What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comparing our club to the sale of ice cream.

matPORTS

Juniors
Those who follow Formula 1 (thank god I have other sporting interests if I do say so) will know about the recent circus regarding the 2016 qualifying format. Sebastian Vettel has compared Formula 1's management to a bunch of Ice Cream salesman as a result...

If you sell vanilla ice cream, but everybody who comes to your shop is asking for chocolate ice cream, naturally the next day you open you would expect to be selling chocolate ice cream. But instead, you just continue to sell only vanilla ice cream.

This same analysis applies to our club. Usually you do what your clients and key stakeholders would like you to do, but you are not really doing the job if you continue to do the exact opposite.

Key stakeholders also include fans of other clubs. I can't imagine right now that every neutral fan out there is all that excited about only receiving vanilla ice cream from us.

Personally I'm more excited about watching the likes of Semi Radradra, James Tedesco & Blake Austin run around at present. What hurts is that the likes of Duges, Aitken, Widdop and Benji are more than capable of playing a great brand of footy like the names mentioned, but are restricted by our very vanilla style of play.

Apologies for another thread (mods feel free to merge if necessary), but it is a very sorry state of affairs right now. I'm sure most of us saw it coming.

Mr Red

First Grade
become a member so you can vote and kick out the nasty ice cream salesmen...
personally i prefer hazelnut..

blacksafake

First Grade
Interesting analogy there Matports but so spot on.Someone like Benji must be hitting his head(like us supporters)against the wall with the robotic boring style of play that is obviously coached into them.We can all complain as much as we like about losing our good young juniors, but truth be told they are probably better off elsewhere as their flamboyant style of play would be coached out of them.Even if we had the biggest 5/8 in the world in Kasiano he would be turned into a battering ram with no thought of offloading.:crazy:

St Georgio

Juniors
Interesting analogy there Matports but so spot on.Someone like Benji must be hitting his head(like us supporters)against the wall with the robotic boring style of play that is obviously coached into them.We can all complain as much as we like about losing our good young juniors, but truth be told they are probably better off elsewhere as their flamboyant style of play would be coached out of them.Even if we had the biggest 5/8 in the world in Kasiano he would be turned into a battering ram with no thought of offloading.:crazy:

Unfortunately our head Chef only knows how to make Vanilla Ice Scream, at least Browny went over to St Helens to learn how to make other flavors, unfortunately @ Newcastle they have no freezers.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I know some people who are good friends with the Brooks, Moses and Tedesco families. Towards the end of last season and during the off season the 3 threatened to walk away from the club if the coach did not change the style of play into a more attacking and free flowing structure.

Mr Red

First Grade

"Experts" have been hinting that Barge Ass should take the 300k offer as if he doesnt he may not have a club for next season. Personally if i was the dragons i would be withdrawing any offer immediately.
300k can be better spent elsewhere..

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting comparison and highlights we are a club with certain inbuilt faults.

Coaching
Only on the very odd occasion do we ever employ coaches who have in fact not played for or been involved with the club from junior days.

Roy Maters was the first time ever we employed an outsider and there would only be a couple since then. Just because they have Dragons blood does not mean they are the right person for the job.

Long Term players
We have a much higher % than most if not all clubs in respect of having 1 club players.

In recent times Creagh, Nightingale, Hornby, Young, Cooper (maybe a few I missed) and most have been held onto past their prime.

Hornby got the record for most games played and Creagh is on the verge of beating it. Honestly were either in good enough form to warrant continued selection?

Is it about the recored for them? Is the club trying to reward them for the meritorious service?

Simple fact is other clubs are ruthless and move long term players on to upgrade while we keep them and turn them into battering rams and shadows of what they once were.

Keep Picking Bad Buys
All clubs make dud buys but most clubs face the stark reality of that and make the tough decision and drop or offload them.

However we keep professing that the dud buy is just out of form and adjusting to our "style" and he will eventually come good.

So we keep picking them to the detriment of the team and fans.

Blooding Youth
Every other club except us seem to find 20 year olds that can achieve at NRL level.

We hang onto our long term players and consistently pick the new signings even when they prove to be duds always at the expense of juniors who show potential.

IMO all of the above is ingrained in the DNA of the Club.

Until we make the quantum leap to understand this is a business and the shareholders are entitled to some dividends we will fill this forum with posts about "WHAT IF".

Never though I would say it but on current form Hairtail fishing at sparrows fart in the dead of winter is looking more attractive than watching our lot play footy.

Not sure Vanilla Ice Cream goes with pilchards but I'll get back to you.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
we think that we are
StreetsLogo-144x125_tcm72-315926_0.jpg
ahead in what we are doing..

but then we get games like saturday night, where it felt like the team played with no
HavaHeart_LP-copy-copy-200x231.png
, which makes us all mad..

because as fans we then feel like anything we hear from management or coaching staff at the club is all
bulladairy.jpg

and of course, blame goes all the way to the top, so we know that the true issue with the club is all
fb.png
fault...

sigh.. if only we could get back wayne bennett... that would be
7512747-th.jpg
for all of us..

giboz71

First Grade
I know some people who are good friends with the Brooks, Moses and Tedesco families. Towards the end of last season and during the off season the 3 threatened to walk away from the club if the coach did not change the style of play into a more attacking and free flowing structure.

Interesting (if true). Always take these things with a grain of salt, but they sure are playing differently.

Maybe our big 3 should do something similar and threaten to walk unless Mary changes the game plan to suit them (whatever that looks like?).

Mr Red

First Grade

Tedesco did walk away - he signed with the Raiders and then re-nigged on the deal.

He has been outstanding this season and should be NSW fullback, with Jennings and Roberts as the centre pairing.. Josh morris can move to the wing to cater for the loss of Brett, as they like "big bodies" on the wings..

But good old predictable Laurie Daley will no doubt have favourite DUgan in there somewhere...

Wittenberg

Juniors
Good post Old Timer. All pretty spot on. The other trait is that we constantly think that we are better than we are. Gibozm have we got a Big Three? Only joking!

BLM01

First Grade
"Experts" have been hinting that Barge Ass should take the 300k offer as if he doesnt he may not have a club for next season. Personally if i was the dragons i would be withdrawing any offer immediately.
300k can be better spent elsewhere..
Agree