What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cody Ramsey

thebigredv

First Grade
As you are aware, our club is competing with 16 other clubs to recruit players.

we have several factors that negatively impact recruitment efforts:

1. Poor administration at Board level
2. A coach with an archaic game plan
3. A lack of recent success
4. 2 home grounds and training grounds
5. Wollongong is a considerable distance from Sydney
6. The CEO has stated we waited for the salary cap to be determined prior to attempting to negotiate with players

The three players you referred to as rejects are an upgrade on what we had last season.

They are not high profile signings.

Flegler, Thompson and Fifita are just three players who may become available in February 2023.

Until the future of Hook is decided we will struggle to sign any high profile targets without paying overs.
I'm aware of the challenges. All we have as a club is excuses.

I was arguing this time with people who said Woods is an upgrade. Respectfully. He has been nothing but a waste of space and yet here he is a year later given what he wants rather than what the club needs.

Don't mind BMM who is worth a shot - best of the dregs - but I see Liddle and Musgrave in the same light as Woods. Not much to gain by their signing other than their cheap price tag to fill spots.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
As you are aware, our club is competing with 16 other clubs to recruit players.

we have several factors that negatively impact recruitment efforts:

1. Poor administration at Board level
2. A coach with an archaic game plan
3. A lack of recent success
4. 2 home grounds and training grounds
5. Wollongong is a considerable distance from Sydney
6. The CEO has stated we waited for the salary cap to be determined prior to attempting to negotiate with players

The three players you referred to as rejects are an upgrade on what we had last season.

They are not high profile signings.

Flegler, Thompson and Fifita are just three players who may become available in February 2023.

Until the future of Hook is decided we will struggle to sign any high profile targets without paying overs.
4. We play at 2 Home grounds but only train at Wollongong.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Could the club do a whole lot better than replace our discards with rejects? Yes

Do they ever? No

Every year the fans are asked to wait as the club takes a 'modest and sensible approach'. The one time we shifted paradigms and actually went ruthless in challenging for the premiership ended in a premiership - the only one in my life time.

If we had attempted what the Dogs have done the last two years off the field the place would be buzzing.

Dogs may flop but it might bring them the success they are gunning for. At least they can say they tried. We know where our approach leads us.

Webb made us wait for some considerable additions to the squad. I'm still yet to see any that make us a team that will view for top 4. Lies.
Great post mate. Absolutely spot on. Couldn’t agree with you more

thebigredv

First Grade
Hi All, yes things look a bit sad at this stage. Hey not lecturing anyone, just don’t want any of my fellow dragon supporters firing off some frustrated comments which may step them into some strife.

Cody Ramsay’s serious illness and Junior Amone‘s situation are outside of the club’s control. I’m sure that our club administrators want the best possible team on the park and are putting together a cap relief proposal regarding Amone’s stand down to submit to the NRL. It’s probably true we don’t have the ‘connection’ firepower to get a few big name signings over the line but let’s keep our chins up. But here is an opportunity for the much hoped for Sullivan and Sloan to see what they can produce.

I don’t believe that Hook is a terrible coach. Let’s see how this season pans out. I’ll cheer on Jason Liddle and other signings because they wear the jersey with the big red v or the Steelers red with St George Illawarra on the chest crest. Best wishes to Cody for the best possible recovery.

Let's put a bookmark here and meet back in one year and discuss Liddle's value.

Honestly, we are all being strung along as fans. Stockholm syndrome deluxe.

We will all cheer for whoever wears the jersey that's a given but I can't forgive the club for consistently not putting the best players in those jerseys and coaching them well.

Sure I sound like a whiney so and so but please understand this years of frustration of the same thing.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Let's put a bookmark here and meet back in one year and discuss Liddle's value.

Honestly, we are all being strung along as fans. Stockholm syndrome deluxe.

We will all cheer for whoever wears the jersey that's a given but I can't forgive the club for consistently not putting the best players in those jerseys and coaching them well.

