What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Mjab

Juniors

Dragons star Josh Kerr opens up on his feud with coach Anthony Griffin​

Reborn Dragons prop Josh Kerr fell out with Anthony Griffin last year, now he reveals how the pair buried the hatchet and where his future lies.
Josh Kerr walked into a meeting with St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin at the end of last season intent on dropping some truth bombs.
Kerr told Griffin in no uncertain terms that he didn’t think he was being coached. Griffin gave as good as he got and by the time the meeting had come to a close, the pair had cleared the air.

A clean slate was born. You get the feeling before that meeting, Kerr would have been happy to see the back of Griffin and the Dragons.

Now, he has sympathy for the Dragons coach and what he is going through as he fights to keep his job beyond the end of the season.

As he speaks to News Corp in the lead-up to Tuesday’s Anzac Day game against the Sydney Roosters at Aliianz Stadium, Kerr has revealed his concern for Griffin and his overwhelming desire to sign a new deal at the Dragons.

“At the moment we are talking about re-signing, which is crazy because last year I was in a position where I don’t think they wanted me,” Kerr said.

“It is good to know I have worked my way back into that mix of wanting to be re-signed. There are a few other clubs who have jumped in as well, which is good.

“Last year was in a pretty dark head space and didn’t know what I was going to do. At the moment I would love to stay, but we will see how much they want to keep me.”

THE COACH
Kerr acknowledges that he and Griffin haven’t always seen eye-to-eye. Last season, as Kerr languished in lower grades, he felt like he wasn’t wanted.

Something had to give. That moment arrived in the off-season when Kerr sat down with Griffin to debrief his year.

General manager of football Ben Haran was there as well, given a sideline view of coach and player hammering out their differences.

“I was off him because I didn’t know where I was going,” Kerr said.

“I felt like I wasn’t getting coached right. I sat down man-to-man and said, ‘I disagree with you on all these things’.

“He gave me his spiel. He just said, ’These are some of the areas you need to work on, this is why I didn’t play you’.

“I said, ‘Look, I disagree’. I pulled him up on a few things. He had his view on it, I had mine, just like grown men do.
“Somehow I am here. I guess he had blokes ahead of me he wanted in there, but I feel proud of myself for working my way back into it and not looking for someone else to blame.”

“Somehow I am here. I guess he had blokes ahead of me he wanted in there, but I feel proud of myself for working my way back into it and not looking for someone else to blame.”

Griffin is now the one fighting for this future at the Dragons. The club has already started surveying their options as they prepare to make a decision on Griffin’s future.

“I feel shocking for him,” Kerr said.

“At the moment his job is on the line, his old man passed away a few months ago, he is going through a bit at the moment and he is rocking up every day like nothing has changed.

“I take my hat off to him because he changed a lot in the pre-season to come back as the coach we all wanted. I reckon he has done well because it is hard if you have an ego, you don’t really want to change.

“I personally like him a lot more now. I didn’t really hate him at all - I was just off the situation. I like him, I reckon he has done a lot to change, I really respect everything he is going through and how he has handled himself though this course of what is going on.”

MOOKS MAGIC
Kerr acknowledged there have been dark days over the past 12 months. It seems a lifetime ago that he was part of the extended Queensland squad during the 2020 series under Wayne Bennett.

Kerr is happy to admit that being so close to Origin messed with his head. He felt like he had to live up to that billing and it weighed him down.

With his future on the line, Kerr changed management companies and joined Joe Wehbe’s stable. He also started working with former Warriors and Parramatta coach Steve Kearney.

“He calls me up every week,” Kerr said.

“He is a proper legend. He will ask what you think you are good at. I will say running game. He will say focus on that and each week he will add on something else.

“It is cool to have Steve Kearney and these people helping you.”

Thanks to the sage advice of Kearney, Wehbe and his business partner Peter Nolan, Kerr has found a way out of the wilderness.

He has now strung together six consecutive first grade games and believes he is back to his best after addressing his lifestyle off the field.

“I just feel like I got ahead of myself with my football and thought I was going to go on and do bigger and better things,” he said.

