What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CNK off to the Raiders.

jaseg

Juniors
Wasnt a big enough body to be a centre as he was in ISP either.

Yeah, nah. Centres generally aren't THAT big - hell, wingers often are bigger these days. That was his position in our squad (or should have been, given the makeup of the team), and we kept recruiting and playing average players at that position instead of giving him a shot there.

Your depth point is interesting... but good teams actually often don't release players just because they got an opportunity elsewhere, they only do it when it suits them - the Storm aren't giving out early releases because someone wanted to play Jahrome Hughes or Scott Drinkwater last year, for example.

Anyway, a disappointing result with a player I had hopes for, but at least it was only opportunity lost, not realized potential. *shrug* Good luck to him in Canberra.

Yeah, nah. Centres generally aren't THAT big - hell, wingers often are bigger these days. That was his position in our squad (or should have been, given the makeup of the team), and we kept recruiting and playing average players at that position instead of giving him a shot there.

Your depth point is interesting... but good teams actually often don't release players just because they got an opportunity elsewhere, they only do it when it suits them - the Storm aren't giving out early releases because someone wanted to play Jahrome Hughes or Scott Drinkwater last year, for example.

Anyway, a disappointing result with a player I had hopes for, but at least it was only opportunity lost, not realized potential. *shrug* Good luck to him in Canberra.

You did see CNK's shotty defence in the games he played for us right? He is a great kid but the club got it right with letting him explore his options, People get too caught up in his attacking prowess and try tally when defence is critical in 1st grade. Its a game of inches as we know. I get the argument with SK fielding Kata-Kearney Jnr but despite his obvious flaws he has the strength to become an awesome defender (And learn to pass I hope) because Kata is just more of threat once he gets past his flaws. CNK has done wonders to get this far and I wish him all the best with the green machine.

jaseg

Juniors
You did see CNK's shotty defence in the games he played for us right? He is a great kid but the club got it right with letting him explore his options, People get too caught up in his attacking prowess and try tally when defence is critical in 1st grade. Its a game of inches as we know. I get the argument with SK fielding Kata-Kearney Jnr but despite his obvious flaws he has the strength to become an awesome defender (And learn to pass I hope) because Kata is just more of threat once he gets past his flaws. CNK has done wonders to get this far and I wish him all the best with the green machine.

I've seen a lot of CNK's defense. Enough to see that the 7 game sample in the NRL isn't a particularly good representation of him on that side of the ball - particularly given that he only actually had 2.5 signifcantly bad defensive games during that time, blowing out the total performance (that Dragons game... jesus that was bad), in a position that is extremely volatile defensively.

I've seen enough of Kata. I would've liked to see more of CNK instead. That's all I'm saying. His floor probably involves you getting a cheaper version of Hiku last year. Ceiling? I dunno.. best centre at the club? (horrifically low standard) Who knows?

Matua

Bench
He's never going to get past his flaws. He's had multiple years now of being selected with them and he shows no sign of improving. Clearly SK Senior prefers a little pocket tank that can run hard on occasion rather than someone with an all round game.

Kata-Kearney Jnr has the same if more flaws as any other centre at the club yet he's not subject to the same evaluation as the others it seems otherwise he'd spend time in reserve grade to learn defensive patterns and how to pass.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
After watching the trial I suspect Herbert and Perham may have also factored into this decision.

Last edited: