What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentators thread...

Moffo

Referee
We have one every year on the forums

Personal vendettas against certain commentators.....

Tony Greig- A Grade goose

Bill Lawry - Tool without a brain

Ian Healy - Boring

Navjot Sidhu - Does this man possess a brain?

Geoff Boycott - See Healy

Any more?

Cheers,
Moffo

Anonymous

Juniors
Kerry O'Keefe-Funniest man alive

Geoff Lawson- Mr 'If you don't want to talk about the university of NSW I don't want to know you'

Jim Maxwell/Richie Benaud-Genuinely good commentators

Bill Lawry-Apt to go a touch over the top. But great game caller

Tony Greig-'Oh what a moarvellos shot. Now, on to the next piece of memorabilia....'

Mark Taylor-SPIT OUT THE F*&^*NG CHEWWY TUBBY!

Ian Healy-Sombody get me a gun......

Ian Chappell-Says it like it is

Ian Smith-See response to Healy

Any Indian commentator-'I do think the Indians were very very unlucky today. The margin of 1 innings and 477 runs in 2 days was very very close as you can see. I think Tendulkar was clearly not out when he was clean bowled first ball off a genuine delivery. And although they were not part of the 'official' team, the spectators who caught Gilchrists 23 6's were Indians so I cannot believe he was not given out.........'

Michael Holding and Colin Croft-'Hey-Be cool, mon'

El Diablo

Post Whore
Tony Greig - Get rid of him ASAP.

Ian Smith - Can't stand him. His accent is annoyin as hell.

Warney - The greatest of all time!!!!!!!!!!

Richie - An icon. Nearly as good as The Great Man.

Tubby - Yesterday he said "Zimbabwe will get close to 300 here" or something similar. They were 9/298 at the time :roll: . Enuff said.

Skull - That laugh says it all :lol:

ozbash

Referee
i always thought smithy had quite a cultured accent 8)

danny morrison is grouse

navjot is my alltime favourite

Moffo

Referee
ah, the chappells...a favourite of mine

wish they'd all get locked away somewhere and never come out. Grumpy old bitter men

Navjots a goose ozbash :lol:

Moffo

my personal favourite is ian smith he dowsnt care who his commentary partener is he will take the piss out of any body and he is funny to.

Doctor

Bench
Ian Healy: I think he is quite good. Out of the new batch, he is easily the most informative.

Tubby and Warney need to try a new line of post-cricket career moves. They're ordinary.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
lets go through the commentators from each country:

Australia

Richie Benaud: a legend, a bit boring sometimes, but still good cricket voice, it wont be the same when he leaves.
Tony Grieg: talk about the cracks instead of the cricket.
Bill Lawry: still got it, especially when he says, "its all happening here"
Ian Chappell: not bad, but I reckon hes almost finished. When he commentates it sounds like hes p*sed off at something.
Ian Healy: ok a bit, but tries too hard
Mark Taylor: hasnt been the same since the Windies series 2000/01

others

Kerry O'keefe: funniest bloke I ever seen especially his laugh, cricket needs more of blokes like him
David Hookes: see Ian Healy
Jim Maxwell/Geoff Lawson: good commentators on radio, but on Tv arent as good as they are on radio.

New Zealand:

Ian Smith: annoying, please dont get me started
Martin Crowe/ Danny Morrison: see Ian Smith
Grant Nesbitt: the guy that does the rugby in NZ, hes good in fact waaaay better than the other Kiwi commentators

England:

Most of these guys you can hardly hear on TV, not as good as the Aussie ones. Some of them bag their own cricketers half the time. Bob Willis seems to be the only decent one. Geoff Boycott was annoying but funny at times, the way he bags english cricketers.

South Africa:

Mike Heysman: hes alright, the best one out of all of them
the others I dont really know that well, Kepler Wessels I saw a bit of him during the World Cup he seemed ok

India:

Well if theyre commentating a match with no Tendulkar, theyre not intereted, and if he gets out they say: "not a good decision by the umpire, I thought he was not out". Ravi Shastri is annoying a bit, yet is the only decent one

West Indies:

Tony Cozier: pretty good, I cant imagine what a West indies match would be like without him commentating.
Michael Holding: see Tony Cozier, "Yeah mon"

why do so many aussies hate Ian smith, I can see why people dont like martin wackadodo crowe becuase he is an idiot but Ian smith is a legend.

bucko

Juniors
Ian Chappel is too boring when compared to Lawry or Grieg. I like Grieg and Lawry together, adds a feel of excitement. Richie Benaud is a legend, and always gives pretty cool descriptions of the prize in the classic catches competition. Don't have a problem with Heals, Tubby or Warney. I can't stand the kiwi accent. The West Indian's are always good for a laught though I find...

Rustay

Juniors
I like Tony Greig, he puts some personality into his coverage. Plus i will never forget is "off-air" comment about the wedding in a park across from the ground, saying "Where did they fly her in from?" or something like that, referring to some Asian girl. :lol:

Ian Smith and Ian Healy are good too.

Kasper

Bench
Richie Benaud-Great
Tony GreigShocking just shithouse.....only good for sticking the key into the pitch.
Ian HealyYawn.........how boring.
Mark Tayloraverage
WarneyGive him a commentating suspension too so we don't have to hear his pointless comments.

Doctor

Bench
bucko said:
Ian Chappel is too boring when compared to Lawry or Grieg. I like Grieg and Lawry together, adds a feel of excitement. Richie Benaud is a legend, and always gives pretty cool descriptions of the prize in the classic catches competition. Don't have a problem with Heals, Tubby or Warney. I can't stand the kiwi accent. The West Indian's are always good for a laught though I find...

Poor old Bertie Chappell is just plain boring. He lets himself down by his terrible knowledge of the laws of cricket too.

If anything slightly unusual happens on the field, Bertie (bless his cotton socks) will pipe up and try to explain the cricket law relevant to the events on the field. Of course he goes in with no help, and no knowledge, emerging from the other side somewhat disgraced by his inability to understand the laws of the game he his commentating on.

He is a local cricket umpire's worst nightmare - we're the ones that have to explain to further-confused cricketers that Ian Chappell hasn't a clue what he is talking about, and then he is indeed somewhat lacking in his knowledge of laws.

Besides that, he is boring, and does seem a bit cranky at times - Mark Taylor is just annoying.

As for Warne's commentating ability. It can be best summarised by this gem by Warne during the series against Bangladesh:

"Yes, as we look at Stuart MacGill's action in slow motion, we can see plenty of revelations on the delivery."

Revelations? I think you mean revolutions Warney - but then again it would be a revelation of sorts if they appointed a new commentator ahead of you. :roll:

Latest posts