What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Flanno

getsmarty

Immortal
So we have some formites wanting Flano to be discreet and have input into the Dragon's while technically still employed by Manly, others not wanting a bar of Flano due to past indiscretions, others wanting Bellamy but happy to forgive the salary cap breaches as he is a winner and what he might bring to the club. Unfortunately not all will agree on Flano's appointment but lets all get behind him and wish him well.

Well said @Trifili13

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
So we have some formites wanting Flano to be discreet and have input into the Dragon's while technically still employed by Manly, others not wanting a bar of Flano due to past indiscretions, others wanting Bellamy but happy to forgive the salary cap breaches as he is a winner and what he might bring to the club. Unfortunately not all will agree on Flano's appointment but lets all get behind him and wish him well.
I fear that consensus in these forums is a non-achievable pipe dream. The lauding of Bellamy versus the denigration of Flanagan is a prime example. For the record, Flanagan has at least acknowledged that as HC he should have done better in regards to his duty of care for the players. Bellamy still hasn't acknowledged that the Storm did anything wrong. Anyway, hopefully the appointment gets the club moving on an upward trajectory.

Tiger5150

Bench
@Tiger5150
How dare you make unfounded accusations.
Unfounded or tested in the Supreme Court of NSW?

"The court found that the various publications that Dank was suing conveyed specific imputations, including that Dank had administered drugs to players that were banned in sport by the World Anti-Doping Agency and that Dank administered dangerous and cancer-causing supplements to players. The court also found the material said Dank acted with reckless indifference to the life of one of those Sharks players, because he administered untested substances to that player while he was in remission from cancer and that Dank accelerated that player’s eventual death from that cancer.

Yet the jury then also determined that each of those imputations was substantially true. Let that resonate with you" …

Your post is an ignorant attempt to link the tragic passing of a young footballer over 10 years ago to one of the darkest episodes in Australian sport.

Might be many things. Ignorant is not one of them.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
I fear that consensus in these forums is a non-achievable pipe dream. The lauding of Bellamy versus the denigration of Flanagan is a prime example. For the record, Flanagan has at least acknowledged that as HC he should have done better in regards to his duty of care for the players. Bellamy still hasn't acknowledged that the Storm did anything wrong. Anyway, hopefully the appointment gets the club moving on an upward trajectory.
Yes exactly the supplements fiasco was caused by that Dank wanker i believe. He conned many coaches i the nrl and afl from memory. Even the archangel Hird got caught up in it. Yet Bellamy & co cheated the salary cap for years with fraudulent actions and the Storm are still in denial.
And what about the way Smith carried on when Alex McKinnon lay motionless on the ground.
Shane Flanagan is a saint(excuse the pun) compared to many in this sport and the main thing is he can coach!

SnowDragon

Juniors
when we hired hook, I was unconvinced, but didn’t want Flanno, who wasn’t out of he ban, he hadn’t shown me that he had learnt/developed. He has however done enough by now and paid for his “crimes”. Why I back him now:

his commentary is insightful - he knows the game
his won a Premiership as coach - he can thus coach
old sharkies players are all super positive - he gains the locker room, is a people manager
players like Dufty improved dramatically under him (and acknowledged him)
he knows our players and roster/cap after working with us over last years Ina few roles
he clearly wants to be with us

he has my full support

justadragon

Bench

"The court found that the various publications that Dank was suing conveyed specific imputations, including that Dank had administered drugs to players that were banned in sport by the World Anti-Doping Agency and that Dank administered dangerous and cancer-causing supplements to players. The court also found the material said Dank acted with reckless indifference to the life of one of those Sharks players, because he administered untested substances to that player while he was in remission from cancer and that Dank accelerated that player’s eventual death from that cancer.

Yet the jury then also determined that each of those imputations was substantially true. Let that resonate with you" …

ok mate, now what and where would you like to go with this, he has been signed by the Dragons and the NRL hasnt stepped in, he has my support and it will remain as such. He has done his time.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
The whole morality discussion is a bit ridiculous to me - I know I've mentioned this elsewhere so apologies if I sound like a broken record.

There's so much in rugby league that we don't know about - it's just that this happened to surface. I think it's common knowledge that Dank is a crackpot and the primary instigator. I won't comment on how much Flanno knew, because that's mere speculation.

I mean, come on. Our own great Changa has had some vile accusations put forward to his name but he is still remembered as one of the greats. Mind you, they were put forward at an awful time in his life. But were the accusations true? We'll never know.

Flanno undoubtedly has served his time. He's made mistakes. Bellamy and Bennett have also done some not-so-admirable things, but I know people on here would take either in a heartbeat. Hook was a supporter of one nation. Deano being selected would be nepotism.

