What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

concussion laws

Eddie Lab

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ey-ignore-concussion-laws-20140227-33k02.html

Clubs face the loss of competition points, and trainers possible suspension from the game if they flout the NRL's new stringent concussion laws.
NRL head of football Todd Greenberg outlined the tough new sanctions at a media briefing on Thursday.
Rugby league is a very tough sport but player health and welfare is at the forefront of every decision we make.
The game's governing body had previously flagged significant changes to the way clubs need to assess players who appear concussed.

They've now handed down a series of possible sanctions in a warning to all clubs ahead of the season start next week.

''This is a very important change in policy and clubs need to understand the gravity of that,'' Greenberg said.
''Rugby league is a very tough sport but player health and welfare is at the forefront of every decision we make.
''Clubs need to understand these are very serious issues.''
Under the new concussion rules a potentially concussed player must be diagnosed by the head trainer, and then if warranted assessed by the club medical doctor, who will determine if he is fit to return to the field. If, according to a series of tests, he is not fit to return, the new rules deem any contravention of that illegal.
If clubs flout the new rules and a concussed player returns to the action, Greenberg outlined a number of possible sanctions which included:

• the loss of competition points;

• a substantial fine; and

• suspension of registration of club personnel.
Greenberg said if a coach, trainer and club doctor are all found in collusion they could all face sanction.
''It would be a very brave coach who puts his position on the line to gain a tactical advantage (by flouting the rules),'' Greenberg said.
''I have made that very clear.
''These changes are for the good of the game.
''The gravity and seriousness of the situation must be understood.''
The new NRL governing concussion come into play when the season starts on March 6 between the Sydney Roosters and South Sydney.

I think this is a great idea. everyone in the game should be taking concussions more seriously.

BunniesMan

Immortal
How will it be enforced? How can you prove a concussed player was allowed to keep playing.

As long as we don't have independent doctors working for the NRL at every game we'll never be sure.

Springs

First Grade
How will it be enforced? How can you prove a concussed player was allowed to keep playing.

As long as we don't have independent doctors working for the NRL at every game we'll never be sure.

If he comes off the field and has a concussion dumbass. The doctors have to treat him for it.
It's pretty clear in the outlines.

If a player is aware enough to hide any signs then I don't think anyone would be punished.

This is a much better idea than the idiotic shoulder charge rule. Just bring this in and get rid of the shoulder charge ban.

Danish

Referee
If he comes off the field and has a concussion dumbass. The doctors have to treat him for it.

If a player is aware enough to hide any signs then I don't think anyone would be punished.

This is a much better idea than the idiotic shoulder charge rule. Just bring this in and get rid of the shoulder charge ban.

And how is the NRL going to know he came off the field with a concussion? They aren't running the tests, and I'm guessing if a club doctor or trainer is going to let a player back on with a concussion then they aren't exactly going to give themselves up by telling the NRL that the player didn't pass them.

Without independent doctors or observers monitoring the treatment of head knocks then the rule is completely pointless.

lockyno1

Post Whore
About time, should have happened 5 years ago. Should make it black and white, if you are concussed, you are subbed out by a 18th man, and you are deemed unfit for the next match. Simple.

innsaneink

Referee
Very very difficult to police

Theyre doing tests on the sideline?

Tough talk and little more imo

carlosthedwarf

First Grade

Very rare that I'd agree with bunniesman but he's right for once. Club doctors will have too weight on their shoulders with a decision.

shiznit

Coach

I don't often agree with BM... But he's on the money here...

When you get a desperate team... With the season on the line... You could potentially have a situation where a player fakes a concussion to get a free interchange.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yeah whatever bring back the shoulder charge.

Yes lets bring back the number 1 thing that increases concussion...don't believe it- read the reports by experts on the shoulder charges. How about people tackle with their arms, it isn't that hard!

Eddie Lab

Juniors
a lot of negative responses to this news. I agree that it'll be hard to police and enforce but I think we can all agree that the NRL needs to do something. having concussed players continue to play and then in post match interviews saying that they can't remember the game is an awfully amateur and dangerous look.

I think a 5th interchange player for serious injury or concussed players with a mandatory week off for the next week to try and stop rorting. any rule the NRL puts in place has the risk of coaches trying to use it as an advantage but I think players safety is worth it.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
So every ground will now have their own MRI and CT scan machines to prove a case of concussion??

Get f**ked!!

There are various symptoms of concussion, plus don't they use that cognitive test?

This thing is a step in the right direction towards player welfare, but I do not believe it will be all that successful until independent doctors are involved. Just make sure the doctors are not mad gamblers hahah.

Joely01

Bench
Yes lets bring back the number 1 thing that increases concussion...don't believe it- read the reports by experts on the shoulder charges. How about people tackle with their arms, it isn't that hard!

Not really actually, Its the shoulder charges that went wrong which were the problem.
If a shoulder charge is pulled off correctly it is one of the best ways to defend, especially for a smaller guy.
The way it should have been policed was to crack down on the shoulder charges that were high, not the ones that were purely just a good hit.

Bulldog Force

Referee
This law has been in Rugby Union for years. Along with the shoulder-charge law, our game is becoming increasingly similar to that game. I agree with this rulle though that player welfare should be put first.

I remember Terence Seuseu was playing a game for either Manly or Newcastle and was concussed. When play stopped a scrum was due to pack. The referee finally saw the state that Terence was in a stopped the clock. Now due to some bureaucracy shit, Terence could not be taken off the field because the game was stopped during play, he had to take part in the scrum, THEN the interchange would take place. Commonsense would say TAKE THE CONCUSSED PLAYER OFF FFS.

I am in favor of this.

Slackboy72

Coach
Agree with this but really the NRL should have been doing something about concussions high shots long before they banned shoulder charges. Stop putting players 'on report' and start sending them off. The rule book doesn't need to change. We just need the refs to stop this Harrigan mentality that they're delivering a spectacle rather than refereeing a game of football.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Agree with this but really the NRL should have been doing something about concussions high shots long before they banned shoulder charges. Stop putting players 'on report' and start sending them off. The rule book doesn't need to change. We just need the refs to stop this Harrigan mentality that they're delivering a spectacle rather than refereeing a game of football.
See sometimes, for example, the players fall into the shoulder or forearms etc and deserve a fair trial. Sending players off for accidents rather than lazy defending isn't fair.

Latest posts