What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching

Penrose_11

Juniors
Kearney is obviously pulling the right strings so far and long may it continue, but I guess part of being a good coach, is being able to bring in a good management team around you and then being able to work as one unit. So far so good. Obviously Brian Smith is onboard and playing his role - General Manager of Football and overseas coaching, recruitment, and development. Thus allowing Kearney to coach the top grade team.

Interestingly I heard recently that Wayne Smith is on board with the club. Now there’s a coaching guru if ever there was one. Huge experience but also highly skilled on the technology analysis side of things. What an asset and big ups to the club for getting him on board. ABs attack coach if I remember rightly.

Also seeing less and less of McFadden this year. He was head runner/ waterboy last year but thats Stacey and Rueban this year. I guess they always say that once you’ve got your back room sorted, things in the front office work well.

sup42

Juniors
I am interested to see who the club recruit to replace Cappy.

There was that strong rumor that Cappy and SK had a stand up row.

McFadden has his strengths so it would be good to get another assistant with a background of playing in the halves, SJ needs a lot of support (as evidenced by his need of an organising partner) you want someone like that to be constantly working on the things they are not so good at for when that halves partner gets injured.

More importantly New Zealand struggles to develop backs in a comprehensive way and more especially half backs, people like Chanelle Tavita need a halves coach about the place now not later.

Penrose_11

Juniors
I’d say Stacey Jones is well in the running for that role and probably already has it locked in. I think the Wayne Smith influence is huge. I guess a similarity to when John Hart was on board with Ivan in 2010/11. Support staff highly skilled in their trade

sup42

Juniors
I know very little about Rugby Union to be honest, obviously I've heard of Wayne Smith, but I don't follow the code at all.

I recall when Wayne Smith reached out to the Melbourne Storm a long time ago (he wasn't the first, another Union coach consulted Wayne Bennett, I just forget who that was).Once the Canterbury team improved, Bellamy and Smith began information sharing while forging a strong friendship (heard that from him on Radio sport where I get all of my superficial understanding of Rugby union).

I thought Wayne recently committed to helping the Storm out ?

Just on our Coaches, a lot gets credited to Corvo, but there is also the ex Storm guy Bumper (Brett O'Farrell) that volunteered to help his mate Kearney with winning the Ruck.

Our players are looking hard to stop and they are up fast, the PTB is tidy, we are not wasting any time in tackles

Our body position going into Gang tackles is affording good post contact meters for those that have the leg drive.

We are standing and offloading, well done Bumper. I was a bit sceptical at first, mainly doubtful his tweaks with our mob, would make a big enough difference to justify his pay cheque, especially given our penchant for handing out jobs for the boys.

I notice that Bridey lady, our statistician isn't always sitting right next to Kearney anymore, those privileges are the domain of the assistant coaches.

I wonder If that subtle change is the influence of our new Military leadership consultant....forget his name...follows Kearney every where helping with the clubs culture from the top down.

Brian Smith has been brilliant at staying in the background and advising Kearney.

So apparently the process takes three years. Looking forward to 2019 - 20 then.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
I suspect Brian Smith's influence is huge - I get why he's a divisive figure, but at the end of the day his record of success is substantial, he's always been a leading thinker in the game...

And as sup42 says, good that he's not looking for the limelight

Together the off-field stuff seems to be working well, along with the on field stuff - I've been a huge doubter, and to be fair we all need to see more than 4 games - but the signs are very positive, so credit where credit is due to all those making the decisions on and off field

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Imagine if it all falls apart after Cappy leaves? What then?

Ha...it won't. He's expendable.

What SK has done really, really well is bring in people to compliment what he's good at, to make up for what he's not so good at. As Sup says, he's got the military culture guy, he's got the ruck guy, he's got the fitness guy, he's got Brian Smith to help with the management of the football department, I presume there's a goal kicking coach (Stacey?) and whoever else they have.

I really believe that's the difference we're seeing this year. SK is probably a bit more experienced and better in his role but he's been smart enough to (or Cameron George is) to recruit people that fill in the gaps that needed filling. I also think Cameron George is proving to be the strong leader we so desperately needed.

JJ

Immortal
Ha...it won't. He's expendable.

What SK has done really, really well is bring in people to compliment what he's good at, to make up for what he's not so good at. As Sup says, he's got the military culture guy, he's got the ruck guy, he's got the fitness guy, he's got Brian Smith to help with the management of the football department, I presume there's a goal kicking coach (Stacey?) and whoever else they have.

I really believe that's the difference we're seeing this year. SK is probably a bit more experienced and better in his role but he's been smart enough to (or Cameron George is) to recruit people that fill in the gaps that needed filling. I also think Cameron George is proving to be the strong leader we so desperately needed.

Yep - still begs the question what is SK good at?

Forgot about George - he and Brian Smith are key changes, I think, with Corvo

Penrose_11

Juniors
What I do like is that whether it’s SK or the coaching unit, they’ve obviously sat down over the off season and decided on a game plan that’s going to work for them. The up tempo offloading style is definitely working so far.

I’ve also heard during the week that a lot of the turn around this year has been player driven and that they’ve fully brought into what how they want things to work. The players certainly look like they’re enjoying themselves out on the field.

sup42

Juniors
The thing Kearney is particularly good at, is making the Warriors stick to the plan.

That comes through over and over and over.

Against the Titans in the first half they got carried away with the offloads, second half they came out settled and went on with it.

Roosters game he told them at half time don't change anything. They listened.

Canberra they hung tough and came back stronger of the two sides, nothing flashy, just well drilled structure, not too many Hail Mary's, the right player running the 5th tackle in line with the posts.

Season opener they came out believing they could win.

Well coached.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah I think well coached. It's all well and good to bag a bloke but we've got to accept that yes, it's only 4-0 but they have been 4 well coached victories - all in different circumstances.

Especially with the Raiders game, they obviously trusted the process. Yes that's wanky coach speak but even when they were down late, they stuck to what they'd worked on. As Sup said, no outrageous try and score from 100m out like we'd have definitely tried to do in the past. That's probably partly game plan, coaching and getting rid of guys who couldn't play the disciplined style.

Latest posts