What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clark called in while Clarke stays out

Balmain_Boy

Clark called in while Clarke stays out

Cricinfo staff

December 9, 2005

spacer.gif

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/inline/content/image/226536.jpg?alt=1

Stuart Clark has been added to Australia's 12-man squad for the first Test against South Africa starting next Friday, but there was no place for the in-form Michael Clarke. Clarke scored a double-century for New South Wales and 82 not out in Wednesday's ODI against New Zealand in response to his Test sacking last month, but the allrounder Andrew Symonds, who struck a brutal 156 at Wellington, was given another chance to prove he is capable of mixing both roles.

Trevor Hohns, the chairman of selectors, said the trade of Clark for the legspinner Stuart MacGill was a "conditions selection" with the Perth surface suited to the speed men. "We felt we needed to include another fast bowler and Stuart has been a steady performer for a long time," Hohns said. "We have seen that through his performances in the one-day matches in New Zealand."

Clark's debut will depend on the make-up of the side, but the fast-bowling stocks are dominated by New South Welshmen with McGrath, Lee and Bracken battling for spots alongside Shane Warne. Brett Lee is not expected to have any further trouble from a breathing problem after he had tissue removed from his left nasal passage in Sydney this morning. Lee left the one-day tour of New Zealand on Thursday but should be fully fit for the first match of the three-Test series.

Australia squad Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Ricky Ponting (capt), Brad Hodge, Michael Hussey, Andrew Symonds, Adam Gilchrist (wk), Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Stuart Clark, Nathan Bracken, Glenn McGrath.

Congratulations to Stuey Clark! I hope we play a 5 bowlers so we can have the 4 pronged blues pace attack.

BUT, why is Symmonds still in the bloody squad? None of this sh*t about being an all round prospect. He is NOT an all round prospect. He can roll his arm over and that's about it. His batting is decent. Michael Clarke (for example) on the other hand, has youth on his side, can bat very well in form and can roll his arm over as well. The continued selection of Symmonds is just baffling. If they were sticking with an all rounder who was not performing, but had potential (IE: Watson) that'd be fine. But to continue selecting Symmonds under the guise of an all rounder is ridiculous. The only thing he might add to the team is batting, and let's be honest, there are plenty of bats in Australia more deserving of selection.

Rant over.

I really would like a frank explanation of why Symmonds is in the team though. I admit I'm not a big fan of Symmonds. But ignoring that, I really don't understand why he is being selected. The gulf in battnig talent between him and other players (like Clarke) is marked. Surely the little bit of bowling Symmonds is capable of doesn't justify his selection over bloke like this. Someone, please explain?

I Think that after his last knock he deserves 1 more chance at test level purely as a batsmen. If he fails then his time is over

lockyno1

Post Whore
Stuart Clark was a bit of a surprise but Macgill was never going to get a game in perth. So fair call. Symonds was always going to be in the squad after his magnificent innings on wednesday night. Plus ponting wants him there. End of story. Michael Clarke needs 12 months to score heavily in FC cricket so he will be ready for test cricket. Once he eliminates his rash shot making, he will take Hodge's spot in the long run (but not at no4, at no6). Good selections.

JJ

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
Stuart Clark was a bit of a surprise but Macgill was never going to get a game in perth. So fair call. Symonds was always going to be in the squad after his magnificent innings on wednesday night. Plus ponting wants him there. End of story. Michael Clarke needs 12 months to score heavily in FC cricket so he will be ready for test cricket. Once he eliminates his rash shot making, he will take Hodge's spot in the long run (but not at no4, at no6). Good selections.

when does Symonds have to eliminate his rash shot making?

We've been trying to identify the greatest Qld bowler ever locky - Billy the Kid is the best we've come up with, anyone better??

Balmain_Boy

That really doesn't explain why he deserves a spot over a guy LIKE Clarke. I really just don't get it. Do you really think Symmonds will get away with the shots he played in the ODI against bowlers like Pollock, Ntini and Nel? I doubt it, especialy at test level?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Balmain_Boy said:
That really doesn't explain why he deserves a spot over a guy LIKE Clarke. I really just don't get it. Do you really think Symmonds will get away with the shots he played in the ODI against bowlers like Pollock, Ntini and Nel? I doubt it, especialy at test level?

I have said this time and time again...we are preparing for life after mcgrath and warne. That means a 5th bowler/batsman. Honestly it will take time and watson is probally the answer but Clarke (I'd like Cosgrove more) will have to score mountains of runs in the next 12 months to pressure Hodge. It will take time. The selectors are not going to bring Clarke back becuase the MAY have a very hard decision if he gets runs becuase they want to try Watson full-time at test level. Face it the all-rounder will stay!

lockyno1

Post Whore
JJ said:
when does Symonds have to eliminate his rash shot making?

We've been trying to identify the greatest Qld bowler ever locky - Billy the Kid is the best we've come up with, anyone better??

Symonds has to learn to play like he does in ODI cricket.

As for the bowlers, Kasprowitz, McDermott, Bichel, and Haurie of course. There are others but those are the ones off the top of my head.

lockyno1

Post Whore
wittyfan said:
That 156 has saved Symonds' spot!

Clarkey will be back very soon.