Sure I sound like a whiney so and so but please understand this years of frustration of the same thing.
Not at all mate. You sound like a frustrated supporter who has had enough, like many people in here

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Re: Cody
To gain a 'spot' we would have to medically retire him. It's the same as a player doing an acl in pre-season which rules them out for that year. At this stage it is assumed Cody can play again next year, so situation is the same.

Medically retiring and then re-signing needs NRL approval to register a contract. They can always so no!

If we do medically retire him with the view of re-signing, what becomes of his 'replacement'? Cody is a spine player so really we should replace like for like right? So, who, as a spine player would sign on for a 1yr contract (actually it's less now we are approaching Feb) and we say see you later in Nov. Mmmm I can't see too many, if any, wanting that deal.

So, what if Cody can't play again? Let's see firstly how Fox goes this year. And yes we have 'back-up' in our ranks at present.

As for Amone, I believe we have indicated we will, or have already, approached the NRL for cap relief. Remember Amone hasn't entered a plea as yet, which is also a delay, as charges haven't been filed in court, as far as I'm aware, but happy to be corrected if he has already.

So, I don't subscribe to the notion we are sitting on our hands here, there's a lot to consider, including the well-being of the 2 lads.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Good news on Cody's surgery, first step on his recovery and well done to the club in keeping Cody involved as much as possible.

It's going to be a tough time for him however, he is still part of the team.

Dragon David

First Grade
The illness that Cody has unfortunately come down with has ruled him out of playing in 2023.

Our main concern is Cody's welfare, health, rehabilitation and recovery. Whether or not he returns to play the sport he loves is not of concern to the club as we have several options up our sleeve and we only want Cody to focus on himself and him recovering and getting completely over the illness.

Cody is helping the guys out by being around the team at training and offering some guidance to the younger players and he will continue to offer this service when he is able and well enough to do so in between his further tests that he will undergo throughout the year and possibly into the next few years.

While we will miss him as our full back, we have Tyrell Sloan who is becoming much bigger and stronger to start in the No.1 jumper and we also have several options with other players to fill in for Bud Sullivan (short period out) and Junior Amone (uncertain length of time out) so we are not worried and the team that we will field in round 2 will be super fit and firing and ready to do their best.

The above is something that Hook should be saying.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
When you haven't made finals in five years what do you do?

You sign Liddle, Musgrove and Murdoch-Masila, cross your fingers and hope your luck turns around. You lose two of your best young stars before a ball has been kicked and what do you do? You just keep crossing your fingers.

The coach is a fraud.
Webb is a liar.
The board are an abomination.

Watch them all keep each other in a job and us remain perpetually obsolete in the competition.
This time round we will be relying on some juniors to back up the NRL team:

Sloan is backed up by Matt Feagai and Treagh Stewart (fullback or winger).
Amone is backed up by Sullivan and Bird.

Will Hook change his tune and play Hunt at 9 with Sulivan and Bird in the halves.

Dragon David

First Grade

Will Hook change his tune and play Hunt at 9 with Sulivan and Bird in the halves.
I doubt it possm.

since77

Juniors
Such a disappointment for Cody. Even though I’ve got high hopes for Sloan and harshly critical of Griffin’s management of him, I can’t deny that Cody really started coming of age in the back half of last season and deserved first crack at the 1 jersey this year. I really hope he beats this thing and comes back bigger and better. If not, I really hope the club looks after him long term. Also terrible that this strikes one of the cleanskins of the team and someone who seems like a genuinely likeable young man. At a time when we’ve got at least two complete sh$t stains in the squad who IMHO should never be allowed the honour of wearing the red V again, we need more good guys like Cody influencing our culture.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Re: Cody
To gain a 'spot' we would have to medically retire him. It's the same as a player doing an acl in pre-season which rules them out for that year. At this stage it is assumed Cody can play again next year, so situation is the same.

Medically retiring and then re-signing needs NRL approval to register a contract. They can always so no!

