What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comments from Gallen!

cronullashark

Juniors
Stuart weighing Tuqiri option

By Brent Read and Wayne Smith
February 26, 2007
LOTE Tuqiri is a target for the Sharks, but not so important that the club will risk losing youngsters such as Paul Gallen, Reece Williams and David Simmons, coach Ricky Stuart said yesterday.
The Sharks are among a number of NRL clubs bidding for the former Brisbane and now Australia rugby union wing, who has indicated he will consider returning to rugby league when his Australian Rugby Union contract expires at the end of the year.
The ARU is also in the process of formulating a revised bid for Tuqiri, although the union is expected to reduce its initial offer of close to $1million a season.
Tuqiri turned down an offer from the ARU just before Christmas, believed to have been a three-year deal worth about $2.4 million, which had an immediate sign-on component built into it.
"We certainly value Lote," ARU chief negotiator Pat Wilson said yesterday.
"We put in a healthy and attractive offer before Christmas based on him committing to rugby exclusively.
"We respect his right to explore other options but any offer we table in future will reflect that position."
Stuart has already met Tuqiri, and the coach is convinced the player is serious about a return to rugby league.
The Sharks and Australia coach is in the process of putting together a formal offer with the help of outside sponsors, which he hopes will be lucrative enough to convince Tuqiri to remain in Sydney and play with the Sharks.
"He would be outstanding for the club," Stuart said.
"He brings versatility as a player, he brings a great profile to the club.
"I'm really keen to sign him. He's a really important target for us.
"I have a figure in my head of what I think he's worth to the Sharks. It's a matter of him wanting to come.
"The most important thing for me is that he wants to play for Cronulla. I won't be signing any player for the sake of a contract.
"They have to want to play for the club, and support what we're trying to promote in terms of culture and attitude.
"I don't say that lightly. I'm adamant about that."
The difficulty for the Sharks and other NRL clubs bidding for Tuqiri - Gold Coast, Brisbane and South Sydney - is the fact that they must find room to pay him under the NRL's $4 million salary cap.
Stuart made it clear that the Sharks could ill-afford to use $400,000 of cap money on any player, particularly given the fact that Gallen, Simmons and Williams were among a group coming off contract at the end of the season.
That's where external sponsors are expected to play a key role in the Sharks' attempt to sign Tuqiri, who has indicated that he will be reticent to drop money in comparison with rugby union.
Gold Coast officials have been exploring outside sources while Souths majority owners Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe are expected to tap into their array of business contacts.
Brisbane is the wild-card, and Tuqiri will hold further talks this week with the Broncos and coach Wayne Bennett when they return from England.
"I won't be signing a player that's going to risk me losing players such as Gallen, Williams, Simmons and some of the junior players we're trying to re-sign," Stuart said.
"It's not worth signing a player if you're going to lose other players. It has to be third-party agreements that get him what he wants."
Queensland Rugby Union chairman Peter Lewis confirmed yesterday that the Reds were interested in signing Tuqiri, but he conceded that New South Wales would win out if money alone decided the issue.
"There has been some interest from the corporate community in supporting Lote with third-party sponsorships, and we've targeted a couple of them," Lewis said.
"We are quite genuine in our approach to him.
"It's no secret the Reds are skinny on outside backs.
"It's a case of asking Lote what he wants to be.
"We're told he'd rather be in Queensland and we're told he believes he plays his best rugby under Eddie Jones, so we're not without hope."
Nevertheless, Stuart believes Tuqiri is genuine in his desire to return to the NRL.
If Tuqiri does return, and if he signs for the Sharks, Stuart is looking at moving him from the wing, where he says Tuqiri's talents are wasted.
"If he's going to play for money, he will stay in rugby union," Stuart said.
"I honestly think he wants to come back to rugby league. I think he feels he's achieved what he wants to achieve in rugby union."
Gallen has meanwhile given an indication that he may explore the open market before deciding where he will play in 2008.
The NSW Blues back rower has begun talks with the Sharks after previously expressing his desire to remain at the club beyond this season.
"I was thinking about having a look at other options," he said.
"There have been some talks going on. I don't get involved in it. I did a few years ago and it put pressure on me."
<A class=image href="http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/?from=ni_story"">
h14_theaustralian.gif

i thought that he had agreed to terms and now he is saying that he is thinking at having a look at other options, i think manly are going at him hard because luke odonnell may be going to yawnion, which means more cash for him!

Inferno

Coach
Stuart made it clear that the Sharks could ill-afford to use $400,000 of cap money on any player, particularly given the fact that Gallen, Simmons and Williams were among a group coming off contract at the end of the season.

Especially after paying Ben Ross 400k a season :S.

If Gallen goes we would most certainly have enough to top up Lote's contract as well as retain everyone that's off contract.

Question is how much is Gallen worth, and how much is he likely to get on the open market.

Another interesting point is there is no mention on Dykes or Kimmorley's contracts which would be among our highest, despite the two of them being off contract this year.

Fin077

Juniors
I thought he'd recently signed a new contract aswell.

To be honest I'm getting a little tired of hearing about him moving, then staying, then moving.....work it out fellas, and if you cant, let him go and use the cash to sign Lote.

We got backrowers lined up down Cpt Cook Drive! ;-) :D

Special K

Coach
i'd lose williams and simmons for lote in a heart beat. gallen would be tough to swallow losing but if we kept williams and landed lote then i could live with bird moving to lock.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Sticky said:
"The most important thing for me is that he wants to play for Cronulla. I won't be signing any player for the sake of a contract.
"They have to want to play for the club, and support what we're trying to promote in terms of culture and attitude.
"I don't say that lightly. I'm adamant about that."

Well they are just words but I like that line of thinking.

shark_fin_soup

Juniors
paul gallen is starting to sound alot like lote... full of himself. id let gallen do whatever he wants and focus on signing luke odonell. gallen is replacable and the team will have better field position and less drop ball without him.

Gallen is 25, O'Donnell is 26, not much difference in age Gallen 102 first grade games & 1 origin match, O'Donnell 119 first grade games,2 origin matches & 11 test matches, those stats would say, if money close O'Donnell would be the one to get

island pro

Juniors
i'd say that if he doesn't want to be a shark then don't chase him... same criteria as Stuart set for Lote. The guys who genuinely want to wear the black white and blue, whatever their motivation, should be the ones at our club.

The Popper

Bench
He said tonight that us chasing Lote is `pie in the sky'. Maybe his head is swollen from the attention by Manly. Manly have destroyed at least 3 clubs through their mercenary ways. I don't trust the bastards. Haven't trusted them since 1971. It took the Super League war to finally destroy the stranglehold of power and influence they had on the game. No doubt they're now back to their old ways. What's probably going on in the background no doubt has a negative effect on our club........and any other club they start sinking their claws in to.

Latest posts