What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Seems as though it's down to a 2 horse race:

Ryles and Hornby, with each taking turns at being the front runner.

Flanno still in the mix, but lengthening odds.

Hasler, has got the wobbles and now at prohibitive odds to be selected.

BIG RIG

Juniors
f**king hell I don’t believe any of this

one week the club is ‘ leaning away from old boys ‘

next week two old boys are leading the race

I really really hope it’s Des Hasler but if they have to pick and old boy even though they shouldn’t I reckon Ryles is the top option

f**king hell I don’t believe any of this

one week the club is ‘ leaning away from old boys ‘

next week two old boys are leading the race

I really really hope it’s Des Hasler but if they have to pick and old boy even though they shouldn’t I reckon Ryles is the top option

Des is going to want to see some light on the horizon in terms of juniors and cap space.

He doesn’t want to be the next Hook.

I’m totally with you regarding the haunting of old boys. They have screwed our club into oblivion.

The dead hands reaching from the grave. Mary 2 and 2 wins doesn’t make a season. It’s a joke.

The criterion should be merit, everything else is spin and bears dancing on barrels.

It’s a pity you find yourselves under the pump. Mismanagement like us.

We are both supposed to be super marquee joint ventures, in the 8 all the time. What the f happened?!

A few of the perpetual top 8 clubs are beginning to look a bit dodgy. Long overdue.

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Hook had 3 seasons, I think that was incredibly generous on our part.. considering there was really no signs of life after the start of 2021.

I do worry about Hornby ending up like Steve Price, both are 'apparently' very knowledgable (although I never heard anything from Price about the game bar 'dragons footy').. both guys are very likeable & quiet dudes.. but the Price experience was devastating.. he barely fired a shot.. the job swallowed him up.. and the comparison is probably not fair.. Hornby may well be the next super coach.. but I don't like the level of risk.

I'm not really sure if Ryles is that far in front of Hornby tbh, but atleast he has more diversity of experience..

Either one.. maybe with a tonne of support.. maybe.. the advantage that these coaches would get is that we get to copy parts of the Sharks-Fitzgibbon and Dogs-Ciraldo recruitment models..

Mojo

Bench
Des is going to want to see some light on the horizon in terms of juniors and cap space.

He doesn’t want to be the next Hook.

I’m totally with you regarding the haunting of old boys. They have screwed our club into oblivion.

The dead hands reaching from the grave. Mary 2 and 2 wins doesn’t make a season. It’s a joke.

The criterion should be merit, everything else is spin and bears dancing on barrels.

It’s a pity you find yourselves under the pump. Mismanagement like us.

We are both supposed to be super marquee joint ventures, in the 8 all the time. What the f happened?!

A few of the perpetual top 8 clubs are beginning to look a bit dodgy. Long overdue.
I’ve always believed RL, more than any other sport, is a game of passion. A club has to have ‘soul‘ to have a winning culture. The best coaches know this. It’s not possible to have joint ownership of a soul. That’s why we were able to win only when Bennett made sure all the ‘politics’ stayed away from the players, and even then it took three solid years of focus. It’s also why our losing culture becomes more and more entrenched and obvious when the politics dominates the football.

twinkletoes

Juniors
On what performance criteria could you pick either Ryles or Hornby as they have never been head coaches and have no track record to judge them on. Is it the gift of the gab they have presented to the powers that be...I just can't understand how the Board could take that risk when so very much of the clubs future existence relies on this very important decision...

I’m looking at your roster and the annual average 27% cull and I have this hunch that resources are looking a bit better in the years ahead for you than they have been.

Against that is the lack of seasoned solid talent on the market.

So I’m asking the next coach who he can bring along with him and I want an in confidence letter from the player or his agent to back it up.

Nothing to be made public.

I want at least 2 or 3 quality forwards who don’t break down.

And I want an Amone replacement as insurance or like gifted player.

That’s just the start.

I’m not going into next season with the dregs or a Moses Mbye type.

I’ll accept untidy youth, if and only if, they listen and try.

Watching Sullivan cut through was very satisfying as it was eyes up footy. I’d have preferred it wasn’t the Tigers, but it was good footy and not very common these days.

If all the backs had that awareness, imagine the strike?

Everyone is alive to that now, but a good player will find more than one way to skin a cat.

So fingers crossed he’s the march.

Last edited:

hewi

Bench
Andrew Webster

By Andrew Webster

May 9, 2023 — 5.56pm
Save

Normal text sizeALarger text sizeAVery large text sizeA

Former Dragons prop Jason Ryles has moved a step closer towards replacing Anthony Griffin as coach after meeting club officials on Monday night.
After previously being reluctant to take the job, Ryles is back in the frame as speculation grows Craig Bellamy will coach for one more season at the Melbourne Storm.

Play Video
https://archive.md/Ke58Q#

Bird's defiant stance on rumoured move

Bird's defiant stance on rumoured move
Play video
0:51

Bird's defiant stance on rumoured move​

The Dragons season could go from bad to worse with rumours around the movement of two players.
Ryles has been considered the warm favourite to take over from Bellamy if he retires and Billy Slater doesn’t want the job.
If Bellamy coaches for another season – as many in Melbourne expect – Ryles could be left without an option for 2024, which brings the Dragons back into the picture.

Ryles is contracted to the Roosters as an assistant coach until the end of next season, but he can leave earlier provided he gives Trent Robinson enough notice.
Dragons officials were tight-lipped when contacted on Tuesday night, but insist no formal interviews have taken place.
Jason Ryles during his days with  Eddie Jones at England rugby.