“I got picked in that Origin squad a few years ago - the “worst team ever”.

“You have to remember a lot of our players were injured so they were scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit.

“When I got picked for that I thought this is my opportunity. I went back to footy and was over-thinking. I was thinking I had to be this big representable player.

“I just had to keep my game simple. This year I just wanted to do the simple shit really well. Gees, rugby league is a simple game.

“I spent a whole lot of last season pointing the finger at someone else other than myself, saying you are the problem here.

“The only thing I could control was when I went home, I could sook or I could work on myself. A lot of friends and family made me work hard, make things simple.”
Says it all he had to get his own outside people to help him out

says it all for saints setup

Paddles

Juniors
Sloan had to do the same. Why do these players need to 'clear the air'? It's entirely the job of the coach to make sure the players are prepared, and thinking and worrying about nothing but the game. Instead we have a simple overgrown man-baby with the emotional maturity of a school kid.

Dragon David

First Grade
Club is in disarray, player boycott at end of season functions last year was massive red flag.
The coaches available are either rookie options or those already sacked before.
We’ve painted ourselves into this corner. I don’t see an easy way out.
We have a big problem FlameThrower and unless our Board chumps do something as soon as possible, the problem will get worse and trying to find our way out of the mess will become so much harder. The chumps need to realise in themselves and own up that they have stuffed up for far too long because of the utterly poor decisions they have made regarding our coaches since Bennett left.

I pity the next man coming in to be the head coach because he would be on a hiding to nothing. OK, if we did have someone now with that ability to coach a team to close out matches by barking orders to the trainer to tell the captain what needs to be done, then that will help. Hook doesn't have that ability and that has been all it would take because the players lack any skills of their own to think out a way to win.

We knew that this year was going to be worse than tough before the get go - off field dramas and as you say, boycotting the end of season functions was an indication as to how the players were feeling towards Management and Hook.

I'm dreading the next 6 games because the teams we play will be hard to win against and I doubt that we have a good enough coach to work out a winning game plan for each team we have to face.

Our next 6 games as said by Dragonsslayer are:
TIGERS (away)
COWBOYS (away)
ROOSTERS (home)
DOLPHINS (away)
PANTHERS (away)
RABBITS (home)
and he asks -
"How many do we look like winning out of that draw?"

I say - Nil

justadragon

Bench
We have a big problem FlameThrower and unless our Board chumps do something as soon as possible, the problem will get worse and trying to find our way out of the mess will become so much harder. The chumps need to realise in themselves and own up that they have stuffed up for far too long because of the utterly poor decisions they have made regarding our coaches since Bennett left.

I pity the next man coming in to be the head coach because he would be on a hiding to nothing. OK, if we did have someone now with that ability to coach a team to close out matches by barking orders to the trainer to tell the captain what needs to be done, then that will help. Hook doesn't have that ability and that has been all it would take because the players lack any skills of their own to think out a way to win.

We knew that this year was going to be worse than tough before the get go - off field dramas and as you say, boycotting the end of season functions was an indication as to how the players were feeling towards Management and Hook.

I'm dreading the next 6 games because the teams we play will be hard to win against and I doubt that we have a good enough coach to work out a winning game plan for each team we have to face.

Our next 6 games as said by Dragonsslayer are:
TIGERS (away)
COWBOYS (away)
ROOSTERS (home)
DOLPHINS (away)
PANTHERS (away)
RABBITS (home)
and he asks -
"How many do we look like winning out of that draw?"

I say - Nil
And I say I'm with you DD, nil !!!

TheRev

Coach
If we trot out the same 17 and tactics.. then we might jag 1 or 2.. if we fall over the line... 0 is possible..

But if we get an interim coach shortly.. maybe there is some bounce back.. the problem is it surely takes time to untrain griffins ridiculous tactics.. not to mention if they actually want to make personnel changes... tbh there arent a whole lot of changes that could be made due to lack of depth.. I dont see Hunt moving straight away.. Sullivan might be the only inclusion, oh and Musgrove.

