What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Just interested to see what people's preference would be for the next coaches credentials or whoever will be there from 2024. There are lots of people opinions on this so good to get a snapshot of what the consensus is.

Victoire

Juniors
I think someone like Craig Bellamy isn't achievable or reaslistic. So, short of that utopia, I think my ideal, best-case scenario, would be to try to mimic the Dolphins setup. They have Wayne Bennett with Kristian Woolf as the assistant/successor. So I'd go with Des Hasler together with one of Young/Hornby/Ryles.

mattchuot

Juniors
In order of preference:

1. Ryles - Long apprenticeship at Storm/Roosters, fresh perspective on the club, highly touted by the Storm to succeed Bellamy so that’s gotta count for something.

2. Young - Good reviews whilst working under Payton at the Cows, would understand the club in its current state which could go a long way to working with it or fixing it, skin in the club so perhaps more trust may be given to him by admin than say an outsider.

3. Flanno - Only just gets 3rd in front of Des, proven and experienced coach, turned the Sharks around so maybe he can do the same with us, players love him judging from chatter while he was at the Sharks, us and now Manly.

4. Des - Same points as Flanno but the thing that worries me is his less than stellar salary cap record. We only just fixed our cap and we don’t want to be spending another 3-4 years fixing it even for some short-term success.

5. Hornby - Bleeds for the club and would understand where it needs to be to succeed but I think it’s just a little too early for him to make the step-up to head coach in my opinion.

mattchuot

Juniors
With Maguire, Hasler and Flanno available, I have gone experienced for now but would love Ryles as assistant to take over in 2026. Des would be good to steady the ship till then.
I definitely agree this would be the ideal coaching arrangement for the club but I don’t think an assistant role with a succession plan is alluring enough to snag the likes of Ryles especially with the Melbourne job potentially in the mix. I reckon the only chance we can get Ryles is if we go at him hard and fast as head coach before Bellamy makes up his mind for next year. Young or Hornby might consider the succession plan though as they have more skin in the club.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Craig Bellamy would be the best available, but mission impossible in my view.
My preference in order would be a younger coach that has done a decent apprenticeship with multiple club experience:
1. Jason Ryles …..ticks all the boxes
2. Josh Hannay…Cowboys/Sharks & QLD Origin experience
3. Dean Young or Ben Hornby…..maybe ready in 1 to 2 years

Flanno - No Way & did nothing for our club in 2 roles
Des Hasler - He’d blow a fuse working under our Board & Management style., but I have always liked him. 50/50

Walpole

Juniors
I think someone like Craig Bellamy isn't achievable or reaslistic. So, short of that utopia, I think my ideal, best-case scenario, would be to try to mimic the Dolphins setup. They have Wayne Bennett with Kristian Woolf as the assistant/successor. So I'd go with Des Hasler together with one of Young/Hornby/Ryles.
Hmm, but would that be the Dolphins set up we're mimicking or the Tigers?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
When Bennett was at Saints he had full control. Doust said, I can sleep well at night because Wayne took care of everything with the footy club. I dare say the same has happened with Price, Mary and now Hook hence why the mess. The board not only is soft and gives them ample time to screw up but way too much control, long enough to screw things up.

That total control aspect would appeal to Hasler but as previously mentioned he may leave the salary cap a mess as he has done before. 1 thing that I feel may appeal to Des though is this squad could potentially be similar to the Manly team he had that won GF's with, and that being some good junior talent coming through like he had worked with at Manly like the Stewart bros, DCE, Foran and the turbos which came much later but he had them firing and made them reps. Saints have Sloan, Bud, Feagai twins, Amone and 2 x Couchmans. He may not need to dip to much into the market just plug gaps as he has good youth. And the players seem to love Des and stay for him alone like the Turbo's did. The Dogs had no juniors and he had to look elsewhere hence the mess he left there with the cap.

raydragon

Juniors
Madge and des both hard heads that will shake the joint up.
young NO will be influenced by his old man.
John morris went ok at the sharks as did josh Hannay. Ryles and Hornby would be next .
The club needs a big clean out and somebody that is willing to butt heads with the people at the top .
so for me its either des or Madge. even they will have trouble convincing the people at the top they are killing this club.

Murfy

Juniors
I rate Shaun Wane - hard nosed, lots of success overseas. Seems like all the English boys love him. Only question is that he is untested in the NRL. Think he might even of applied for the job when hook was given the gig?

Think Ryles would be pick of the next bunch. Done a great apprenticeship, think experienced assistants with him would work. Not sold on Young and Hornby. Think their recent success is just a product of the systems they are in.

Dragon David

First Grade
I rate Shaun Wane - hard nosed, lots of success overseas. Seems like all the English boys love him. Only question is that he is untested in the NRL. Think he might even of applied for the job when hook was given the gig?

Think Ryles would be pick of the next bunch. Done a great apprenticeship, think experienced assistants with him would work. Not sold on Young and Hornby. Think their recent success is just a product of the systems they are in.

Correct Murfy. Wane might still be interested.

Ryles could do a Fitzgibbon, although, Fitzy had a good team already and got the Finucane and Hynes signed up to make the squad more formidable. Ryles would need to be able to work some magic to get a couple of speedsters and playmakers and a couple more hard and reliable forwards.