What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CM Punk Tells All

afinalsin666

First Grade
In regards to the WWE Network and him being upset about not getting info, I think thats fair enough. He was a performer, he wasn't marketing/sales. I would be very surprised if I (as a technician), went to a different department to find out about marketing or sales and actually be given any info.

I don't really think that's a good analogy. His normal payday would be millions at $70 per PPV buy. That was going down to $9.99. Logic would be he is sacrificing hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe more. And the complete radio silence and apparent lack of any consideration he was getting from the higher ups would be some scary shit.

In regards to the Shield, it's interesting that he came up with idea. To those who listened to it, did he seem to be complaining the original make up wasn't exactly how he wanted it to be? They ran with it and tweeked it.

He suggested Kassius Ohno, but they came back with Roman Reigns. He basically let it go, because he didn't care too much. He was supposed to lead the Shield in return for working Ryback, who he was injured by. Vince "owed him one". Of course Vince going back on his promise to Punk is bullshit, and he was complaining about that more than anything. It worked out in the end, but imagine if Roman Reigns worked under CM Punk for the first section of his career. His promo would be far better than right now.

In regards to where his WM match was placed on card, just because he thinks that it will be better than the ME, doesn't mean it should be. I don't think taker continuing his streak last on WM makes any sence when you have The Rock/Cena and HHH/Lesnar.

It went further than that though, it wasn't him saying Taker and Him should have went on last, but Vince and Hayes and the boys in the back after the match. He worked Taker and come back and they all said he should have main evented. He wanted the main to be a triple threat, and Vince got him to work Taker, saying he'll "Owe him one". (Keep count, they add up). After his match with Taker, Vince basically rubbed it in that he should have been in the main.

Also he didn't want to turn heel to work Rock at the Rumble. Him turning heel made a huge dent in his earnings, cutting his merch back from number one in the company, and he did it because Vince would "owe him one".

He comes off a tad whiny demanding to be the highest paid on the WM card.

That was in response to Vince and everyone hyping him up after the match, telling him he was the best on the card. He basically said words are shit, and if he was the best on the card they should pay him as such. He probably shouldn't have been number one, but at least equal to what Taker was getting paid, that was his main point. It takes two to tango, and he wanted Taker money, because Punk sold his ass off for him.

shiznit

Coach
Just out of curiosity what more is he asking for? I don't have time to listen to the pod, but he's been the longest reigning champ of the modern era, what is it that he's actually complaining about keeping in mind we've a,ready addressed burnout and tiredness? Or is that the who,Le thing?
what I took from it.... And I haven't been been in to the 'back' since the montreal screwjob days so I'm not particularly familiar with how it is now....

But I think in essence he was pissed that certain personalities(Paul Levesque) were running roughshod over the natural order of how the business is supposed to work.

He was particularly pissed that guys who were white hot when were being booked to job to Levesque. He mentioned himself as an example and Daniel Bryant also...

I think he was particularly pissed about it because he felt he did them a solid by working with Rhyback who was very green and just f**ked him up the whole time... But when it came down to it... he never got anything from it.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
the concussion/medical part is the most concerning aspect imo. WWE went over the top with stopping matches at the sight of blood and yet they don't seem to care about concussions. the blood thing looks like window dressing without actually changing anything.

alien

Referee
he shouldnt have kept wrestling when injured. vince telling him they he'll owe him one means nothing. i do hope he does pro wrestling again because he is so good at it, but it wont be with wwe

azzah72

Bench
SO Punk has signed with UFC and having is debut fight in 2015.

Does he have an MMA background?

shiznit

Coach
SO Punk has signed with UFC and having is debut fight in 2015.

Does he have an MMA background?
He has a Kempo background and is trains BJJ under Rener Gracie.

Ironically I think his problem will be his 'real' 'wrestling.... I don't know if he has a background in amateur wrestling...

Brock was a NCAA Div1 All American... I don't think Punk has that.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Punk is a money fight for Dana. Losing a lot of big name fighters means he has to take risks.

Punk will be thrown Nam Phan or similar, he might do alright.

shiznit

Coach
I've got no problems with punk.... He's jumping in at the deep end...

I have real problems with the UFC signing a guy with 0 fights...,

Thy should be Beyond the freakshow fights... I thought that ended with James Toney.

At least when Brock came over he had fought once or twice...

shiznit

Coach
He has a solid background in jujitsu

I wouldn't be so quick to right him off
It's hard to say.... He's been on the road for so long I doubt he's really put the time in with the Gracie's.

And even if he has decent BJJ.... That's no where near enough to fight in the UFC....

Just look at Roger Gracie... A jujitsu legend... A multiple time world champion... And he had an extended MMA background... And he was rubbish in the UFC....

you need a lot more than a bit of BJJ...

Last edited:

Special K

Coach
I love CM Punk and UFC. Sadly though I think Punk is going to get brutalised.

I have no problem with "the side show". He'll fight on a fight card against another newbie for a couple of fights. I can't see him lasting more then 2/3 fights.

alien

Referee
CM Punk Will Fight in the UFC, Former WWE Champion Announces at UFC 181
By Scott Harris , Featured Columnist Dec 6, 2014

hi-res-3de87428e6efbcb13a2b593f5193247f_crop_north.jpg

DAVE ALLOCCA/Associated Press

CM Punk will fight in the UFC Octagon.

The former WWE champion, who abruptly departed the pro wrestling world earlier this year, is switching over to full-time professional MMA. That's the scoop straight from the horse's mouth, as Punk himself broke the news to UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan Saturday night during the pay-per-view broadcast of UFC 181.

It's very awesome to be here. You know, this is something that's been in the back of my mind for a very, very long time. I have a background in kenpo. I've done Brazilian jiu-jitsu off and on for a very, very long time. But the idea of being able to step in the Octagon and find out what's inside myself and test myself is an opportunity I was not able to deny myself.

Punk (real name Phillip Brooks) said his weight class is not quite finalized, though he will "most likely" compete at middleweight. A test weight cut in the near future will help him decide for sure, though, and Punk said "welterweight might be there." Light heavyweight, he said, is not an option.

No opponent or date were announced for Punk's Octagon debut.

"This is my new career—100 percent," Punk told Rogan. "I'm going to go full steam ahead, all systems go."

Punk, 36, has long been an avid fan and student of MMA. Former UFC middleweight contender Chael Sonnen once invited Punk to accompany him during his walk to the cage—a request WWE kingpin Vince McMahon ultimately denied.

Punk is a longtime jiu-jitsu student under Rener Gracie, a member of MMA's iconic Gracie family. Gracie said in January there was "no telling how successful [Punk] would be if he devoted himself full time to the training."

This news will certainly provide a jolt of excitement—and controversy—for MMA and pro wrestling fans alike. But it's not one without precedent. Brock Lesnar, a WWE superstar who crossed over to the MMA world, remains the biggest pay-per-view draw in UFC history. Lesnar captured the heavyweight title in 2008 and defended it twice before losing the belt in 2010 to Cain Velasquez. Lesnar retired from pro MMA in 2011 after a loss to Alistair Overeem.

Scott Harris writes about MMA for Bleacher Report. For more stuff like this, follow Scott on Twitter.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-ufc-former-wwe-champion-announces-at-ufc-181

shiznit

Coach
Atleast he is giving it a go! Good luck to him!
I don't think anyone is really criticising punk...

He's just decided to jump in a shark tank... He could do it a lot easier and make more money elsewhere.

The UFC are the ones who have questions to answer.