Jason Ryles during his days with Eddie Jones at England rugby.CREDIT: GETTY
They also deny the Dragons’ 18-16 loss to the Wests Tigers on Sunday – their fifth in a row – has expedited discussions about Griffin’s future.
Many names have been suggested as his replacement, particularly after the club told him at the start of the year he would have to reapply for his job.

Premiership winners Ben Hornby and Dean Young have been mentioned, as have experienced coaches Des Hasler and Shane Flanagan.
But the Dragons’ preference is Ryles, who is cast in the same light as Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon and the Bulldogs’ Cameron Ciraldo.
The 44-year-old has learnt from the best, having worked for Bellamy, Robinson and Eddie Jones, when the Wallabies coach was in charge of the England rugby union team.
Ryles is seen by several directors as the perfect choice. He played 156 matches for the club from 2000 to 2008 until incoming coach Wayne Bennett told him he wasn’t wanted. He then joined Catalans in the Super League.
Ryles had been reluctant to take on the Dragons role because of the daunting task of turning the club around as a first-year coach, but discussions have been rekindled due to the Bellamy situation.

Bellamy is expected to make an announcement on his future within days. Ryles’ manager, George Mimis, will meet Storm officials this week.
If Ryles joined the Dragons, he would seek a long-term contract – like the five-year deal Ciraldo has at the Bulldogs – so he has time to make significant changes. He is likely to want control over the structure of the football department.
The Dragons face the Cowboys at Queensland Country Bank Stadium on Saturday night. It will be captain Ben Hunt’s 300th match and there is mounting talk it could be Griffin’s last.
Ryles never won a premiership with the Dragons as a player but is poised to become the man charged with winning one as a coach

hewi

Bench
DRAGONS DUO WANT OUT

The Dragons struggles are starting to take their toll with reports of players wanting out.

Anthony Griffin’s side site 16th on the ladder prompting speculation the embattled coach could be shown the door within weeks.

Now Nine’s Danny Weidler reports there could be others trying to make an exit.

“There’s been a bit of talk coming out (of Kogarah) that a couple of players may not necessarily want to be there,” Weidler said on Monday 100% Footy.

“I’m hearing that Jaydn Su’A is getting linked to a couple of clubs. That will obviously get denied by Su’A, but that’s what’s going on.”

Weidler then said he had heard rumours that Jack Bird had been calling rival clubs.

“Jack has somehow got wind of me chasing that story up and rang me today (and) got on the front foot and said he is going to be a Dragon and is staying a Dragon,” he said.

“There’s definitely been something going on, but Jack wants it to be made clear he is staying with the Dragons.”

Bird can go but please not Sua. Rome is burning while Nero fiddles.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
On what performance criteria could you pick either Ryles or Hornby as they have never been head coaches and have no track record to judge them on. Is it the gift of the gab they have presented to the powers that be...I just can't understand how the Board could take that risk when so very much of the clubs future existence relies on this very important decision...
I would imagine the performance criteria would be negative ones on behalf of the other candidates- Doust will cast his veto on Flanno and Des wants too much money.

Dragon David

First Grade
100% Everyone see's Hornby as a great attacking coach, but he has great attacking players at his disposal, vastly different at the dragons.
No matter if it will be Ryles, Hornby, Hasler or Flanno, we need an injection of several tough forwards and some speedy backs. The coach and his assistants MUST get the squad better at defending and attacking and playing as a team. I can see a lot of player movements in the next few years with the aim of adding better players in stages to further improve our strengths over any weaknesses.

matPORTS

Juniors
If three old boys are all the options we are left with to take the reigns as head coach, then we might as well shut up shop and re-locate to Perth (so much for all the years where we were bagging the Sharks and requesting tug boats to take the whole Shire out to Western Australia) !!

With this speculation - why would Des or Flanno even bother to pick the phone up now?

Young - that would be a nepotism based appointment.

Ryles - if the Roosters think so highly of him, then why don't they promote him and send Trent Robinson our way?

Hornby - out of the three, I'd probably take him, given he was our Premiership captain, has spent considerable time under Bennett as a player and assistant (and seen the transition from Bennett to Demetriou at Souths as well). But again, he's going to need some serious re-enforcements signed to our roster, otherwise he will be doomed. The ideal preference would be him coming back as an assistant under Des for 3-5 years first...

No matter if it will be Ryles, Hornby, Hasler or Flanno, we need an injection of several tough forwards and some speedy backs. The coach and his assistants MUST get the squad better at defending and attacking and playing as a team. I can see a lot of player movements in the next few years with the aim of adding better players in stages to further improve our strengths over any weaknesses.

There’s a bit of a Dean Pay stench around the end of the Hook era at the moment.

The purse strings might be let loose but as I understand it, 2 seasons before there’s a team approaching what the new coach wants.

Even ciraldo with some solid marquee now in used Panthera isn’t quite grasping the nettle.

I hope Brooksy signs for them.

I think Des is still a viable option and if he’s presented with some cap space, he could well give it a run and players seem to like him.

A good coach is going to get factory playing above and beyond. Bennett is proving that with the Dolphins. If they make the finals with that roster, his place as the greatest coach of all time is undoubted.

Maybe you could entice Bellamy over somehow.

He should get out of his comfort zone, like Benny. Although he carries on like a child and teaches grub.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
This year there has not been much juicy off field stuff from the players as they seem well behaved so the journos are getting desperate and making up rubbish about player signings to give them something to do.