What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/408024c02b4b22aac7b8af8b75b2d1bb

‘Like a car accident’: Lawrence’s incredible recovery from horror facial injuries

ea015273bc933c8485f889a5267d782b

Chris Lawrence had facial injuries consistent with a car accident.Source: FOX SPORTS
Wests Tigers veteran Chris Lawrence has been to hell and back.

After his face was shattered during a freak training accident in New Zealand earlier this year, his injuries were described by surgeons as consistent with a car accident.

Nursing broken cheekbones, nose, jaw and teeth, he considered this would be the end of his 227-game NRL career.

But he didn’t give up on himself.

And miraculously, he is only weeks away from returning to the field, highlighting his intense commitment to the club and his undeniable toughness.

Lawrence's amazing recovery

“Yeah, probably straight away,” he said when asked if he thought it would end him.

“Once it happened, over the next few days after the injury it started to unravel how serious it was. Initially I knew it was pretty bad but I didn’t know to what extent.

“Once I saw the surgeons they told me how many bones I’d fractured in my face it started to become apparent.

“They hadn’t seen anything like it before in rugby league.

“It was more like a car accident — that sort of put the recovery in limbo because I didn’t know how long I was going to be out because there wasn’t any precedent to go by.”

He had to stay in New Zealand for an extra four days before he was cleared to fly home to Australia, for fear any additional swelling could affect his eye sight.

66674a2fa45492b58498df5867f3dfb3

Chris Lawrence had injuries consistent with a car accident.Source: FOX SPORTS
After surgery to put plates in his face, he said there was around six or seven weeks where he couldn’t do any training. He was house bound, and couldn’t get his heart rate up.

The 30-year-old father of one had nothing to do except sit at home and wait for his face to heal.

Naturally, his weight dropped — and so did his fitness.

But after getting the all-clear from the surgeons, he set his intent to return to the field.

Over the past six weeks he’s being going through a pre-season of his own, building up his weight again and regaining the fitness that frustratingly slipped away.

Slowly but surely, he’s fighting his way back to the field.

And he’s not scared of copping a knock to the head — he says his face is stronger than it was before.

“I’d always said that if I was advised by surgeons or doctors that I shouldn’t take the field, that it would cause further injury or that I would be at risk, that would make the decision easier,” he said.

“But I was reassured from the get go that once I got surgery that there’d be no effects going forward. For me that gave me the all-clear that I could get back on the field.”

Lawrence is eyeing off a return to the field after the Round 12 bye.

Tiger05

First Grade
He sounds like he is coming back and he wants to come back. One of our best ever players.

super_coach

First Grade
Great player and when fit will walk into the side, but backrow has not let us down this year. Both games we lost that were in the bag were down to bad defensive decisions by our centres..not to mention poor goal kicking in the first one. If we had won both of those games the media would be talking top four andwho knows

Tiger Ted

Bench
I don’t think we’ll realise how much we missed him until he’s back playing for us
Luv us to make 8 & rowdy handed the captaincy in the finals due to the mannequin Mbye getting injured or fkd off to cbury cup where the fairy belongs.

Tiger05

First Grade
Luv us to make 8 & rowdy handed the captaincy in the finals due to the mannequin Mbye getting injured or fkd off to cbury cup where the fairy belongs.

That is pretty slack to Mbye. I reckon he tries. I think we need to give him some more time. If not it could be a long term disaster.

Tiger Ted

Bench
That is pretty slack to Mbye. I reckon he tries. I think we need to give him some more time. If not it could be a long term disaster.
I don’t rate him.Hes bog average & the most undeserving captain.Albeit Madge must c something in him so in time he may prove me wrong although I’d b surprised.

stryker

First Grade
I don’t think we’ll realise how much we missed him until he’s back playing for us
Lol you do my head in sometimes....you crticise guys who actually try their guts out and break their backs for the club yet give passes to those who do the bare minimum. Mybe rarely has a go. His game borders on incompetance.

magpie guy

Juniors
Great player and when fit will walk into the side, but backrow has not let us down this year. Both games we lost that were in the bag were down to bad defensive decisions by our centres..not to mention poor goal kicking in the first one. If we had won both of those games the media would be talking top four andwho knows

With a weight drop and a focus on fitness coming back is centre an option for him again?
Might have a bit more of that speed back in the legs carrying a bit less weight and his defense was always great.

