What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cody Ramsey

George Dragon

Juniors

St George Illawarra Dragons winger Cody Ramsey snaps two teeth in sickening head clash​

St George Illawarra’s Cody Ramsey has spoken of the pain from the moment he snapped two teeth on a teammate’s forehead.
This is Cody Ramsey’s brutal warning about the dangers of playing rugby league without a mouthguard.
It comes after the free-spirited St George Illawarra young gun snapped his two front teeth following an accidental head clash with teammate Andrew McCullough in the opening minutes of Friday night’s clash against Canberra.

He has since had to have them glued back together but will require surgery in the coming weeks to have them completely replaced.
Recalling the moment of impact, he said: “I knew I had done them as soon as I went into the tackle.

“My teeth went straight into the top of his head.

“I kind of just laid on the ground at first and I put my tongue across the top of my teeth and I could feel both of them snapped in half.

“And I’m like, ‘Oh, no, here we go’.

“I could just feel these sharp edges along where my teeth should be and I was like, ‘No, that’s not right’.

“One was folded in half into the top of my gum and the other split my lip.

“So it was sticking in my lip, clean snapped in half.”

Asked how intense the pain was, he tried to downplay it: “I think because I had a heap of adrenaline it wasn’t too bad.

“It was aching.

“It gave me a bit of a headache but it was definitely a weird pain.”
Ramsey said he was given some pain killers in the dressing sheds before returning to the sideline to watch the remainder of the match.

It wasn’t until the final minutes that he was taken away for emergency treatment at a Burleigh Heads dentist.

“They gave me an anaesthetic to numb my mouth,” he continued.

“I fractured a few roots in my mouth and they pretty much had to cut both teeth out and glue them back together and then stuck them back in.”

He said they then glued braces across his top lip and the top of his teeth, while he also had to have several stitches inserted.

He conceded it was tough to sleep when he got back to the team hotel but after a few hours of watching TV he finally conked out.

He said while the pain has subsided he won’t be biting into a steak anytime soon.

Cody Ramsey will be sidelined for a short period. Picture: NRL Images

He also doesn’t know at this point for how long he will be sidelined given he will now have to go back in two weeks to get surgery to have the teeth fully replaced.

It wasn’t until almost the end of the interview that he casually threw in the fact that he hasn’t worn a mouthguard for almost his entire playing life.

“I don’t think I’ve worn one since the under 8s,” he joked.

Though his advice for anyone contemplating taking the field without one in the future was simple: “Wear a mouthguard.

“I will go back on Tuesday to pick it up

OneEyedDragon

Juniors

St George Illawarra Dragons winger Cody Ramsey snaps two teeth in sickening head clash​

St George Illawarra’s Cody Ramsey has spoken of the pain from the moment he snapped two teeth on a teammate’s forehead.
This is Cody Ramsey’s brutal warning about the dangers of playing rugby league without a mouthguard.
It comes after the free-spirited St George Illawarra young gun snapped his two front teeth following an accidental head clash with teammate Andrew McCullough in the opening minutes of Friday night’s clash against Canberra.

He has since had to have them glued back together but will require surgery in the coming weeks to have them completely replaced.
Recalling the moment of impact, he said: “I knew I had done them as soon as I went into the tackle.

“I kind of just laid on the ground at first and I put my tongue across the top of my teeth and I could feel both of them snapped in half.

“I could just feel these sharp edges along where my teeth should be and I was like, ‘No, that’s not right’.

Asked how intense the pain was, he tried to downplay it: “I think because I had a heap of adrenaline it wasn’t too bad.

“It was aching.

Ramsey said he was given some pain killers in the dressing sheds before returning to the sideline to watch the remainder of the match.

It wasn’t until the final minutes that he was taken away for emergency treatment at a Burleigh Heads dentist.

“I fractured a few roots in my mouth and they pretty much had to cut both teeth out and glue them back together and then stuck them back in.”

He said they then glued braces across his top lip and the top of his teeth, while he also had to have several stitches inserted.

He conceded it was tough to sleep when he got back to the team hotel but after a few hours of watching TV he finally conked out.

He said while the pain has subsided he won’t be biting into a steak anytime soon.

He also doesn’t know at this point for how long he will be sidelined given he will now have to go back in two weeks to get surgery to have the teeth fully replaced.

It wasn’t until almost the end of the interview that he casually threw in the fact that he hasn’t worn a mouthguard for almost his entire playing life.

Though his advice for anyone contemplating taking the field without one in the future was simple: “Wear a mouthguard.

Thanks GD. Poor bugger! But the advice is correct "WEAR A MOUTHGUARD"

redv13

Bench

“It was aching.

Hey mate what’s the go with Sloan?? Is he injured?? I heard Griffin saying he’ll stick with Bird at fb?

Gareth67

First Grade
That would had hurt like hell , lost mine in a crash when riding my Kawasaki bike . The owner of a home that my bike hit had built a brick veranda slap bang where my bike ended up - some people can be so inconsiderate . 😳

Hopefully Cody manages to retain his looks ( unlike me ) and is able to get back onto the field this season .

Dragon David

First Grade
That would had hurt like hell , lost mine in a crash when riding my Kawasaki bike . The owner of a home that my bike hit had built a brick veranda slap bang where my bike ended up - some people can be so inconsiderate . 😳

Hopefully Cody manages to retain his looks ( unlike me ) and is able to get back onto the field this season .
I feel sorry for the brick verandah Gareth. Hehe!

The wearing of a mouth guard is essential as far as I am concerned. If Cody gets a good set made for him and they fit well, he should be Ok with it and play hard footy again.

Gareth67

First Grade

The wearing of a mouth guard is essential as far as I am concerned. If Cody gets a good set made for him and they fit well, he should be Ok with it and play hard footy again.

Agree Dave , I am surprised that he was not wearing one ,still that will be the first piece of gear he will pack in his kit bag in future .

Drakon

Juniors
I always wore a mouthguard in my playing days and wouldn't play without one.

It always amazes me how many players don't wear a mouthguard. Especially with the size and force in some of the tackles in the NRL. Seems to be a lot more friendly fire in tackles this year.

As soon as I saw the tackle and blood, I feared the worst for Cody's teeth!

Inisai Toga

Juniors
w

wish him well, but also somewhat annoying as we also down a player so early in the game….mad year!

Last edited:

rasaint

Juniors
Actually this is quite interesting. I am reasonably small 172cm height and 70kg. Therefore when I was playing both league and union what was the thing I feared nearly the most, you think getting smashed or rag dolled but…..forgetting my mouth guard.

I had a proper dentist one and also those sports store blanks you buy ( not sure if still around ) where u boil them in water and bite down hard to fit them yourself. I forgot them all one day and spent the game on the wing being a cat, arm gabbing and basically trying to protect my teeth.

I saw some of the really tough district Union forwards have a panic attack in the sheds if they forgot their mouth guard. Even seen blokes trying to bite into another mates spare mouth guard and hope it sort of stuck on his teeth …he was terrified.

those were the days…yes I am ’long in the tooth these days’. I hope Cody’s ok.

Mojo

Bench
The fans can't call him Jesus anymore, fresh cuts.
All he wants for Christmas is his two front teeth. There was an Aboriginal male initiation ceremony in which they'd knock a couple of front teeth out. I think he must be a mystic of some sort.