the Dykes treatment. Give him the Brian Smith treatment - ie plenty of leeway for mistakes.

Suitman

Post Whore
Misty Bee said:
Suitman said:
Mr Parra Eels said:

Suity

Look, don't expect Thorman to be the next Brett Kenny. Tehre is a step up to NRL, but it's mainly in fitness and speed. if Thorman has the talent (as many of my pommy mates tell me) then he will have a shot of making it here. But give him time. And don't give him the Dykes treatment. Give him the Brian Smith treatment - ie plenty of leeway for mistakes.

lol. :lol:

I don't expect him to be an instant superstar.

I just know he wants to play here so badly, turned down a lot of money to sign with us, and is a Geordie.

They are good enough reasons for me. 8) :D

Suity

bartman

Immortal
Misty Bee said:
And don't give him the Dykes treatment. Give him the Brian Smith treatment - ie plenty of leeway for mistakes.

But not the treatment Brian Smith gave to Dykes for most of this year - too much leeway for too many mistakes...

Alan Shore

First Grade
Ron Jeremy said:
I diasagree!!

The top 6 sides in the Super League at present eg Bradford, Leeds, Wigan, St Helens, Hull & London would all be very competitive in the NRL!!....

Chris thorman seems looks the goods......have to remember that he's the bloke that pushed Moran to full back....and we all know Moran had good talent!!

He seems to be a better kicker then Witt also....every week he's scored a stack of goals!!

Also seems to be very innovative.

Exactly! How you can say the ESL is PL standard is a joke. They can beat any NRL team anyday.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Did anyone else watch the game? Thorman had a blinder but then so did Joel Caine(except in the 1st half).

Parraren

Bench
El Duque said:
Did anyone else watch the game? Thorman had a blinder but then so did Joel Caine(except in the 1st half).

I didn't catch the game but i'll be watching another replay today at 4.30pm on fox sports one...

Saturday 4.30pm
English Super League - Widnes v London

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Parraren said:
El Duque said:

I didn't catch the game but i'll be watching another replay today at 4.30pm on fox sports one...

Saturday 4.30pm
English Super League - Widnes v London

If that's the case i'll be watching it aswell....and going over his performance with a fine tooth comb ;-)

Redback71

First Grade
"Jimmy Dymock started read and dominate the game and he has such a good computer game between his ears."

man i wish we can see him back in the blue and gold again even if its for 1 season.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Did anyone hear Steve Roach bag Thorman on sat night when the caller asked for his opinions???.....like Roach is has a good eye for something...he based his judgement from one viewing from him & then when Andrew Moore said he scored "28 points the previous game"....his attitude was more of the likes of ....Super league is this...Super League is that??.....i don't even reckon he actually saw him play!!

Every time Roach say's a try....you no it's no try...every time there's a no try....you no it's a try!!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Steve who.....didn't know he was still around.....

I saw the London Broncos game...Chris Thorman was a stand out player, but it was aterrible game to watch, expecially in the first half.

Our Premier League team would have bee 40 nil up at half time, playing either one of this lot.

He obviously is a talent. No doubt that Dykes will start at 5/8 at the start of th season, and Thorman will be eased into the team and NRL.

He is still young and may evolve into a good NRL player.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Tamazoid said:
Exactly! How you can say the ESL is PL standard is a joke. They can beat any NRL team anyday.

Put them in a full NRL season and they will run dead last.

You only have to look at Caine scoring three tries to see how sh!t the quality of the competition is over there.

Latest posts