What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Competitive in every game

dragon thomo

Juniors
With the squad we have now we need to be in the fight in every game. The time has come to put to a end of mid season slumps. This should be the make or break year for McGregor.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So what happens in the unlikely event that every single game we play this year goes to golden point, but we lose every single one of them?

We were extremely competitive in every game but still finish with the spoon..

SBD82

Coach
So what happens in the unlikely event that every single game we play this year goes to golden point, but we lose every single one of them?

The dreaded "most consistent" award at the end of season presentation.

I'm not carried away by the squad. The backline is at least just as pedestrian as last year. Norman or Widdop will be playing fullback so we'll lose the burst of pace Dufty gave us. We've lost De Belin with no chance of like-for-like replacement. We were one bench forward short even before we lost De Belin. And we've got a full thirty player squad over stacked with planks and reserve graders. I reckon seventh or eighth is the upper most ceiling. Unless the forwards that we've got left stay healthy Latimore and Allgood aren't far away from a lot of first grade minutes.

This Year?

Immortal
All I ask as a fan is for the players to have a go like the OP suggests and the coaching staff to make them better people with support. If the players aren't naturally gifted but give their all I can be proud.

What drives me crazy is seeing the early rounds then watching the descent into madness followed by the inevitable injuries and early returns and lack of pride.

This is a capable side and I would be very disappointed if this team doesn't achieve anything and makes the same mistakes as previous seasons. Barring serious injuries and disruptions, a top 4 finish and at least a preliminary final appearance should be achievable.

Our biggest “loss” will be JDB if he is preoccupied with the looming court case.

We had plenty of average fringe first graders last season as well.

Of the planks, only Lats got significant game time. By and large Lats exceeded my expectations.

We have a well balanced squad overall.

The key to our success or failure is in the hands of the coach.

The competition between 5-12 is fierce.

It’s a fine line between pleasure and pain.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
It comes down to your personal definition of "competitive".

For example, you can lose 30 - 12 and still have been competitive, just the other team was more competitive at that time.

I guess the finer definition here is that we give 100% win, lose or draw. Its the effort not the scoreline.

FlameThrower

Bench
Widdop > Hunt > Norman > Dufty will all be under the pump IMO.
Widdop to show fans he is not ion auto pilot mode before ESL.
Hunt to play to his potential as a marquee player.
Norman to prove his worth to his doubters and reboot his career.
Dufty to see if he has learnt from last seasons shortcomings
Coach and coaching staff all under spotlight to avoid another year end fade too!

Reactions: jak

Bench
The biggest test for us in 2019 is how McIdiot uses the bench. Giving the bench players 5-10 minutes is not going to help those players being exposed to first grade.
There will be injuries to players through out the season.
The big test for us is the SOO where we will lose players picked for NSW.
Players like Vaughan, Hunt, Simms and Frizell most likely be selected so we need to have players to cover those positions.

possm

Coach

With Norman now on board we should more easily close out close games giving us a much better chance of winning the close ones.

BennyV

Referee
I'm not carried away by the squad. The backline is at least just as pedestrian as last year. Norman or Widdop will be playing fullback so we'll lose the burst of pace Dufty gave us. We've lost De Belin with no chance of like-for-like replacement. We were one bench forward short even before we lost De Belin. And we've got a full thirty player squad over stacked with planks and reserve graders. I reckon seventh or eighth is the upper most ceiling. Unless the forwards that we've got left stay healthy Latimore and Allgood aren't far away from a lot of first grade minutes.
Barking up the wrong tree Doc. Plenty here think that many of those planks are ‘astute signings’.

denis preston

First Grade
Well negative Nelly this would be Mary's take on things to the board pre season so anything better shines good light on him !

Old Timer

Coach
When you start calling our planks & journeymen planks & journeymen you will get some real push back but I’ll happily ride tandem with you
Your comment re Latimore & Allgood is 100% correct and Millward said as much.

Latest posts