If we do medically retire him with the view of re-signing, what becomes of his 'replacement'? Cody is a spine player so really we should replace like for like right? So, who, as a spine player would sign on for a 1yr contract (actually it's less now we are approaching Feb) and we say see you later in Nov. Mmmm I can't see too many, if any, wanting that deal.

So, what if Cody can't play again? Let's see firstly how Fox goes this year. And yes we have 'back-up' in our ranks at present.

As for Amone, I believe we have indicated we will, or have already, approached the NRL for cap relief. Remember Amone hasn't entered a plea as yet, which is also a delay, as charges haven't been filed in court, as far as I'm aware, but happy to be corrected if he has already.

So, I don't subscribe to the notion we are sitting on our hands here, there's a lot to consider, including the well-being of the 2 lads.
Taking Cody and Junior individually everything you said is unarguable- there are existing rules in place, procedures to be followed in relation to their individual circumstances. Whether those rules and procedures by themselves are fair, particularly when there are multiple players involved- as is the case at the Dragons, is another matter entirely. My view is that both rules as currently written, are harsh, blunt instruments. What is wrong with eg allowing for a 2 year contract of a player who hasn't played say more than 10 full NRL games, as a like for like, rather than just one year-to address the inherent problem of attracting a player for less than 1 year?

My argument is that, at the very minimum, there should be a provision allowing for the waiving of those rules in exceptional circumstances and this, at the very least, is something the Dragons could and should be on the front foot to the NRL about- and hopefully with the support of other clubs. To lose one spine player is hard- to lose two could destroy our season. Yes, unlike Cody, Amone's 2023 future is uncertain- but all the evidence so far points to the uncertainty being whether his future is bad (no finalised legal process in 2023) or extremely bad (a guilty plea in which case we are likely to be without him for some time).

We copped the ignominy of being the first club to experience the stand down rule and it was a drawn-out legal debacle for De Belin and an on-field debacle for the club in that we struggled to attract a like for like replacement when we finally could. We said and did very little then. Time to show some gumption.

Kiama_Dragon

Juniors

Possm did you watch Sloan play fullback in Reggie’s last year? He has talent but he was way off pushing for a first grade spot. The club should definitely be looking to bolster the fullback and 5/8 position with Ramsey & Amone being out.

I reckon that the pool of genuine first grade talent in the NRL is stretched pretty thin across 17 teams - especially when it gets concentrated in certain clubs like the Roosters and Melbourne (who seemingly defy the restrictions of the cap with TPA's or the allure of playing with a top club) or Penrith (who have made a real effort to invest in the development of their junior product). The idea of becoming successful by keeping a squad together for a few seasons and watching them ignite once they gel is really unlikely.
To me, the Penrith approach (one which worked well for us in the past) is the most sensible, so hats off to the club for investing in a Centre of Excellence. ( Hopefully they also produce a Hooker of Excellence). Until we start to reap the benefits of this initative, we're a definite 9th - 13th place finish, year in, year out.

BLM01

First Grade
I reckon that the pool of genuine first grade talent in the NRL is stretched pretty thin across 17 teams - especially when it gets concentrated in certain clubs like the Roosters and Melbourne (who seemingly defy the restrictions of the cap with TPA's or the allure of playing with a top club) or Penrith (who have made a real effort to invest in the development of their junior product). The idea of becoming successful by keeping a squad together for a few seasons and watching them ignite once they gel is really unlikely.
To me, the Penrith approach (one which worked well for us in the past) is the most sensible, so hats off to the club for investing in a Centre of Excellence. ( Hopefully they also produce a Hooker of Excellence). Until we start to reap the benefits of this initative, we're a definite 9th - 13th place finish, year in, year out.
Yes your 1st part is the elephant in the room. Two fixes
1. Less teams at so called elite level (12 team comp - least favoured as it will mean 5 Sydney sides go because the media and NRL wont let the bigger 1 city / region sides go unfortunately) or
2. Less investment by NRL to the elite and admin and more at lower levels

No prizes for guessing which one would be more likely to happen!

COE great idea but is a building only. You need the right and best people working in it and behind the scenes and suits a large geographic junior base like ours.

Latest posts