Give him 12 months. One double hundred does not make up for his 12 months of tripe! I'm prepared to give the all-rounders time to develop!

Balmain_Boy

lockyno1 said:
I have said this time and time again...we are preparing for life after mcgrath and warne. That means a 5th bowler/batsman. Honestly it will take time and watson is probally the answer but Clarke (I'd like Cosgrove more) will have to score mountains of runs in the next 12 months to pressure Hodge. It will take time. The selectors are not going to bring Clarke back becuase the MAY have a very hard decision if he gets runs becuase they want to try Watson full-time at test level. Face it the all-rounder will stay!

What I'M trying to say is, it's a moot point in this case. Symmonds will never be a wicket taking alternative. He's never going to be the 5th bowler Australia seems to currently crave. So why bother with him? He's not going to be around in this capacity in 2 years (Watson might). Only as a batsmen can his position be justified. And frankly, there are a LOT of better batsmen around.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I've made no secret about the fact that I like Clarkey, with the way he plays. Sure, Symonds got a very impressive 156 the other day, but I doubt he will get another 150 in the near future of his test career. I see Symonds as a fantastic one-day player, but a terrible test player. Clarke, although he hit a bit of a form slump, I dare say he's on the way out of it. 200 for the Blues, 40 for Australia in the first one dayer, out caught on the boundary looking for quick runs. Before that he looked good. 82 not out the other night, tells me that he is definitely back in form. He should be in the test squad for Perth, but alas he isnt. If we need to pursue with the all-rounder aspect, they NEED TO TAKE WICKETS. Symonds will not do that, which means we need another batsman who will score runs.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Symonds is there because punter want to have his baby

He said the other day, we need to give him time to settle in and we need to be patient

Its no secret punter got him into our world cup team, when the freak was injured, and that was Symo's luckiest day,

So imo, Clarke will be the drink waiter, unless he pushes Bracken out, which I don't have a problem with.

I would rather have an inform Dizzy, than either of these two

lockyno1

Post Whore
Balmain_Boy said:
What I'M trying to say is, it's a moot point in this case. Symmonds will never be a wicket taking alternative. He's never going to be the 5th bowler Australia seems to currently crave. So why bother with him? He's not going to be around in this capacity in 2 years (Watson might). Only as a batsmen can his position be justified. And frankly, there are a LOT of better batsmen around.

I never said Symonds was a great all-rounder at test level. Watson is probally the answer. Watson will be the 5th bowler after the Sydney Test anyway. They will continue with Symonds to allow Watson to slot straight in. Sorry to put it bluntly but our middle order looks a lot more stable without Clarke and Katich in there, so if either of them want to come back it should be through weight of runs. 3 scores from Clarke is not enough. He has to do that for at least 12 months! Frankly the next batsman in line should be Cosgrove!

Balmain_Boy

WTF. Why is 3 scores not enough for Clarke when Symmonds never got 3 scores and is continuing to fail at test level. Worst thing is, just one score in the next 3 tests will be deemed as justification for his selection by the powers that be. Disgraceful, but it's what comes from having 2 Queenslanders and a Tasmanian on the board of selectors.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Balmain_Boy said:

well time will tell. Clarke has youth on his side but deserved to be dropped 3 weeks ago. And I dont think two innings see him deserve his spot back, just ask others who have done 20 times more than what Clarke has not to get that crack.

Clarkes time will come. Lets see if he can keep up the form, then there will be no problem picking him, not just 2 matches.

Symonds is on his last chance. He has the ability to be a great test batsman, just weather he can. If guys like Sehwag and Peterson can go ok at tests then Symonds can too.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Balmain_Boy said:
WTF. Why is 3 scores not enough for Clarke when Symmonds never got 3 scores and is continuing to fail at test level. Worst thing is, just one score in the next 3 tests will be deemed as justification for his selection by the powers that be. Disgraceful, but it's what comes from having 2 Queenslanders and a Tasmanian on the board of selectors.

Mate Clarke has got 3 scores and good on him. But others have been getting runs every 3-4 out of 5 digs for years and not gotten the chance. Clarke has his and didnt make the most of it. Now he just has to wait a bit. His time will come.

And Symonds never getting 3 scores in a row? I dont even have to think hard about that, ....cricket world cup 2003 he rarely failed including 2 match winning digs

Balmain_Boy

Mate, my issue is not with Clarke not being picked. I'm not saying he should be re-picked after one decent dig at state level. I'm just citing the irony of Lockyno1 saying Clarke has not done enough but still advocating Symonds . Symonds did not deserve to be picked. That is the issues. It really has nothing to do with Clarke. Where I've written Clarke, insert any other Australian Batsmen with the credentials and the point stands.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
surley Jaques should be further up the pecking order than Symonds, if the Pura Cup is the measuring stick

ryanallen

Juniors
Symonds might be there just to fill in for watson till he is ready to play, but will watson slot straight back into the team?? is he experienced enough to just slot back into the team??

I heard ont he radion when langer slotted straight back into the team that he was only put straight back in as it was 2 weeks off and that his experience will allow him to go straight back out and play naturally.

I doubt watson will slot straight back in as he does not have experince and i think he will have to proove himself worthy of a test spot all over again.