What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Club salary cap

Twenty10

Juniors
So the dragons have sweet FA in the kitty for next year. 250k to spend in the cap. That’s it. So there’ll be no changes to roster without some considerable axings and astute management. Now, we don’t have the astute management so I guess we will be stuck with Pearson, Rava, Saab, Aitken, Lafai, dufty.... wouldn’t knock the top of a rice pudding. WIN Corp refuse to put in a cent. Begs the question... why the hell did they buy in??????

So the dragons have sweet FA in the kitty for next year. 250k to spend in the cap. That’s it. So there’ll be no changes to roster without some considerable axings and astute management. Now, we don’t have the astute management so I guess we will be stuck with Pearson, Rava, Saab, Aitken, Lafai, dufty.... wouldn’t knock the top of a rice pudding. WIN Corp refuse to put in a cent. Begs the question... why the hell did they buy in??????
Or a bigger question.
Why was their buyout proposal the only one considered?
The club was handed to them on a silver platter.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
If I bought Saints or any other sporting club. I would be planning to spend money. Most sporting clubs/teams don't make a profit and the only way a rugby league club is going to make money is by being successful. In 2010/2011, we were running at a profit, because we were in the middle of a very successful period. At the time I think we were making more profit than any other NRL club.

Tuddy

Juniors
How anyone can see we've benefited from the WIN buyout I have no idea. When I say "we" I mean of course the supporters and not the directors of the club.

I've looked at this for a while now and I can literally see no upside, which is crazy when you consider we had an alternate buyer that was prepared to put in more money to purchase a share and has business acumen that we can only dream of.

What is it they say, the first generation grows it, the second maintains it and the third loses it. Guess we all now which generation has the reins right now.

fedzy

Juniors

To give his son something to do.

When they went to purchase the side they wanted to pay with advertising spots.
WIN do not want to put anything in. I believe the long term plan is to move it all down south and for WIN to get some TV rights or production like Dragons TV.

Another poor commercial decision. Only based on director survival as they would not have any other job otherwise.

possm

Coach
Or a bigger question.
Why was their buyout proposal the only one considered?
The club was handed to them on a silver platter.

The end result was WIN got SGI shares and the chairmanship of the Board in return for forgiving Illawarra's debt to WIN, the Gordon's and SGI. If they were not given the nod, they would have had to write of the debt with nothing in return or bankrupt the Illawarra Club.

getsmarty

Immortal

More to do with Cap management, than the club being broke....that being said, why did we not take the offer from the sports company which was allegedly 5 million more than Win....

Join the dots...not hard to work out.

Frank Facer

First Grade
More to do with Cap management, than the club being broke....that being said, why did we not take the offer from the sports company which was allegedly 5 million more than Win....

Join the dots...not hard to work out.
I think the other offers from Bingo and the other from one who own other sporting teams, such as an NBL team were both St George fans from way back who's allegiance would have been too St George. Maybe the NRL or the Illawarra faction didn't want more St George, but couldn't find any others Illawarra fans that were interested in buying up the Illawarra half. Saints Leagues should have just bought up the Illawarra half and we then could have done what Manly did and go back to being St George Dragons and played a couple of token games at Illawarra each year, until (if) they got an Illawarra team back in.

getsmarty

Immortal
I think the other offers from Bingo and the other from one who own other sporting teams, such as an NBL team were both St George fans from way back who's allegiance would have been too St George. Maybe the NRL or the Illawarra faction didn't want more St George, but couldn't find any others Illawarra fans that were interested in buying up the Illawarra half. Saints Leagues should have just bought up the Illawarra half and we then could have done what Manly did and go back to being St George Dragons and played a couple of token games at Illawarra each year, until (if) they got an Illawarra team back in.

Then why did the Gordon's allegedly pay 5 mill Less ? Did the other buyers not guarantee certain positions were not safe....I guess we will never know ...;)

matPORTS

Juniors
Unfortunately, 2009-2011 period was just as bad as it was good. Good because we had unprecedented success after such a long time (with the premiership being the cream on the cake). Bad because it bought an incompetent CEO, management & board more time. The lessons that would have (or more like should have) been learnt during that period were never carried forward. Now look at where we are!

As I mentioned in the Jack Bird thread - I don't believe we should be signing any players right now. McGregor needs to use what he has got and prove he can get the team firing. Then depending on how things go, we can look to enter the market mid-season, shed certain players and look to enhance the squad plus also begin roster planning for 2021.

This is likely to backfire more than it is to become successful. But do we really want to be stuck with a scenario where say an injury prone Jack Bird is on a back-ended deal (once the Broncos no longer have to cover a portion of his salary), only to then have a new coach + staff come in to have to clean up the mess? The current regime is not cut out for handling such 'complex' matters!

_Johnsy

Referee
How anyone can see we've benefited from the WIN buyout I have no idea. When I say "we" I mean of course the supporters and not the directors of the club.

I've looked at this for a while now and I can literally see no upside, which is crazy when you consider we had an alternate buyer that was prepared to put in more money to purchase a share and has business acumen that we can only dream of.

What is it they say, the first generation grows it, the second maintains it and the third loses it. Guess we all now which generation has the reins right now.
The only “benefit” is the Gong mafia have solidified their control of the club just a little bit more. Winter is coming.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Source?

Or is this just your opinion?

Gardenia

Juniors
That’s Sh$t . This year was the worst ever

Why buy the club if they’re not gonna invest in it to try and make a profit