What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christchurch could bid for NRL franchise

DIEHARD

----
A team encompassing both the gold coast and brisbane isnt a good idea. Gold Coast deserves all their games. We'd miss out on Brisbane getting the fully fledged club they so richly deserve and we'd miss the opportunity for a new Brisie club to strike up a rivalry with the gold coast. QLD deserves 4 clubs, NSW has 10 already. 2 isnt fair.

GOLD COAST FOR THE 16TH FRANCHISE!

ali

Bench
My only other worry I forgot to mention is Carrara. When will it be ready for NRL footy? From seeing the place on TV ,it loos like an absolute dump. Is it going to be rectangular?

Aries, as much as I like the Central coast, there are proportionally too many teams in and around Sydney already. If we are ever going to be the number one football code in this part of the world, we sure wont get there my making the Central Coast our 16th side and then shutting up shop.

How about promotion and relegation? With all there areas desperate to get into the NRL, maybe there would be enough takers to start a National second division in a few years time. Throw in a couple more Kiwi cities, Newtown, Norths, Central Coast, Redcliff, Cairns, Port Moresby. There a lot of areas that would like to get into or back into the NRL that are fairly sizeable Rugby League cities.

If Air fares become cheaper, you never know it may work.

ali

Bench
The NZRL are starting to sound really keen.

Billionaire Behind 2nd NRL Franchise
Thu Oct 02, 11:08am (NZ)
Written by: NZRL
New Zealand Rugby League director Andrew Chalmers today acknowledged that a project to create a second entry into the Australian NRL competition, or the relocation of an existing Franchise to New Zealand, was gathering further momentum. “Support for the move has been overwhelming and has come from every quarter of New Zealand” Chalmers said.

NZRL Executive Chairman Selwyn Pearson originally stated the billionaire was Belgian but Chalmers has since confirmed that although he is Belgium based, he is in fact English by birth. The prospective backer and his associates have asked that their identity remain strictly confidential at this stage.

Further discussions are scheduled over the coming weeks, with the NRL, and the English backer. Chalmers expects negotiations will commence with the Westpac Trust Stadium in the next month. Preliminary discussions are also underway with potential major sponsors.

“The NZRL has identified the need and potential viability for a southern-based team as part of its strategic planning process. Having said that, it isn't the intention of the NZRL to own an NRL Franchise, just continue the drive to push the need for a second one. One could also never rule out the possibility of Eric Watson owning two Franchises. The NRL have advised that New Zealand is seen as a strategic development area for their competition. It is vital to the ongoing development and growth of our exciting sport that we lay plans now to underline and support the success of the NZ Warriors with a second team,” stated Chalmers today.

Chalmers also went on to say he was excited by the project assigned to him by
the NZRL Board.

forgotten_hero

Juniors
Medium-Long term I do believe the NRL can survive with more than 16 teams providing they are all managed properly. If there isn't moves to create a team in the next two seasons i would be disapointed because it is in the interests of the sport to grow. Eventually I would like to see up to 3 clubs in NZ as well as clubs in all other areas including Adelaide and Perth teams one of which could occasionally play games in NT which should also have a darwin/nt team in the qrl to grow the comp up there