What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clean install of Windows 7

simostorm

Bench
I have windows xp,
I don't care about any other programs or files on my computer, just want to update to a newer windows. If I just do a clean installation on my computer will I need to also download all the drivers again for all the hardware components? vid card, mobo bios.. etc etc.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I have windows xp,
I don't care about any other programs or files on my computer, just want to update to a newer windows. If I just do a clean installation on my computer will I need to also download all the drivers again for all the hardware components? vid card, mobo bios.. etc etc.
Yes, but that's why in these situations it's better to upgrade.

Frederick

Staff member
Ignore bulldog force, he/she/it's an idiot.

Windows 7 should automatically download and install all the drivers you need

simostorm

Bench
On windows 8 it says you need WDDM driver, does that just come with some new nvidia drivers?
Also i dont have any touch features on my monitor, so would i need a new monitor for windows 8?

otherwise i'll just get win 7.

simostorm

Bench
when i run the upgrade assistant from microsoft to see if win 8 will run, it says the platform is not supported.

Bulldog Force

Referee
On windows 8 it says you need WDDM driver, does that just come with some new nvidia drivers?
Also i dont have any touch features on my monitor, so would i need a new monitor for windows 8?

You don't need a touch screen for Windows 8 - it's an option. Windows 8 has had very bad reviews. I'd stick to 7.

Bulldog Force

Referee
well if you have 8 you get a free upgrade to 8.1 so why wouldn't i talk about 8.1?

idiot
I know that, but Simo is talking 8 - so I'm talking 8 with him.

Simo, windows 8 received so many negative reviews that windows 8.1 has a different interface. 8.1 is a free upgrade available, but if you are not interested in that then win7 is the way to go.

Frederick

Staff member
Windows 7 comes with many drivers included so it may have all of them or it may not, Fred!

Windows 7 automatic updates not only searches for updates for windows, but other hardware installed on out computer.

Why bother joining in a conversation if you don't know anything about the topic?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Windows 7 automatic updates not only searches for updates for windows, but other hardware installed on out computer.

Why bother joining in a conversation if you don't know anything about the topic?
Why is it then that when I changed my graphics card, I needed to download and install the driver manually?

Frederick

Staff member
Maybe it's because you're an idiot?

When I did a fresh install of windows 7 just last week, it found and installed every single driver I needed. All I had to install was the software that I used

Bulldog Force

Referee
Maybe it's because you're an idiot?

When I did a fresh install of windows 7 just last week, it found and installed every single driver I needed. All I had to install was the software that I used
Nice way to avoid answering the question - is that your answer?? I needed to go to the website and manually download & install it.

Danish

Referee

If you are used to using XP then Win7 will be a much easier transition. Most things are still accessed the same way and you won't have the metro screen to contend with (although personally I like the it).

Having said that if you aren't a complete spaz then acclimatising to Win8 really isn't that difficult and personally I think it is a better OS than Win7 once you have it set up nicely.

How old is your current hardware though? Might be time to upgrade

Latest posts