What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Mentioned on Twitter that Webb will present to the board Ryles coach, Richo GM & Brownie recruitment.
Apparently reported by Hooper.
Make of it what you will but I would hope the board would sign off on it.
That setup would potentially be a game changer for us, we would have the rookie coach with experience and connections to external talent pools, we’d have the hugely experienced and successful GM to take the organisation load and finally we’d have the charismatic clubman to help put together a better squad.

It may take time to gel but we have had 12 years of rubbish so I would support it if the board signs off on it, in fact I’d say well done to whoever for pulling it off.

Mentioned on Twitter that Webb will present to the board Ryles coach, Richo GM & Brownie recruitment.

Roosters opposing Ryles release.

5 year deal is being spoken about. Too long isn’t it?

You’d start him at 2 after the balance of this season.

Richo will have you deep into the finals in 4 years, he used to recruit, will sack his mates.

He’s expensive, but hes delivered.

Not sure about Browny, but something has to give.

Roosters are struggling atm. The gloss has worn off.

Exciting proposition for sure, big scalps.

Last edited:

Dragons154

Juniors

Richo will have you deep into the finals in 4 years, he used to recruit, will sack his mates.

it has to be 5 years, let’s be realistic here.

some people say we are rebuilding, but that hasn’t even started yet.

if we are going for a rookie coach in Ryles then anything other than 5 years just isn’t going to work.

it’s the same thing as the Bulldogs and Ciraldo.

if Webb is truly pitching a combo of Richardson, Brown and Ryles then bravo, that might actually be some forward thinking. It’s also interesting to hear that he will be pitching this at a board meeting on Tuesday, isn’t that the same day as the members Q&A?

thebigredv

First Grade

would take this. Would be best thing for us since Bennett was pinched.

wouldn’t necessarily guarantee success but you’d get the impression that all 3 would be taking their role seriously - a young coach who understands the modern game, a head of footy who wants to be the best and a proud clubman heading up recruitment.

give us that and I can see us rebuilding a playing a positive kind of footy in an establishment with standards and where players want to be.

failing that, do we have any wiggles who want to buy the club?

blacksafake

First Grade

Has to be 5 years

Has to be 5 years

I’m just worried that for unknown reason, there’s an issue somewhere and you get stuck paying him out.

We have that problem now, Seibs at Brisbane and Marys last 2 years were less than enigmatic.

I am also thinking your current books are in good order and there’s some kind of assault on the market in the planning.

I might be being overly cautious.

Against that, if the storm are interested in him, they have all that nrl money to spend and they may go beserk.

I don’t like kpis because nrl coaches are usually working 24/7/365. Pressure is immense, except if you have mates on the board like sheensy.

Then you can screw around and 3 rounds to find a combo becomes 2 years with the clubs blessing.

And i want a ten point plan to restore pride and bring back allure and grace to the whole sgi enterprise. Not just words, but action.

I have some ideas I will post up later!

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
That would be a fantastic way forward if Saints get Ryles, Browny and Richo. The quicker the better. Maybe get Browny in there asap as interim until Ryles can start in 2024. Anyone but Hook. Leave Hook in Qld. They can send his stuff to him. Save on his return fare. Browny will slap Bird with his brain snaps not reward him that is for sure.

There is a crap article that Roosters will want some payment from Saints if Ryles is to join. What a load of rubbish that is. Surely in his contract like all other assistants, there is a clause that if he gets offered a HC role he can terminate his contract. They would not hold him back as Saints can in the end being the tight ar$es they are decide not to go Ryles because the Chooks want cash.

Also read somewhere Bellamy endorsing Ryles saying he will be a great future NRL coach. Sounds like his decision Bellamy's decision is made up and he will stay on in Melbourne. He will want to leave on a high and I cannot see the Storm winning this season. He does not seem the type of guy that will leave teams in a rebuilding phase. They also report that the Storm are keen on Brett White (another previous assistant) to take over Bellamy who is currently in Canberra but I feel they are still wanting Slater as 1st option.

TheRev

First Grade
Any coach we pick is a gamble.. and it may well be 5yrs of pain from whoever we had chosen.. maybe more... and you have to consider Ryles perspective not just ours.. 5yrs is what it will take to secure a bright young coach who has numerous other options if not now.. in the next 12 mths.

I'm still trying to find the richo/ryles/brown story on twitter though (I hate twitter!), thats the first time ive seen a journo report what I thought was mostly a forum rumour...

I’d rather say to Ryles, we will give you a bit overs for 2.5 or 3.5 years instead of being stuck with him for 5 years and it turns out he’s a dud.

No one knows, so take the insurance out.

I think it’s a respect issue.

Could save you a lot of money and embarrassment.

This is part of building the dna again. It’s got to be a privilege to coach sgi. Sacrifices must be made.

They straighten up for the run home and it's Ryles by 3 strides closely followed by Hornby on the inside , a further 2 strides behind Flanno and Hook is gone , getting close to home , Hornby closing in on Ryles , but down the outside , coming from nowhere , it's D. Young they hit the line , and it's ........... ?

Hold on, I can see a large bald head still stuck in gate 45 in a jester outfit and (gear) stewards are indicating a protest.

I can’t find him on the official card…

justadragon

Bench
Lets get this deal done ASAP, we cant let Hook continue to run this club into the ground, I dont know what is happening with the assistants but something needs to be done there as well.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Wouldn’t give any coach 5 years; that discourse has been over used for way to long imo; sure we desperately need some players to build some strength in certain areas, but there’s something to work with there..We need a tough front office that takes the responsibility away from players and coaching staff a bit more - and take the ball up to some of the crap that gets thrown at the club.

jay mac

Juniors
That setup would potentially be a game changer for us, we would have the rookie coach with experience and connections to external talent pools, we’d have the hugely experienced and successful GM to take the organisation load and finally we’d have the charismatic clubman to help put together a better squad.

It may take time to gel but we have had 12 years of rubbish so I would support it if the board signs off on it, in fact I’d say well done to whoever for pulling it off.
I am deadset salivating at the prospect of this setup. I'm just wondering how the board might be able to f*ck it up from here.

Latest posts