What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CONFIRMED - Canadian team to enter English leagues

Emu01

Juniors
Sounds good, I hope they can make it work as I feel Canada is the country showing the most potential outside of the heartland countries..

They have a lot expat English in Toronto and a tv rights deal to telecast the games.Sounds really promising..Good luck Toronto!

Pommy

Coach
How are the logistics of this going to work? I mean Canada is a long way away. The link just takes you to a forum so I'm not sure what's fact and opinion on there.

bowes

Juniors
How are the logistics of this going to work? I mean Canada is a long way away. The link just takes you to a forum so I'm not sure what's fact and opinion on there.
In short it won't. It's akin to putting Tokyo in the Bundaberg Red Cup. This is a league mostly of new clubs, some of whom play in front of 200 fans and all the players have jobs as well as being paid a bit for playing

latingringo101

Juniors
There's no denying that the $$$ and promotion of Rugby League in Canada would be to play in the Championship 1, but the logistics and short termness of this idea I just don't understand it.

Canada isn't a Professional RL nation, they're in their 5th year of RL being back in Canada and don't pay a single Cent for their players to play.

Sure they could probably have sponsors to cover costs but at what Price? I just don't see how this will help the long term development of RL in Canada

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I dunno, maybe some rich Canadian wants to pump a few million into a whole sport he can more or less run instead of a few million into one player for another sport where he sits back and follows the leaders..

People can spend their money anyway they want.

NZ to Perth is about the distance, RL done that when the Reds were playing, Super Union does it with teams from everywhere these days, but oh no, not Rugby League.

A union troll and a soccer troll in this thread telling us what we can and cant do, gotta keep that mongooooball down.

nzwarriorskuz

Juniors
If this does come to fruition what might have inspired this is the relatively quick growth of RL in Canada, crowd figures etc.. and the Canadian sporting market they may have said RL is so much similar to Canadian football and has a much bigger footprint worldwide that it make sense to get a pro team in early you can't argue with that logic and I'm all for it.

If their first season succeeds and eventually into Championship and Super League but then backup options need to be made such as targeting youth and developing from the ground up, working with the USARL on starting a full pro/semi pro comp that can afford to pay players some sort of wage and play RL at a high level playing regularly to develop further. Either way Canada RL has come along way in such a short space of time so much knockers on here like bowes doesn't even know what's going on behind the scenes.

nzwarriorskuz

Juniors
http://www.exacteditions.com/read/forty20/vol-6-issue-2-48568/3/3/
http://www.exacteditions.com/read/forty20/vol-6-issue-2-48568/4/3/

A team from Toronto in League 1 looks even more likely after the backers - both TV and financial - paid another visit over here to outline their plans and the logistics. More importantly it is believed they have lodged a bond at Red Hall which made the bean (or mushy pea?) counter's eyes light up. The only fly in the ointment seems to be back at home Canada RU are to launch their own pro league at the same time confusingly titled the Rugby North League.

langpark

First Grade
If this does come to fruition what might have inspired this is the relatively quick growth of RL in Canada, crowd figures etc.. and the Canadian sporting market they may have said RL is so much similar to Canadian football and has a much bigger footprint worldwide that it make sense to get a pro team in early you can't argue with that logic and I'm all for it.

If their first season succeeds and eventually into Championship and Super League but then backup options need to be made such as targeting youth and developing from the ground up, working with the USARL on starting a full pro/semi pro comp that can afford to pay players some sort of wage and play RL at a high level playing regularly to develop further. Either way Canada RL has come along way in such a short space of time so much knockers on here like bowes doesn't even know what's going on behind the scenes.
No one is denying that and we all want the very best for them.
But as for your last comment, I'm willing to bet that bowes knows 10-times more than you do when it comes to the Lower leagues of England. Just because he's a realist, doesn't mean he's bagging them.

bowes

Juniors
No one is denying that and we all want the very best for them.
But as for your last comment, I'm willing to bet that bowes knows 10-times more than you do when it comes to the Lower leagues of England. Just because he's a realist, doesn't mean he's bagging them.
Yeah I'm not saying Canada can or can't manage this, what I'm saying is this level of the English game isn't suitable for teams from other continents. It is actually a league with a lot of new development clubs who have worked hard to get to this level and aren't ready for such a big step up. If Canada put a bid in for Super League that was really good I'd have no objection.

Then the morons at the rfl who have decided a club like Toulouse has to start in league 1 (a lower level than their reserve team is currently playing in!), because that's their policy this week, need to wake up to themselves. Let them both into the championship if that's where they want to play and the league 1 clubs won't be involved. But like I said, the league 1 players will be over the moon to be getting a trip to Canada. It might even help them recruit players.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Yeah I'm not saying Canada can or can't manage this, what I'm saying is this level of the English game isn't suitable for teams from other continents. It is actually a league with a lot of new development clubs who have worked hard to get to this level and aren't ready for such a big step up. If Canada put a bid in for Super League that was really good I'd have no objection.
As mentioned on the TRL thread, I don't see the issue or any negative connotations for League 1 clubs as long as they aren't going to lose money. If anything, this would likely give their profile a huge boost.

Big Picture

Juniors

RL is Canadian football, in a way that the so-called Canadian game played in the CFL is not. To all intents and purposes, RL is an improved version of the uniquely Canadian brand of rugby football for which the Grey Cup was donated in 1909. The distinctive features of RL are all improved versions of the distinctive Canadian improvements in that game without exception. If a Canadian who grew up with the CFL wants to understand why the rouge came into existence, he'll understand that in short order from watching RL. I know that from personal experience.

I would love to be proved wrong, but i can't see a team from Canada playing away games in the UK being viable.
The costs alone would be huge.

deluded pom?

Coach

Please explain to me because I still don't understand why it's detrimental to league 1 clubs if the Canadians are footing the bills? In what way, shape or form will it damage the league 1 clubs regardless of how many fans they have?

langpark

First Grade
Please explain to me because I still don't understand why it's detrimental to league 1 clubs if the Canadians are footing the bills? In what way, shape or form will it damage the league 1 clubs regardless of how many fans they have?
That's the part that just doesn't add up.

I wanna get behind this I really do, but I just cannot see it being sustainable. Seriously, so there's a bunch of investors backing this with millions, but what's in it for them? Will it bring in big TV audiences in Canada? Surely not.

The whole thing just sounds extremely fishy. I hope I'm wrong.

deal.with.it

Juniors
The aim of Eric & Corey is to get a team in SL, but they have to start in League 1. They are the ones behind the big attendances at test matches, big name sponsors, tv coverage etc.
They are not focussed on domestic development.
They have the backing to make this happen. There is only one way to get into SL.
A SL comp with leeds, hull, london, perpignan, toulouse, toronto etc.
that could happen by 2019. Who would have thought...

Latest posts