What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentary Watch 2012

CyberKev

Staff member
Well, I surely must speak for everyone when I say how good it is to be heading into an AFL season without fear of being subjected to the puerile commentary stylings of Messers Walls and Lane. That said, there will be toolishness on offer and I thought we may be able to track some of it through this rolling thread.

* Maybe it was the presence of 'the Dwayne', dumbing things down in the box, but the team got off to a dubious start in the game on Friday night. No sooner had big boxes alerted viewers to the fact that Collingwood was paying $3.50 for the flag and Hawthorn $4.50 (Geelong has been $4 for sometime now); that team members began falling over themselves to breathlessly proclaim how Hawthorn were the premiership favourites!!!

Honourable mention must also be made of Dennis Cometti waiting all of 0000.231 seconds to hang Lance Franklin for what replays would subsequently show as being a fair tackle.

Anything else from Round 1?

CyberKev

Staff member
dont hold back CK

Haha. Yeah, its a bit Andrew Bolt deep so far, but I'm confident that the blunders will flow as the season progresses.

With Walls and Lane I could have provided a shopping list and that would have just been from the pre-match discussions.

CyberKev

Staff member
Who were BT & Co trying to kid last night?

There they were early in the last banging-on about how Hird had gone ape-droppings at his players as three quarter-time, only for the accompanying footage to show Hird functioning at a level of fieryness that most people could only attain by chasing their prozac with a dose of valium.

Sheesh!

CyberKev

Staff member
Not exactly commentary, but its sort of related...

Pathetic effort from the boys on AFL 360 last night, most specifically - Maclure and King - falling over themselves to indulge in Judd excusism.

Boys, let it go, he perpetrated another nasty one and failed (again) to man up about it.

And, can we refrain from talking about it as a dodgy tackling technique that umpteen players are getting away with every week?

If we need to debate the legitimacy of grabbing an opponent by one arm to instigate a tackle we can do that seperately, but you're NOT making a tackle when a player is prostrate on the ground with an opponent sitting on his back and you come in and start wrenching his shoulder.

Sheesh.

And in amongst all the media focus on Judd and Ziebell, what may otherwise have been quite a talking point has slipped by, again. I've always hated it when players launch a big shove on an unsuspecting opponent over the boundary line when play has finished. Its spineless stuff and is likely to result in a very nasty injury to some poor bastard. Daniel Rich should rightly be embarrassed by his effort on the weekend, perpetrating an especially aggressive instance of this despicable action. He's lucky to have only got what he got for it, and its something that should be cracked down on hard.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I saw Ratten's hissy fit on Foxsports this morning defending Rudd.

Obviously circling the waggons but geez, love is blind

CyberKev

Staff member
^^^

Yeah, he came off looking a tad unhinged.

The problem was that he couldn't decide on exactly what it was he wanted to focus on and things devolved into a rant.

His initial line was fine and if he'd largely kept Judd at arms length he had a fair point in strongly refuting that Carlton has an overt problem with its tackling technique.

Unfortunately, he fell into another stream of Judd excusism that was quite cringeworthy to watch.

With the Judd situation, the standard response from Carlton affiliates should be - "Its disappointing, he did the wrong thing; will now serve his punishment for it and both club and player will move on from it."

Last edited:

Latest posts