What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentators

TheRev

First Grade
tbf we havent been pretty a pretty team to watch in a long time.. so noone looks forward to our games (other than dragons fans).. and it seems to lead to a predisposition where commentators want the favourite players/teams to do well.. Brandy I will say has seemed to really have it in for us for a very long time.. but tbf we have been horrible for a really long time...

What I dislike though is these 'experts' just ride the bandwagon... they are either "all in" with a lovefest and praising the bejesus out of us for our physicality that they will say was "clearly not there during <xyz games>", or they are all out bagging us as useless with "the dragons are rubbish, where was the physicality we saw in <xyz games>."

There is no nuance as to whats going on in the game.. whats the ref been doing with 6-agains.. did we get a dud call, did we narrowly miss a try that would have broken our opposition, whats our opposition doing, whos injured, whos gassed.. there are reasons that change the momentum of games, and at some point it breaks most teams... we are probably less resilient than most.. but even we have broken a few sides this year, including the dolphins and tbh 22pts in a half against the broncos.

We played pretty well against the Rorters last week too.. we competed against a far far far superior squad for as long as we could.. but they just see the final scoreline and thats the only relevant part to them.. anzac day was the same.. the dogs game another.. 2 serious injuries early and only lost our way in the back end.. no nuance.. no mention of what losing a centre and starting prop means..

Revesby boy

Juniors
tbf we havent been pretty a pretty team to watch in a long time.. so noone looks forward to our games (other than dragons fans).. and it seems to lead to a predisposition where commentators want the favourite players/teams to do well.. Brandy I will say has seemed to really have it in for us for a very long time.. but tbf we have been horrible for a really long time...

What I dislike though is these 'experts' just ride the bandwagon... they are either "all in" with a lovefest and praising the bejesus out of us for our physicality that they will say was "clearly not there during <xyz games>", or they are all out bagging us as useless with "the dragons are rubbish, where was the physicality we saw in <xyz games>."

There is no nuance as to whats going on in the game.. whats the ref been doing with 6-agains.. did we get a dud call, did we narrowly miss a try that would have broken our opposition, whats our opposition doing, whos injured, whos gassed.. there are reasons that change the momentum of games, and at some point it breaks most teams... we are probably less resilient than most.. but even we have broken a few sides this year, including the dolphins and tbh 22pts in a half against the broncos.

We played pretty well against the Rorters last week too.. we competed against a far far far superior squad for as long as we could.. but they just see the final scoreline and thats the only relevant part to them.. anzac day was the same.. the dogs game another.. 2 serious injuries early and only lost our way in the back end.. no nuance.. no mention of what losing a centre and starting prop means..
Good read!!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think the commentators just call what they see and Saints have been terrible for a few years and I think I heard someone say that Saints and Flanno are a success story this season. I have heard good things said but also some criticism which I tend to agree with most of the time especially when it comes to Saints attack. How many times have they been in the opposition 20 and looked clueless. It has become embarrassing and I am glad they point that out sometimes.

Last night I am pretty sure the commentators were all for the try to Rava scoring which was disallowed but then were not convince Tui scored later which they then sort of agreed was 50/50.

If Saints win a few games on the trot the commentators will jump on but that is the issue with Saints this year, 1 game they are good the next they are awful. It is hard to be positive with a team that is so inconsistent or should I say consistently good 1 week bad the next.

Old Timer

Coach
Dont worry about it. They have their scripts and agendas they have to abide b y from the producers.
It is the media dont forget. Dont take them to heart. Id rather fly under the radar
You are quite correct.

The beloved grandson has a job doing stats for a company involved with the NRL.

One "measurable" is "commentator animation" and another "coach's reaction".

These have real consequences if not enough hits are being recorded.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Commentary on the radio with the TV on mute was always the preferred way for me.

Radio commentators call each play as it’s happening. TV commentators tend to be waffling / fanboying whilst play is occurring because they don’t need to call every little
movement that’s going on

But on that note, bring back Roy & HG. Happy to take the piss out of anyone and any team.

Never a bad game had when listening to them

Latest posts