What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Classic Mafia: Sign-ups (Closed)

Apey

Staff member
Classic Mafia Sign-ups
Since this game is quite different to all previously run games, going to include some extra information in the sign-up thread.

What is Classic Mafia?
Classic Mafia is my tribute to traditional forum mafia games that all other games are based on. The intention of Classic Mafia is to shift the focus away from the night phases and back onto the day phases like you would see in traditional games.

How is Classic Mafia similar to traditional mafia games?
- A large percentage of roles will be vanilla (no passive or active abilities). Expect around 75%.
- Back to basics with Town and Mafia being the only two factions.
- Success for either faction heavily reliant on the day phases and analysing posts
- Day and Night phases will have fixed times, however expect the Night phases to end much quicker than the time allotted since there are very few actions

How is Classic Mafia different to traditional mafia games?
- The size of this game may be different and some aspects of the traditional set-up will be changed to reflect that
- You may post in the thread at night (this may be subject to change, hard to enforce without being a mod)
- Mafia may daytalk behind closed doors
- You will not know the game set-up (Probably going to take a vote on this)
- Depending on the game size, the mafia may have two kills where one won’t be factional

Please don't sign up if you're going to be terribly inactive (will either replace or modkill you) or if you don't like being vanilla, as there's a high chance you will be.

Minimum 13 sign-ups.
Maximum 19 sign-ups.

1. Drew
2. DB
3. whall15
4. KTF
5. HowHigh
6. Frederick
7. BM
8. soc123_au
9. Ozzy
10. Dutchy
11. butch
12. SGL
13. Parra Pride
14. mickyj
15. JM
16. Bazal
17. cjrankin
18. Smiley

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'm in.

What do you mean by "game set up"? Are you talking story/theme etc, numbers and powers, or the mechanics of the game, which I assumed you just described?

I would lean towards knowing, just so it gives us a grounding and subject to discuss from the outset as well as something to based our early posts/decisions on.

Frederick

Staff member
In. The only other surprises I've got left in my life are what the sex my child will be, and when I'm going to die, so keep this a surprise as well

Apey

Staff member
What do you mean by "game set up"? Are you talking story/theme etc, numbers and powers, or the mechanics of the game, which I assumed you just described?

I would lean towards knowing, just so it gives us a grounding and subject to discuss from the outset as well as something to based our early posts/decisions on.

I think typically it is included in the opening post for the very reason you mentioned. It gives people something to muse over. On the flip-side, inclusion essentially gives you a good idea at what the tactics should be for each team. Since this is the first game of its type on LU, not really sure which option will work best, so I'll leave it to a vote.

Also, what is usually included is the game structure (meant to say structure instead of set-up). i.e Number of town/mafia and what power roles are the game.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
If it's pretty much in the first post anyway then I vote surprise and wait for the first post.

If there's no protection chain I'd vote for surprise in regards to numbers, if there is a protection chain then I want to know.

Would hate to get into that situation where we don't know numbers but have an outed don. We kill a mafia, now lets try and lynch the don...nope. Hey we got another mafia, now we lynch the don...nope.

That's not really a clear answer either way though is it. lol.

Apey

Staff member
These games are very vanilla in every sense. The idea is that it's primary about the posts. This also actually makes the few night actions that do exist much more important. The only genuine issue is whether it's too vanilla to the point where it's hard to generate any discussion which is kind of where the known vs unknown set-up comes in.

Edit: By in the first post I mean the structure would be posted in the OP. It won't be otherwise.

I want to give an example but then that pretty much gives it away even if I generalise it or use a different structure :lol:

Apey

Staff member
If known, the OP of the game thread will say something like

Game set-up/structure/layout/whatever the f**k

x players
y mafia - <mafia power roles and # of if any>
z town - <town power roles and # of if any>

Ozzy

First Grade
I'll join but the weekends will be hard for me as I become relatively inactive on them. Also unknown is probably better.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'll go with known.

If it's unknown all mafia have to do is nothing and people will just spend all their time going "we know nothing, we don't know what to do, waaahhh"

Known will at least give points and references to where people can draw conclusions instead of waiting for that one power person to come out and tell us what to do.

soc123_au

Staff member
Maybe just a census? I would prefer we didn't know the powers or numbers of any powers. That way it still leaves the option to claim a power if someone wanted to. It would be a very risky play to attempt, but games have been won on some crazy claims before though.

Latest posts