What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Con Mika and McDonnell

PRW

Juniors
What can Hull KR fans realistically expect from Con Mika and Shannon McDonnell this year?

There are a couple of Youtube clips knocking around which show them in pretty good light, but what's the full story.

Is anyone prepared to stick their neck out and say how they will go?

They will both go OK without setting the world on fire I reckon.

Mika is physically impressive and can absolutely own guys in defence, but has an ordinary workrate and sometimes doesn't look that interested. In offense, he runs hard but not that often.

McDonnell is kind of the opposite - lots of heart but not much talent. Small for a fullback so he often gets smashed bringing the ball back, but keeps getting up and going again. Hands are much better than they used to be (a few years ago he was awful). Won't win you many games, won't lose you many either.

Just my opinion.

billy2

Juniors
If we hadn't won the lottery we would have kept them both, and be happy to have them as backup players.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Con is a "10min of quality, 30min of not much" backrower. Can put a hit on but not much else

Shannon is small but has pace and pretty good instincts. He gets smashed easily bringing the ball back and is renowned for killing attacking momentum when chiming into back line moves. Great finisher and support player though.

aqua_duck

Coach
Con Mika is a very, very poor man's Sam Thaiday. McDonnell is a small winger trying to play fullback, unfortunately lacks size and ball skills

Silent Knight

First Grade
If we hadn't won the lottery we would have kept them both, and be happy to have them as backup players.

I'm glad we won the lottery. It means we don't have to accept mediocrity any further, we don't have to put up with bargain basement toilers who "try hard" but ultimately fail to deliver, we don't release Ben Kennedys only to sign Kirk Reynoldsons and we don't count a "good season" as one where we reach 8th spot only to get knocked out by far superior opposition the following week.

Thank Christ for lotteries.

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
Mika could be anything in SL, hard to say what exactly he will bring on a week to week basis.

McDonnell on the other hand has a few upsides, but his weaknesses were exposed in the NRL.

Either way I wish them both luck, as once a Knight, always a Knight.

billy2

Juniors
Can anyone explain to me what Newton did?? im unsure thats all.
walked out on his contract mid season - bad mouthed the club for wanting him to sign a lower contract for the next season - got away with it because his dad caused a stink.

Big Tim

First Grade
except for Clint newton - he can go die

In fear of taking this thread somewhere that it wasnt intended, I dont share this view.

Clint did the wrong thing, if he wanted out he should have got out before the 100th game, but I aint gonna pretend he wasnt part of our club.

In recent years the club has done the exact same things to players. People just got far too butt hurt on this issue.

In fear of taking this thread somewhere that it wasnt intended, I dont share this view.

Clint did the wrong thing, if he wanted out he should have got out before the 100th game, but I aint gonna pretend he wasnt part of our club.

In recent years the club has done the exact same things to players. People just got far too butt hurt on this issue.

:clap::clap::clap:

RHCP

Bench
McDonnell has some pace and is a good support player - soft hitting the ball up and not a great ball player.

Mika has been covered pretty well.

Tom155

Coach
except for Clint newton - he can go die
:thumn that pea hearted piece of sh*t should never be welcome back here ever in any role

:thumbd:

Matt23

Staff member
The timing of Newton's departure is what left a sour taste for most of us...after that game in Brisbane, and i for one can't wait to give it to the prick when the Panthers play up here next season, knowing Newton he'll be "injured"

Latest posts