What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleary v Ponga

Saintsified

Bench
Who's better and why? also why are some saying Ponga is too young for Origin? yet they don't say the same for Cleary when in reality is only about 6 months older.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
6 months is a lot when you are talking about very short careers so far. Plus Cleary has more NRL experience. As to who is better bit hard to say this early.

Life's Good

Coach
Different positions so it’s not possible to compare IMO.
Cleary is delivering against expectation in what is the most crucial on field position/role.
Ponga is delivering well above expectation(he’s doing it all himself)given he’s only played about 20 games. I’m looking forward to seeing how he handles his 2nd year(technically 2 & a small bit).

As for Origin, both being selected shows if you’re good enough, you’re old enough.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Jonathan Thurston is the GOAT.

He wore headgear.

Ponga wears headgear.

Therefore Ponga’s better.

So we should call him KID.

mongoose

Coach
Cleary is the vastly superior player in most facets. Ponga reminds me of someone like Kurt Gidley - A good well rounded player but not someone a contending club should build around.
Kurt Gidley? Did you even see him play?
Ponga does shit on the field he has no right to be doing, Gidley was known for "trying hard"

nick87

Coach
Hard to say who's better, but if i could have one of them at my club, it would be Cleary all day
Even average NRL fullbacks like Wighton are servicable players, it's a far easier position to find and fill... finding an elite halfback you can build a team around for 12 years is the hardest thing in this sport to do team building wise

Also the nature of Ponga's game, he's 1-2 bad injuries away from losing a lot of what makes him so good. Cleary's best attribute isnt his athleticism. It would STUN me if Cleary isnt one of the best 5 players in the game...

I dont expect it to happen but it wouldnt shock me if in 6 years time Ponga isnt playing rep footy

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I am a Panthers fan and I say Ponga for sure. Cleary has very little vision or creativity. He has a very good mentality and works extremely hard though.

McLovin

Staff member
Kurt Gidley? Did you even see him play?
Ponga does shit on the field he has no right to be doing, Gidley was known for "trying hard"

Give me one example of what he does on the field "he has no right in doing". Fact is, his skillset is limited to goose stepping and throwing the occassional cutout ball.

typicalfan

Coach
Cleary and Cronk are the type of halves dominant teams build their team around. Success follows them.

Danish

Referee
Jonathan Thurston is the GOAT.

He wore headgear.

Ponga wears headgear.

Therefore Ponga’s better.

So we should call him KID.

But does ponga give his away after the game?

That is the sign of a true hero among men

Latest posts