What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Club Loyalty

kmav23

Juniors
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/17/3218593.htm?site=newcastle

Newcastle Knights forward Cory Paterson says he is shattered that he is not wanted by the club next season, despite still being under contract.
New coach Wayne Bennett is already planning his playing roster for next season, but his plans do not include Cory Paterson.
The 23-year-old is still under contract until the end of next season, but in a statement the club says it has given him permission to investigate other playing opportunities.
On a social networking site, Paterson says he is shattered, but maintains there is still a chance he will still be at the Knights next year.
The news has also upset fans who have posted comments on social networking sites.
When he bought the club, mining magnate Nathan Tinkler said he wanted the team to be made up of local juniors.
Paterson has been with the Knights since he was 16.
The decision to let Paterson go comes amid reports over the last couple of weeks that the Knights are chasing Roosters forward Nate Myles for next year.

When a player is off contract and signs elsewhere they are slammed as not loyal and greedy etc..by fans and clubs...

However when a clubs tell players who still have years left in their contract to look elsewhere it seems okay...

how is that fair when a player finishes his contract he has every right to leave... but the club tells a player in this case a local junior since 16 to piss off when there is 1 yr left...

Where is the loyalty and Honour of the club ?

A contract has been signed by both parties...

Corey has no choice but to leave, if he stays in newcastle for his final year they will play him in reserve grade and his value will be crap when he looks for a new contract...

Average first grade player career is only 40 games to look after their families... and future.. every contract and game is potentially your last...

So players should earn as much as they can now... as there is no loyalty from the clubs..

Reversal Role

What heppens in reverse when a player for example...Josh Dugan... who might have 2 years left on his contract and tells his club you should find another fullback and let me out of my contract or i will only play reserve grade level...as i wont try hard...as i have a better offers elsewhere

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
The issue here is Tinkler making a big thing about bringing local players back to Newcastle...

He has effectively booted one out.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Club loyalty is just that .. Supporters should be loyal to the club. Club > Individual Players at the club every time.

Tough decision but one that has been made in the interest of making the club stronger. Dont like it, go buy a box of tissues and have a cry.

Western Saint

First Grade
Contracts arent worth the paper theyre printed on, clubs sack coaches, players mid contract and players walk out of contracts, as much as it pains the fans at the end of the day its not the fans thatll pay your wage and as browney and mccraken found out your one bad injury away from no more league.

stormbati

Bench
I wouldnt be surprised if Melbourne make a play at him. Adam Blair is leaving so there's a hole there.

kmav23

Juniors
players should walk out mid contract... if they get better offers.... or unhappy...

they should tell clubs "let me out your not in my plans....i have better offers"

Apey

Staff member
It has very little to do with loyalty, nor whether he is a local or an import.

He is overpaid & under-performing. Thus he is the first casualty.

I imagine there will be at least one other local given the boot in the near future, similarly for some imports.

Liddell

Juniors
If he has a contract he should dig his heels in, Joe Gulavao style if he wants to stay.

I'd rather my club told me now then wait till november when clubs have no cap space left.

kmav23

Juniors
It has very little to do with loyalty, nor whether he is a local or an import.

He is overpaid & under-performing. Thus he is the first casualty.

I imagine there will be at least one other local given the boot in the near future, similarly for some imports.

does it work the other way ?

if a player overperforms his contract can he ask the club to release him for more money elsewhere... ?

BunniesMan

Immortal
When we did the same thing with Champion we were critcized by everybody and their mother for being soulless and loyalless, but now that it's the Knights/Bennett doing it, it's all good.

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
does it work the other way ?

if a player overperforms his contract can he ask the club to release him for more money elsewhere... ?

Well were is the players loyalty in that case? Loyalty is a two way street.....that has been quoted alot recently and is the case here.

Noname36

First Grade
Ugh. There's some idiots in this thread.

Paterson averages about 20-30 metres per game, and usually misses more tackles than he makes...and that's usually in 80 minutes!

If a forward at any of your clubs was producing that crap on a weekly basis, when he's earning around 300k a year, you would have wanted him gone immediately.

Paterson has all the talent in the world, but he doesn't put in, or help out his teammates in any way, shape or form. Why should he automatically have a place in the side over someone like Matty Hilder who consistency busts his ass for the team just because he's a junior?

Last edited:

Pedge1971

First Grade
As a Knights supporter it makes me cringe a bit, but the facts are Pato has been big on potential but only delivered in glimpses.

Not sure whether it's an attitude thing but maybe a change will do him good. It worked for Perry and Snowden.

Gippsy

Bench
As for the contract, he is still going to get paid for the final year. It just might be another club that pays it, or part of it with Knights making up the balance.

Eels Dude

Coach
When we did the same thing with Champion we were critcized by everybody and their mother for being soulless and loyalless, but now that it's the Knights/Bennett doing it, it's all good.

Your club was criticized for doing it and then having sook about Sandow leaving elsewhere for more money and saying he had no loyalty.