Dragon David

First Grade
And I say I'm with you DD, nil !!!
..and based on this string of additional losses to the ones we have lost so far, we should be coming last. A sad thought and sad thing to say but let's face it, it is reality and it doesn't take a soothsayer or nostradamus or fortune teller to see that this will happen.

Dragon David

First Grade
If we trot out the same 17 and tactics.. then we might jag 1 or 2.. if we fall over the line... 0 is possible..

But if we get an interim coach shortly.. maybe there is some bounce back.. the problem is it surely takes time to untrain griffins ridiculous tactics.. not to mention if they actually want to make personnel changes... tbh there arent a whole lot of changes that could be made due to lack of depth.. I dont see Hunt moving straight away.. Sullivan might be the only inclusion, oh and Musgrove.
I hope you are right because I want to see us win some game now and then. But it is still a big fat zero from me even if an interim coach comes in sooner than later. Our year just doesn't appear to be one that we can bounce up from by how things have been going and get into a winning habit that easily - OK maybe 1 win.

thebigredv

First Grade
If I am totally honest I don't see a coach available that is going to necessarily turn this club around. It's going to be another hit and hope. I know there a lot of silver lining types on here but I can't muster good vibes or see positives from any angle right now.

Let's be real. Aside from Robinson, Bellamy, Bennett and to a lesser extent Cleary, Fitzgibbon and Demetriou there wouldn't be a current first grade coach who you feel could bring a cultural change in a short amount of time, let alone one of the banished ones. The game is currently in a shocking state when we have the likes of Crowe and Politis and Gould pulling strings that uneven the playing field and oppress the basket case clubs even further.

It's quite clear we are too far in the proverbial to be led out by a rookie coach thus leaving two willing premiership-winning coaches with baggage of their own available - Hasler and Flannagan. They feel like Mary or Hook Mach 2 given their polarising nature. That doesn't complement a disunited board for starters. We can try to imagine it differently but it's fact - we need to have learnt something from the past.

On top of that we have the current playing group. Irrespective of a fundamental void of coaching, we can't as fans deny our playing group are a fickle and mentally weak lot who are akin to a bunch of under 13s at times (today was another excellent example) and this new head coach is going to have to quickly sort the wheat from the chaff and not play favourites like the last two. That's a sizeable job, and as we know, rebuilds are time consuming and the market place is treacherous up against the big dogs.

I've seen Wane's name pop up, Hasler and Flanno both have admirers and even I half-jokingly suggested the Walker Brothers myself but I sense we as fans don't really believe there is a quick fix out there, let alone relying on the brilliant board to land the right man.

To draw one comparison going through my head - back in 09/10/11 when Bennett had us at our peak, St Kilda had Ross Lyon take them to consecutive grand finals followed by his departure. Now he is back and surprise, surprise they are back at the top of the ladder a third of the way though the season. They may not win the thing but he is getting the best out of a weaker group and they are in the conversation. Back at the Dragons, for the first time ever, I am looking at each game as a chance to get as far away from the spoon. That's the only conversation we will be having come crunch time. My point is Lyon, like him or hate him, knows man management, his coaching permeates through a group and is abundantly clear on the field, and more often than not, it is successful.

We have to identify which coach that is for us. Only problem is I don't think he is available right now and because of this, I honestly don't know what we can expect the board to do.

TheRev

Coach
It's going to take some smart coaching to fix the situation.. one of the reasons I'm so frustrated with Sullivan's lack of game time over the last 2 seasons.. is if we did want him to come in as a starting 7 now.. hes coming in cold.. but it didn't have to be that way.. he should have had a season under his belt by now + atleast 5 or 6 games this season.. but now we are potentially asking him to come back and do Hunt's job despite not playing first grade since the cronulla game... huge ask.

Dragon David

First Grade
If I am totally honest I don't see a coach available that is going to necessarily turn this club around. It's going to be another hit and hope. I know there a lot of silver lining types on here but I can't muster good vibes or see positives from any angle right now.

Let's be real. Aside from Robinson, Bellamy, Bennett and to a lesser extent Cleary, Fitzgibbon and Demetriou there wouldn't be a current first grade coach who you feel could bring a cultural change in a short amount of time, let alone one of the banished ones. The game is currently in a shocking state when we have the likes of Crowe and Politis and Gould pulling strings that uneven the playing field and oppress the basket case clubs even further.

