What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaches who instruct players to grapple should be kicked out of the game.

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
If there are coaches out there actually coaching there players to grab the necks of opposition, putting players in extreme danger then shouldnt they be forced out of the game? I mean seriously, not only is it cheating and totally out of the spirit of the game but I'd suggest it borders on criminal. How can any coach with any shred of dignity or integrity tell his players to go out and put a player in a highly dangerous position where the opposition has no way of fighting back and is essentially frozen in fear, all in the name of getting an advantage in the play the ball.

I read last week the number of doctors who have come out and said what a danger the grapple is yet the NRL does f**king nothing about it. Why arent players instantly given say 8 weeks for any blatant example of a grapple. Unlike a high shot, grapples aren't typically accidental. They are a deliberate attempt to put a player seriously at risk and in a position they cant fight back from. I cant think of a lower act in the entire game. It should be treated this way. If those kind of major suspensions were given to people using the grapple would we see it used anymore? No. Wouldnt everyone except scumbag coaches want that? No fan or decent person involved in the game likes the grapple it ruins the attacking spectacle and is cheating. So lets get rid of it.

But seriously if there is out and out proof that a coach is telling his players to use the grapple well what a terrible thing for the fans of that club. To me that coaches name deserves to be disgraced as they are low, cheating cats who have no concept of the spirit of the game.

To the coaches and players using grapples

f**k OFF OUT OF OUR GAME YOU f**kING ASSHOLES.

Kumul

Juniors
Couldnt agree with you more. Also the referees should be trigger happy and award penalties as soon as anyone even slightly seems to be holding someone in a grapple.

Its turning me off games when this happens.

Ive seen the Storm and Bulldogs do it the most.

sooperdooper

First Grade
i think storm do it most.... after watching the gold coast v raiders
friend and donnelly doing it.... ex storm!!! just a coincidance?

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
Kumul said:
Couldnt agree with you more. Also the referees should be trigger happy and award penalties as soon as anyone even slightly seems to be holding someone in a grapple.

Its turning me off games when this happens.

Ive seen the Storm and Bulldogs do it the most.

It astounds me. I mean if these teams are obviously being coached to do this well doesnt this mean that their coaches must be accountable? Its extremely serious. Their coaching players to play dangerously. I just can't believe more hasnt been done.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
bula_stormer said:
Oh come on, every team does it (not purposely) and when people watch Melbourne they look for it!
If you've ever taken wrestling lessons, you'd realise that the kind of hold we identify as a grapple tackle is actually quite difficult to effect, and takes some practice.

macavity

Referee
bula_stormer said:
Oh come on, every team does it (not purposely) and when people watch Melbourne they look for it!

no.

when people watch Melbourne they see it.

constantly.

big pat

Coach
maybe the nrl should start by advising the refs that a grapple tackle should get 10 mins in the sin bin, things might change a bit.

Ice777

Bench
macavity said:
no.

when people watch Melbourne they see it.

constantly.

Just as people when watch Newcastle they see it as well. Like last night for instance ;-)

the Lock8

Juniors
Comon boys, try looking at games with both eyes or at least change the glass eye to the other side for a while. All sides do it as much these days as any other and if you don't think so ,you're only fooling yourselves.:cool:

macavity

Referee
Ice777 said:
Just as people when watch Newcastle they see it as well. Like last night for instance ;-)

only when we play Melbourne.

the refereeing was a farce last night.

Shorty

Staff member
I've seen Melbourne do it quite a lot but all clubs do it.
And I think it may have started to get out of hand because a few clubs have been doing it so the opposition have started doing it back to them in the games.

Ice777

Bench
macavity said:
only when we play Melbourne.

the refereeing was a farce last night.

Oh i get it. So it's ok to grapple if it's against Melbourne because they were the ones that started it and also do it just as every other team does?

Bloody big bullies they are :lol:

macavity

Referee
no.

melbourne grappled far more than newcastle.

only one side was pinged for it.

infact they grapple far more than any other team in the comp. they also slow the PTB down fantastically well, and never get pinged.

melbourne play the political games very well.

Ice777

Bench
Oh ok, i'll try again. So it's Melbourne's fault that they don't get pinged for slowing down the PTB and not the refs for not calling this perceived slowing down of the PTB?

So i take it that would mean if it was your team doing exactly the same thing and "getting away with it" then you'd be aiming the same criticism and abuse at them as you do at the Storm? It would make you a bit of a hypocrite if you didn't don't you think?

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Every single club is taught how to grapple nowadays. Grappling is not limited to nor is it singularly grabbing players by the head. It just so happens that in the process of wrestling a player and trying to get position sometimes the arm can slip around the head. Grappling/wrestling is a part of the game now and unless there is a major overhaul of the rules it will be for ever.

So if we are going to kick coaches out of the game that are instucting players to grapple there won't be any coaches left. The referee's just have to be more vigilant in the way they police the 'around the head' grapple. I can assure you that is not how the players are taught.

macavity

Referee
Ice777 said:
Oh ok, i'll try again. So it's Melbourne's fault that they don't get pinged for slowing down the PTB and not the refs for not calling this perceived slowing down of the PTB?

melbourne's NewsLtd employee coach and ceo are very good at playing the political games in the NewsLtd papers regarding the NewsLtd owned NRL and NewsLtd employee referees.

So i take it that would mean if it was your team doing exactly the same thing and "getting away with it" then you'd be aiming the same criticism and abuse at them as you do at the Storm? It would make you a bit of a hypocrite if you didn't don't you think?

no, i would be proclaiming it some sort of miracle.

Latest posts