So at the end of the day, the whole discussion of 'morality' depends on how you define it, as one poster aptly put earlier. But the truth is, Shane Flanagan is our coach now. For us to act like he's too much of a sinner for our club is silly. We don't know him personally, or how much he's changed.

Regardless of what you see as moral, dusting him off as a 'wanker' through and through is pretty dismissive. People can change, and none of us know Flanno personally. Those who know him well all seem to have a very good word about him too, especially his players. We need that! So, let's just put some faith in someone at the club for once. Our first premiership winning coach since Bennett. Even if he wasn't your first option, he is still the best one out there! Give him a crack!

justadragon

Bench
The whole morality discussion is a bit ridiculous to me - I know I've mentioned this elsewhere so apologies if I sound like a broken record.

There's so much in rugby league that we don't know about - it's just that this happened to surface. I think it's common knowledge that Dank is a crackpot and the primary instigator. I won't comment on how much Flanno knew, because that's mere speculation.

I mean, come on. Our own great Changa has had some vile accusations put forward to his name but he is still remembered as one of the greats. Mind you, they were put forward at an awful time in his life. But were the accusations true? We'll never know.

Flanno undoubtedly has served his time. He's made mistakes. Bellamy and Bennett have also done some not-so-admirable things, but I know people on here would take either in a heartbeat. Hook was a supporter of one nation. Deano being selected would be nepotism.

So at the end of the day, the whole discussion of 'morality' depends on how you define it, as one poster aptly put earlier. But the truth is, Shane Flanagan is our coach now. For us to act like he's too much of a sinner for our club is silly. We don't know him personally, or how much he's changed.

Regardless of what you see as moral, dusting him off as a 'wanker' through and through is pretty dismissive. People can change, and none of us know Flanno personally. Those who know him well all seem to have a very good word about him too, especially his players. We need that! So, let's just put some faith in someone at the club for once. Our first premiership winning coach since Bennett. Even if he wasn't your first option, he is still the best one out there! Give him a crack!
Great post mate !!!

Tiger5150

Bench
ok mate, now what and where would you like to go with this, he has been signed by the Dragons and the NRL hasnt stepped in, he has my support and it will remain as such. He has done his time.

Its a good question and my honest answer is completely nowhere. I personally dont think Flanagan should ever be coaching in the NRL ever again. Im glad its not my club taking him on, but its not my club taking him on and I dont have a dog in the fight.

The only reason I jumped into the thread was when DannyT stated that Flano, did no harm, which is just false. He oversaw and allowed the Danks programme.

Then DannyT doubled down and got all offended that I made "unfounded allegations" in an ignorant attempt to link Jon mannah passing to Danks and by extension Flanagan. Ive simply corrected DannyT and pointed out that those "ignorant" "unfounded allegations" where found to be substantially true by the Supreme Court of NSW.

Just sprinkling facts where needed but i have no dog in the fight and if you are happy, more power to you. Very glad its not my club.

justadragon

Bench
Its a good question and my honest answer is completely nowhere. I personally dont think Flanagan should ever be coaching in the NRL ever again. Im glad its not my club taking him on, but its not my club taking him on and I dont have a dog in the fight.

The only reason I jumped into the thread was when DannyT stated that Flano, did no harm, which is just false. He oversaw and allowed the Danks programme.

Then DannyT doubled down and got all offended that I made "unfounded allegations" in an ignorant attempt to link Jon mannah passing to Danks and by extension Flanagan. Ive simply corrected DannyT and pointed out that those "ignorant" "unfounded allegations" where found to be substantially true by the Supreme Court of NSW.

Just sprinkling facts where needed but i have no dog in the fight and if you are happy, more power to you. Very glad its not my club.
Ok, appreciate your opinion, and your fact sprinkling, I find myself with no choice but to support him as a Dragons member and now he is the coach of our club. His indiscretions have been talked about on this forum for many months by all and sundry, and they were always going to be a scar on his name. He has done his time and I have to look past that and appreciate that he is a changed person and a pretty good coach.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Welcome to the asylum, Shane Flanagan.
This is the guy i wanted the club to get for the main reason of "runs on the board".
He has the know how and we did not need a rookie coach to come into this current mess. You only have to listen to him on fox to hear how well he knows the players, tactics and the game.
He's been here as an assistant not long ago and knows our cap plus has history with many of the players so it was a no brainer for me. People can continue to hate, sledge and whatever but for me, he's done the time and been cleared back so play on! Im also sure he has more than learned from the mistakes of the past and paid the penalty.
Looking forward to a fresh start with him now.

YoHadrian

Juniors

The Dank Flanno. Get them on board. LOL.