It's quite clear we are too far in the proverbial to be led out by a rookie coach thus leaving two willing premiership-winning coaches with baggage of their own available - Hasler and Flannagan. They feel like Mary or Hook Mach 2 given their polarising nature. That doesn't complement a disunited board for starters. We can try to imagine it differently but it's fact - we need to have learnt something from the past.

On top of that we have the current playing group. Irrespective of a fundamental void of coaching, we can't as fans deny our playing group are a fickle and mentally weak lot who are akin to a bunch of under 13s at times (today was another excellent example) and this new head coach is going to have to quickly sort the wheat from the chaff and not play favourites like the last two. That's a sizeable job, and as we know, rebuilds are time consuming and the market place is treacherous up against the big dogs.

I've seen Wane's name pop up, Hasler and Flanno both have admirers and even I half-jokingly suggested the Walker Brothers myself but I sense we as fans don't really believe there is a quick fix out there, let alone relying on the brilliant board to land the right man.

To draw one comparison going through my head - back in 09/10/11 when Bennett had us at our peak, St Kilda had Ross Lyon take them to consecutive grand finals followed by his departure. Now he is back and surprise, surprise they are back at the top of the ladder a third of the way though the season. They may not win the thing but he is getting the best out of a weaker group and they are in the conversation. Back at the Dragons, for the first time ever, I am looking at each game as a chance to get as far away from the spoon. That's the only conversation we will be having come crunch time. My point is Lyon, like him or hate him, knows man management, his coaching permeates through a group and is abundantly clear on the field, and more often than not, it is successful.

We have to identify which coach that is for us. Only problem is I don't think he is available right now and because of this, I honestly don't know what we can expect the board to do.
Very nicely put thebigredv. Very good.

Captn

Juniors
So now we are down to 2 candidates Des and Shane.

Hasler
Pros
Can start straight away
Has a good understanding of the modern game
Negatives
salary cap and roster management
Not familiar with the dragons set up so learning curve may be slower

Flanagan
Pros
knows the systems at dragons-familiar with politics of JV.
Has been heavily involved with juniors at Cronulla and went to games around Wollongong/kograh(?)
Has some modern ideas based from his (at times appalling) commentary - Hook Mr 90’s
Seen a few different club set ups from the inside.
Negatives
Supplement baggage
Didn’t seem to get much traction when with the dragons (Can somebody tell me differently or enlighten us?)

Anything else?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
So now we are down to 2 candidates Des and Shane.

Hasler
Pros
Can start straight away
Has a good understanding of the modern game
Negatives
salary cap and roster management
Not familiar with the dragons set up so learning curve may be slower

Flanagan
Pros
knows the systems at dragons-familiar with politics of JV.
Has been heavily involved with juniors at Cronulla and went to games around Wollongong/kograh(?)
Has some modern ideas based from his (at times appalling) commentary - Hook Mr 90’s
Seen a few different club set ups from the inside.
Negatives
Supplement baggage
Didn’t seem to get much traction when with the dragons (Can somebody tell me differently or enlighten us?)

Anything else?
Seems fair. However our only success has come from Bennett as coach, a bloke who wasn't familiar with the Dragons, ignored our systems and implemented what he knew would work. For that reason I prefer Hasler, who, if he has any sense will do the same.

Coffs dragon

Bench
If it is Hasler, then what a great opportunity to prepare with 5 months behind the scenes getting the right staff & steps in place.
I’m sure he’d be watching this team with a keen interest to determine what’s needed and time on his hand to implement the plan.
They reckon there’s no harder working coach in the game with the time & preparation he puts in.
Fingers crossed for me.

Captn

Juniors
Pretty optamistic with both candidates. They will BOTH want to be a successful head coach. They have the ‘smarts’ to stand up and do it their way. We have a much better choice then last time. ( Hook was probably the best choice we had in a smaller pond)
Flanno for me.
Could be an interesting ride