What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clydesdales have folded

Lang Park

Juniors
On the local win news last night they said that Toowoomba is no more and are out of the qld cup for good :shock:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
When you say folded do you mean they've only stopped competing from the QLD Cup and have dropped down a few grades or folded as in the club is dead?

BrisVegas

Juniors
An article on this issue:

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/loca...localsport&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection

TOOWOOMBA rugby league officials are moving swiftly to make sure some of the region's best footballers don t abandon the Darling Downs after the Toowoomba Clydesdales announced they would not be part of the 2007 Queensland Cup competition.
The club's dire financial state was cited as the reason for the decision.
There has been continuing speculation about the depth of the Clydesdales' financial worries for the past few seasons. However, yesterday s announcement still came as a surprise to Toowoomba Rugby League chairman Noel Davis, who described it as a massive blow.
"It's important now that everyone works together," he said.
"Because it's not something that has happened in the past." Davis said he would meet with a squad of footballers who were registered with both the TRL and the Clydesdales in order to make sure they remained in what was one of rugby league s most prolific rugby league player nurseries.
"I've spoken to the board today and it's important we get some incentives in place to keep these players in Toowoomba," he said.
"But I think we'll lose three or four straight away.
"It's important we create pathways and opportunities for these players to play representative football so they have the chance to progress through the rugby league ranks. The Clydesdales have been aligned with the Brisbane Broncos for seven years, a relationship that has helped keep the club afloat.
However, Clydesdales chairman Frank Martin said a meeting this week with the Broncos' hierarchy, who had pledged to support the club in 2007, showed their help would not be enough to keep them financially viable next season.
"The Broncos gave us a cheque for $50,000 after the meeting so we can meet all our creditors for the 2006 season," he said.
"This decision has not been made lightly.
"I have sat down with our CEO and tried to cut all costs to the bone, discussed these matters with the Broncos and our major sponsor Clive Berghofer and my board, but we still have a shortfall of about $100,000 after Clive s and the Broncos' commitment." The Clydesdales' proud place in Australian rugby league history dates back to the early part of last century.
Traditionally, they were a representative side made up of players from Toowoomba.
The Clydesdales won the first Queensland Cup in 1996 with a full roster of Darling Downs players before falling into financial hardship in the late 1990s. The Brisbane Broncos came to the club s rescue in 1999, providing not just financial support but also players. Many of the Broncos 2006 NRL premiership-winning side such as Sam Thaiday, Dane Carlaw and David Stagg had significants stints in the blue and red of Toowoomba. The Clydesdales won their second Queensland Cup in 2000. They were favourites to win their third title in 2006 after taking out the minor premiership by 2 points. However, they were thrashed by the Redcliffe Dolphins 27-6 in the grand final.

DownUnder

Coach
nqcowboy87 said:
whos going to be the broncos feeder side
they cant have easts wynum ipswich or souths

Why couldn't the Broncos have Wynnum? The Wynnum-Manly Seagulls are a Broncos affliate club along with Redcliffe.

chileman

Coach
DownUnder said:
Why couldn't the Broncos have Wynnum? The Wynnum-Manly Seagulls are a Broncos affliate club along with Redcliffe.
Because Wynnum don't want to be the next Toowoomba, or Valleys or whatever other club that suffered because of them!

DownUnder

Coach
chileman said:
Because Wynnum don't want to be the next Toowoomba, or Valleys or whatever other club that suffered because of them!

Toowoomba was just about dead before the Broncos picked them up.

Smiley

Bench
Aspley will be taking Toowoomba spot in the QRL next and will be called the Aspley Broncos.

langpark

First Grade
Lang Park said:
On the local win news last night they said that Toowoomba is no more and are out of the qld cup for good :shock:
nice username! :)

This is such a shame. Brisbane teams get the lowest crowds in the QLD Cup and have the least interest in it, and wat's happening? we're moving more teams to Brisbane! :?

This is terrible.
If the national under 20s comp goes ahead I can see more sides going like Norths and the Young Guns. I'm sure there are a few other clubs struggling financially. The Qld Cup has always been in a precarious situation and with the loss of one of the original out of Brisbane clubs I think it is now in serious trouble. The ABC threatened to stop televising it couple of years ago because it wasn't enough of a state-wide comp, even though they show the union comp which has no teams from outside Brisbane/Gold Coast. It also leaves the comp with 10 teams which is the lowest number ever.

When the under 20's comp starts there will be no Young Guns. The Cowboys will be hoping that Cairns or Mackay get in so they have somewhere to put their players too old for the comp.
There are the same amount of teams in 2007 as 2006. Basically it's just a name change from Toowoomba to Aspley there were no local Toowoomba players in the side.

It's probably best for both parties that they split anyway, The Broncos don't want to be up there and have been looking to get out and the Toowoomba people want their own side not a Broncos side with a Clydesdale logo and that's shown by the number of people who go to the matches or should I say don't go to the matches.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just out of interest what sort of budget do the Q'land cup teams operate on? To be 100 grand short must mean they have a fairly hefty budget 700,000+?

aarondoyle

Juniors
It's probably best for both parties that they split anyway, The Broncos don't want to be up there and have been looking to get out and the Toowoomba people want their own side not a Broncos side with a Clydesdale logo and that's shown by the number of people who go to the matches or should I say don't go to the matches.

Well I hope when Toowoomba get a side back (and I have no doubt they will in time), the public turns out to support them. If the QRL and the local Toowoomba Rugby League puts in the effort and gets the team back, they need to be supported. No more excuses about the Broncos.

I also hope they build a leagues club to help support them. Without a leagues club and the poor saps who pour money into the pokies there, you don't have a lot of chance in today's world.

I seriously hope they're back sooner rather than later.