What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

Big Pete

Referee
Given the string of penalties against them in recent times you might as well just ban it out-right.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

RLNY

Juniors
Wow, I totally agree with this one. Shoulder charges are the bane of rugby league's existance. I would at least enforce the no-head shots rule.

Big Pete

Referee
If the NRL is serious about protecting the players then I believe they should take every precaution they can.

It's going to be a shame to see what can one of the most spetacular parts of our game go but the way the game is going I believe it's just going to be apart of the sacrifice.

What say you LU? Think of the children or harden the f**k up?

Ram Man

Juniors
No way...its a contact sport...we are becoming more and more like rugby union...Im happy to ban it when kids are playing (Which I think it already is) but they are big boys and they can handle it....Its great theatre, the crowd absolutely loves it when these come off...

So if you shoulder charge a bloke without making any kind of contact with the head you would be penalised? On what basis? If you don't like them f**k off to union with all the other softcocks.

If the NRL is serious about protecting the players then I believe they should take every precaution they can.
By that theory they'd just ban all tackling and have the players wear helmets just in case they fell over and hit their head or something.

Grapple

Bench
I think it should get ruled out, as much as I love watching the hits. We rule out the cannonball for potential damage to the legs, knees or lower back. It should be done for the head.

Harden the f*ck up.

Im sick of trying to appeal to the mums , the reason I love rugby league is because it's the toughest footy code in the world. Take that away and it's going to be a pale imitation.

Ram Man

Juniors
I think it should get ruled out, as much as I love watching the hits. We rule out the cannonball for potential damage to the legs, knees or lower back. It should be done for the head.

Bullshit...the head is not the target of a shoulder charge....comparing it to the cannonball is ridiculous

miccle

Bench
No way.

Some are high, so penalise them.

Many also aren't overly effective and don't complete the tackle, but when they are done legally and well, they can be spectacular. Keep them in the game.

Grapple

Bench
Bullshit...the head is not the target of a shoulder charge....comparing it to the cannonball is ridiculous

My point is that the NRL is outlawing it based on potential damage to the player. It's already happening, that's the point, not whether you like it or not.

I'm all for making the hit, but have some control trying to wrap your arm around the player, or come at him from front on..... at the very least. The shoulder charge is just reckless, regardless if you're aiming for the upper body you can't have a perfect aim like that running at full speed from an angle. Look at how many times the players this season have made contact with the head?

Big Pete

Referee
My biggest issue isn't so much the damage it can cause because I believe Rugby League is a tough sport but rather the inconsistency in the ruling.

Snappy

Coach
Wow, I totally agree with this one. Shoulder charges are the bane of rugby league's existance. I would at least enforce the no-head shots rule.

They already do. What do ya think the penalties and suspensions have been for ?

Ram Man

Juniors
My point is that the NRL is outlawing it based on potential damage to the player. It's already happening, that's the point, not whether you like it or not.

I'm all for making the hit, but have some control trying to wrap your arm around the player, or come at him from front on..... at the very least. The shoulder charge is just reckless, regardless if you're aiming for the upper body you can't have a perfect aim like that running at full speed from an angle. Look at how many times the players this season have made contact with the head?

And you can have perfect aim when you wrap your arms around as opposed to shoulder charge????
You will never stop players from tackling from different angles...it cannot happen...what if the ball runner changes his line and you cant tackle from front on...too many variables even when tackling with your arms...

The cannonball is detrimental to the game because it looks like a cheap shot and is potentially career ending...being held by others players then having your legs attacked is no accident...shoulder charges that go wrong is a completely different ball game.

Im not saying that head shots are any different as far as damage but the shoulder charge that results in a hit to the head is purely an accident and when men travel at these speed into each other...shit is gonna go wrong from time to time...cannot avoid it...if people dont like it then go watch something else...

Last edited:

RLNY

Juniors
Look, I know rugby league is a tough game. Look at Jharal Yow Yeh and his broken ankle. But one thing you don't f*&k around with is head shots and concussions. They lead to life-long permanent disability and brain damage. Just google up CTE and the NFL to see how really bad repeated concussions can get. The thing is that I think that the shoulder charge is the main cause of concussions in league. There is not really other ways you can get a concussion in league. There is no blocking like in the NFL, there are no set pieces like in union, it is not 360 degree game like in AFL, and most of the tackles are gang wrestles.

If there is a way to allow shoulder charging that also clamps down on head shots, that would be they way to go imo. If there is no other way to protect players' heads than to ban shoulder charges, then so be it.
Look, I know rugby league is a tough game. Look at Jharal Yow Yeh and his broken ankle. But one thing you don't f*&k around with is head shots and concussions. They lead to life-long permanent disability and brain damage. Just google up CTE and the NFL to see how really bad repeated concussions can get. The thing is that I think that the shoulder charge is the main cause of concussions in league. There is not really other ways you can get a concussion in league. There is no blocking like in the NFL, there are no set pieces like in union, it is not 360 degree game like in AFL, and most of the tackles are gang wrestles.

If there is a way to allow shoulder charging that also clamps down on head shots, that would be they way to go imo. If there is no other way to protect players' heads than to ban shoulder charges, then so be it.

docbrown

Coach
If a player gets shoulder charged - let's face it - they usually deserve it.

Now if a player delibrately charges the head, then that's what should be penalised.

I'm quite over this soften up the game attitude.

A player with little awareness of his surroundings should get what he deserves.

The defence should be trying to charge down ever kick.

Kickers should not be a protected species, as long as it isn't a dangerous tackle, then it should be fair game.

High ball kick catches should be a contest in mid air as long as the defence isn't put into a dangerous position.

It shouldn't be a wrestling match. It's a game of colliding opposing forces.

Latest posts