Shredder

Juniors
Didnt he have a hip issue a few years ago that caused his move into the forwards?

He was a fast kid.

Tiger05

First Grade
Lol you do my head in sometimes....you crticise guys who actually try their guts out and break their backs for the club yet give passes to those who do the bare minimum. Mybe rarely has a go. His game borders on incompetance.

I honestly reckon he is having a go. I definitely agree that he needs to improve. My opinion is that he is really trying plus he has a lot of ability as an athlete. I'm not sure if he has the ability to be a top line NRL player though and he definitely isn't playing like one at the moment.

Lawrence is a legend. We miss him although McQueen has done well the last couple of games.

Shredder

Juniors
I think what shits me with Mbye is how he is playing this year compared to last year.

He came into the team mid year and really ripped at it.

I suspect he is under coaches orders maybe? The dogs didnt want him because he was too off the cuff, maybe hes been told to rein it in?

He obviously has talent, he just hasnt shown it this year.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I honestly reckon he is having a go. I definitely agree that he needs to improve. My opinion is that he is really trying plus he has a lot of ability as an athlete. I'm not sure if he has the ability to be a top line NRL player though and he definitely isn't playing like one at the moment.

Lawrence is a legend. We miss him although McQueen has done well the last couple of games.
I certainly am not seeing any athletic ability in Mbye.He plays with no intensity & he isn’t a smart player & has very limited skills.I have my heart in my mouth whenever the opposition kicks to him.Had the gump passed ball last wk with 2 unmarked men outside of him we would’ve beaten the storm.Its the least I’d expect from a captain to have the presence of mind to take the correct & basic option when 2 valuable premiership pts r on the line.Also when he chases our kicks y the fk doesn’t he swiftly return to the last line of defence.Either he’s a bigger dope than I think he is or he’s under instructions.

The unknown

Juniors
If mbye can just do the simple things right like catch, chime in every now and then, put his body on the line etc I'll be happy. Obviously there is more to be expected of a 900k player but I've kinda accepted by now he is just your average fullback

He must have played Mr nice guy his whole career because I am certainly not seeing any talents that justify his price tag, even my dogs mates who watched him his whole career say this is about as good as he gets

Perth Tiger

Bench
Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong but isn't this only his second year of playing fullback in the NRL?

Perhaps he is having a form of position specific second year syndrome, where he has good last year because of his natural skills and teams weren't prepared for him but now there is enough film to study how he plays at fullback teams have figured him out a bit. So it is up to Mbye and the coaching staff to develop his game further to overcome this?

Fordy20

Juniors
I just hate it when we try to manufacture fullbacks. It took ages for Moltzen to learn positioning, how to catch a bomb and to run the ball back hard on kick returns. Mid way through 2009 Sheens was forced to put Moltzen back in the halves where he belonged and put a real fullback in the #1 jersey. As if by magic we went on an unbeaten run and looked finals bound until Shannon Gallant broke his leg in the game against the Roosters in Round 22. That's when our 2009 season ended, not in Round 24 when TNT did his ankle, but the round before as soon as Moltzen was named at #1 for Round 23.

Now we're seeing the same thing all over again. Catching bombs, chips and cleaning up grubbers are a fullback's bread and butter, but I'm still nervous when ever the opposition kicks because Mbye just hasn't been playing fullback long enough to be solid with these, the most important aspects of fullback play. In addition to that, I haven't seen many games where he was been running support and sniffing around the edges of the ruck like a good fullback should. For mine, he's on spine dollars, but he doesn't have the skills required yet. At least he runs his own kick returns.

Tiger05

First Grade
I trust Madge to make the right decision. If Mbye doesn't cut it at FB Madge will move him somewhere else

It's probably the first time we have had a coach who will pick purely on form

I haven't seen this in a long long time. Madge seems to pick the best available team every week and he doesn't care about the amount of dollars they are on or reputations. It's great.